Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Often1
I am surprised that the FA refused your request for a pre-departure beverage. What exactly did they say? If it was for operational reasons, e.g., late departure, short taxi and the like, so be it. But, if they simply refused, it's worth a complaint.
Request was made, the FA (female) never left the galley area again for duration of flight. FA (male) served the "dinner" and then got us orange juice.

Originally Posted by Often1
Just can't imagine someone who can't be bothered to ask a passing FA or hit the call button, taking the time to fill out a survey for UA and then compose and post a whine here.

If it wasn't important at the time when it was fixable, how important is it now?
You are assuming no one asked, not true.

There were a grand total of 7 FC passengers, none of whom were served a beverage of any kind until after "dinner".
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Request was made, the FA (female) never left the galley area again for duration of flight. FA (male) served the "dinner" and then got us orange juice.

You are assuming no one asked, not true.

There were a grand total of 7 FC passengers, none of whom were served a beverage of any kind until after "dinner".
Not that it should matter but mainline or United Express?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
They only serve snack boxes on Express.

According to UA Insider post a couple of moths back that will change.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
They only serve snack boxes on Express.

According to UA Insider post a couple of moths back that will change.
Yes, I understand the difference between a snackbox and a mainline dinner, but some call the snack box dinner.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
but some call the snack box dinner.
Oh

Suppose that would 'splain quoatation marks @:-)

With much of my flying ex DFW, unless going via IAH, see a lot of snack boxes
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Sounds typical for UA front-cabin service on a delayed flight these days. They usually use the delay as an excuse to dial down the service, such as no time for a PDB, which you experienced firsthand.
Agree.

Anytime a flight is late or they have to "rush", they stop all the pre-departure service. If you're lucky, they will at least do water or OJ (once I've had them just do water). But sometimes, they'll skip it altogether and skip hanging up jackets.

I usually find this on legacy UA metal, not legacy CO metal. I've been on CO metal where they are so late and behind, yet there is one FA squeezing by all the people getting on, rushing to take all the drink orders. On legacy UA metal, it's the exact opposite--no service at all.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sounds typical for UA front-cabin service on a delayed flight these days. They usually use the delay as an excuse to dial down the service, such as no time for a PDB, which you experienced firsthand.
Agree.

Anytime a flight is late or they have to "rush", they stop all the pre-departure service. If you're lucky, they will at least do water or OJ (once I've had them just do water). But sometimes, they'll skip it altogether and skip hanging up jackets.

I usually find this on legacy UA metal, not legacy CO metal. I've been on CO metal where they are so late and behind, yet there is one FA squeezing by all the people getting on, rushing to take all the drink orders. On legacy UA metal, it's the exact opposite--no service at all.
I've found the oopposite to be true, with CO FAs capitalizing on the delay and skipping pre-departs, while UA FAs are so afraid because Jeff wants to fire them all, they find a way to do it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
FA's job is safety first! Never forget.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Mainline.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Domestic US first class on narrow body planes is Coach with more seat padding. Not really first class. Applies to every domestic airline I've been on.
Not totally true. Domestic F also has wider seats and a little more pitch. You must be thinking of domestic European F where it really is just coach with blocked middle seat or if lucky the inside armrests move to make it a little wider, but no more legroom than standard coach.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
From the responses, you'd think PDBs are hardly ever served. FWIW, my experience being offered a PDB is over 90%....easily. I actually can't think of a mainline flight in last 2 years w/o being offered one. I'm not going to start a thread because I don't get it once.

Being a LAS origination, are we sure it's not a case of the 7 passengers already having more than enough PDBs, just not on the plane ?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 4, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not totally true. Domestic F also has wider seats and a little more pitch. You must be thinking of domestic European F where it really is just coach with blocked middle seat or if lucky the inside armrests move to make it a little wider, but no more legroom than standard coach.
Better to think of it as Big Seat Economy

Although, I was on a reconfigured A319, and the F pitch was probably equal to that of E+. It's ridiculous now.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From the responses, you'd think PDBs are hardly ever served. FWIW, my experience being offered a PDB is over 90%....easily. I actually can't think of a mainline flight in last 2 years w/o being offered one. I'm not going to start a thread because I don't get it once.

Being a LAS origination, are we sure it's not a case of the 7 passengers already having more than enough PDBs, just not on the plane ?
+1 on both thoughts.

I'm not going to make a post either today how the FA today had a Tito's screwdriver on the ready once I was 3/4 done with one today on EWR-MTJ.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
My experience with delayed flights is dead on with this story. If a flight is late or close to being late, they usually skip the PDB to save time. However that's nothing more than an excuse because coach won't board any more quickly with or without a PDB!!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir
My experience with delayed flights is dead on with this story. If a flight is late or close to being late, they usually skip the PDB to save time. However that's nothing more than an excuse because coach won't board any more quickly with or without a PDB!!
In actuality, the PDB service does minutely slow down coach boarding as the FA fights their way up and down stream taking orders and delivering them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.