Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by dkc715
FortFun: I believe you are misreading the T&C. "New application" does not mean new to the GE program. It is clearly intended to be good for renewals.
My bad, for just quoting rather than going back to the original source.

Or rather, UA's bad, for writing something that confusing. But, in the end, my bad, for not expecting them to write something that confusing.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
I don't have GE, but I've been getting Pre-Check, presumably sponsored by UA in some manner. I have been getting it consistently for the past six months (and almost consistently long before that), but I didn't get it on my most recent two segments. If I don't see it on my next boarding pass, I guess I'll have to hurry up and claim my GE credit.
Could be that, or could be not getting it randomly this time or could be that UA wasn't doing anything, and for whatever reason on these particular trips, the algorithm decided that you weren't trusted enough. No one is guaranteed it all the time, even those with GE or who signed up for the $85 Pre-only program. Some with GE have reported not getting it on occasion, too, though honestly, I can't remember the last time I didn't have it.

Just some food for thought.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
I don't have GE, but I've been getting Pre-Check, presumably sponsored by UA in some manner. I have been getting it consistently for the past six months (and almost consistently long before that), but I didn't get it on my most recent two segments. If I don't see it on my next boarding pass, I guess I'll have to hurry up and claim my GE credit.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Could be that, or could be not getting it randomly this time or could be that UA wasn't doing anything, and for whatever reason on these particular trips, the algorithm decided that you weren't trusted enough.
Agreed. I've gotten PreCheck on >90% (conservatively) of flights since signing up via UA, but did miss one or two in the past couple of months. No consistent pattern though, and just when I would start to think there might be a reason to deal with it the next trip would be fine. That said, I did finally decide to get GE simply because the benefit was going away.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UAL MM,
I have a suggestion if you are approaching renewal time for Global Entry (or considering applying). If you can arrange to schedule your interview at a U.S. / Canada Port of Entry location, apply instead for NEXUS, the joint U.S. Canada Entry trusted traveler program. It is only $50 for five years instead of $100 and it includes Global Entry! You can also use the trusted traveler number for TSA PreCheck. You will have to pass the background check for both Canada and U.S. to be accepted however.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Global Entry, yet another change I don't like...thanks United

Have to renew my passport early because I ran out of pages. To find out, yet another perk of status on United has gone away.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...y/default.aspx
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? You don't need to reapply for GE when you get a new passport. You just go into your GOES account and update the passport number. It's easy and free.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? You don't need to reapply for GE when you get a new passport. You just go into your GOES account and update the passport number. It's easy and free.
Yep +1.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thanks that part is good to know, but only buys me one more year. United dropping this still sucks.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Thanks that part is good to know, but only buys me one more year. United dropping this still sucks.
I just added 48 more pages to my passport - can't you simply add more pages?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Paying for GE amounts to $20 a year. This isn't that big of a deal to me. Do any other airlines offer it?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Renewing your passport shouldn't require a new Global Entry fee. Once you have it, it's good for 5 years. If you get a new passport in that window, you can simply update the GE records to reflect, if I recall correctly.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I just renewed my GE and it's annoying they didn't offer this in the year I got GE nor the year I had to renew it.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I've noticed that several Citi and Amex cards now offer reimbursement for GE. While they definitely aren't free I think it might be a good opportunity to try one of the cards out when I need to renew since that basically reduces the cost by $100 right out of the gate.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I just added 48 more pages to my passport - can't you simply add more pages?
You can -- but only until the end of 2015 and while they still have sets of extra page inserts available. See the posts from late July in this thread fr details.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by nookanaya
I've noticed that several Citi and Amex cards now offer reimbursement for GE. While they definitely aren't free I think it might be a good opportunity to try one of the cards out when I need to renew since that basically reduces the cost by $100 right out of the gate.
one of the great benefits of the plat card from amex is the $100 covering for GE. add in the centurion lounge, and cya later UA card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.