Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Yes.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...921-story.html

Slated for 2016 and probably coming with higher passport costs, sooner or later, as the cost of production for the new biodata page and security features are inevitably going to be more expensive than what we have currently. [At least that is what is to be expected given what happened when some EU countries made the transition.]

Additional passport page inserts will also be banned.

http://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea....itional-pages/

Originally Posted by GUWonder
140 countries have signed onto the push to cap passport validity to five years. Most of those that have reduced their validity period down to no more the five years don't allow for adding pages and those that did have all stopped it in so far as I've not seen them allow it anymore. The US has maintained a ten year general validity period for ordinary adult passports and doesn't seem as likely to kill that off than it is to kill of the additional page inserts -- but neither is scheduled for elimination even as the U.S. is an advocate against other countries allowing for page inserts or allowing for passport validity periods to be greater than 5 years. It's rather amusing when what's good for the goose is not considered good for the gander.

It used to be more common to see multiple passport books bound together than to see additional passport page inserts in non-US passports. It probably still is, for the latter seems to have largely dropped off the radar.
How quickly things change.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 6, 2014 at 4:35 am
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:42 am

Biodata will be an important innovation.
Also a chip with a complete biography, including whether you ever got a traffic ticket or questioned authority.
Or posted anything subversive on Flyertalk.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:23 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I'm not happy with this no additional pages business. There does not even seem to be a valid reason for this change.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I'm not happy with this no additional pages business. There does not even seem to be a valid reason for this change.
I'm betting the reason for the change is somewhere between "security", "paper trail", and to "practice what we preached".

I got the info I needed from various applicable sources to determine that there is no physical reason why additional pages couldn't be inserted into those passports too -- as long as the plan to have the hard polycarbonate biodata page is done in the ways applicable currently with say some EU passports.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:22 am

I'm old enough to remember whe we had 5 year passports. They cost 15 dollars + 2 dollars for some other charge -- total of 17 USD. Then Reagan came along with one of his many efforts to "help" (by "help", Reagan actually always meant another four-letter word that rhymes with"duck") the middle class by extending passport validity to 10 years while raising the price to 55 dollars. The rationale at the time was that the cost/year was only going up a little, from 3 something dollars to 5.50. Now they repeatedly raised the price, eliminated endorsements, which means that any change requires a new passport at full price, introduced a charge of 83 dollars for new pages, and now they want get rid of that soon. The net result is that the average annual cost of a passport will have gone from about 3 dollars in 1980 to probably soon over 50 dollars. Adjusting for inflation, 3 1980 dollars is about 10 dollars today.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Having 5-year passports just means that more people will have to carry two passports around, if they live in or frequently visit a country that issues visas or residence permits as stickers in passports (which I believe most countries still do).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Having 5-year passports just means that more people will have to carry two passports around, if they live in or frequently visit a country that issues visas or residence permits as stickers in passports (which I believe most countries still do).
The U.S. isn't close to changing things to just five year passports, but never say never when "security" paranoia and higher government fees are there to add color to the background.

The irony is that the more people that have two valid passports with some overlapping validity, the more likely a passport will be available for misuse by others.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
According to the second article, the reason no more additional passport pages is because US does not accept foreign passports with additional passport pages for travel to US.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
According to the second article, the reason no more additional passport pages is because US does not accept foreign passports with additional passport pages for travel to US.
Of all the countries that accept US passports, is there even a single one that refuses to accept US passports with additional passport pages for travel/admission? I can't recall there being a single one amongst the vast majority of countries in the Americas, in Europe, in Asia and otherwise in the Pacific region that happen to have a U.S. embassy or consulate.

This seems to be a case of the U.S. unilaterally choosing to restrict what it issues even when there is no obligation or external pressure to enact the restriction.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Even as a non-american I'm disappointed in these moves as they would seem to lock in the changes made to our own passports (at the request of USA) just when there seemed to be hope some of those changes could be reversed.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Does US passport still have 52 page? My US passport will be expiration on Nov. 2017. Should I have renewal again?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I think the current "large" US passport is up to 48 pages, with the "standard" at 28 pages. When I lived in China, I had to get a new visa every year (taking up a whole page) and, now, going to China at least once a year (plus Viet Nam and Sri Lanka, all who use full-page stick-ins), my 48 pages are filling up quickly. I don't understand the anti-Reagan rant, though, the big increases in passport costs have been during subsequent administrations, with this latest round under the Obama rule. Also, in the article, it says pages will be numbered; aren't they now (mine are)?

Last edited by relangford; Oct 8, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by relangford
Also, in the article, it says pages will be numbered; aren't they now (mine are)?
Mine are t -- and inserts have letters IIRC. I'm pretty sure that some of the currently-issued ones, though, have a different background picture on each page instead of numbers. It's a lot easier to use consecutive numbers/letters to check for missing/altered pages than it is to remember what the order of the pictures is.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:31 pm

As I am probably well-known for now: highly disappointing, but as long as we keep stamping, I'll live.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CX HK
As I am probably well-known for now: highly disappointing, but as long as we keep stamping, I'll live.
Actually, I have a lots stamp. I have more than 14 stamps. I won't be traveling to Europe this year. The ticket price is too extremely expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.