Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Man with the largest passport

Old Sep 22, 14, 2:34 am
Original Poster

A bit of an old article (4 years ago), but it was all over the major networks. In my personal circle (excluding FT), I know multiple people who have the same passport, and I am sure among FTers there will be more than a handful who could have the same claim. Interesting to see the press he received.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/jet-set...ry?id=11882482

Actual newsworthy points?

- Setting aside a quarter million to travel
- "Sixteen-year-old Akhil has already been to more than 80. And in case you were wondering, his passport has reached 72 pages." How many 16 year olds have 72 page pp's?
Old Sep 22, 14, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Just read this either here or another blog in the past week or two. I'd say there are a lot of Americans with more than that, a full size current generation US passport plus 2 times getting pages added ends up being far more than 72 pages.
Old Sep 22, 14, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The passport in post 38 of this thread appears to have at least 4 extra page insert booklets.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...-stamps-3.html

Lots of people on FT get their US passports up to 96 pages (48 pages plus two 24 page inserts) within 2 or 3 years.

The $150k/year leisure travel budget is certainly out of my league, but fails to impress me (a single intercontinental business jet charter would wipe that out in a heartbeat).

There are lots of 16 year old kids here in Shenzhen that run out of pages quickly; going back and 4th to HK twice a week for an extended period of time results in a lot of PRC stamps.
Old Sep 22, 14, 8:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
electronic pp's

Many years ago, the concept of electronic pp's was discussed. Now that the world is essentially "computerized", electronic pp's AND visas should make extra pp pages a moot point.
Old Sep 22, 14, 9:18 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Great that he travels so much with his family, but that lifestyle is clearly not attainable for the vast majority of people in the world. Our annual household income, which is well above the 90th percentile in the US, would be squarely in the middle of his annual travel budget range. According to 2011 US census data, his household income is probably >99.9th percentile.

EDIT: that's not to say that people can't work the system to gain points, miles, etc. to travel more cheaply or to attain more luxurious levels of travel than might otherwise be possible if paying out of pocket or travel more frequently (this is FT, after all!), but most people aren't making this kind of money and able to just drop a quarter million on vacations every year.
Old Sep 22, 14, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CX HK View Post
A bit of an old article (4 years ago), but it was all over the major networks. In my personal circle (excluding FT), I know multiple people who have the same passport, and I am sure among FTers there will be more than a handful who could have the same claim. Interesting to see the press he received.
I've had 3 passports that had 4 inserts each. It's not uncommon at all. The US even has a rule that once they've added 4 new sets they won't add a 5th, you have to get a new passport. I've never had a passport survive the whole 10 years because of that.

I know at least a couple of dozen people (real life, not FT) who have similar experiences.
Old Sep 22, 14, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
I think this should settle the question of how many sets of pages can be added.

Although now with the new ripoff fee structure I do not believe it ever makes sense to add pages anymore. You might as well renew even if you passport is valid for another 8 years because adding pages at $82 for 24 pages costs you $3.41 per page whereas renewing your passport and requesting a 48 page passport yields 48 pages for $110 which is only $2.29 per page.
I wish that photo was still visible; it was well more than 4 inserts in a US passport.

See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-passport.html
Old Sep 22, 14, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
I've got 3 sets of extra pages in my primary US passport and also had a second US passport (with double pages) for a while so I'd add to the "not so uncommon" comment...
Old Sep 22, 14, 10:10 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
My old one had either 6 or 7 inserts. I was able to convince the HK consulate thrice to get it done.
Old Sep 22, 14, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa View Post
I've had 3 passports that had 4 inserts each. It's not uncommon at all. The US even has a rule that once they've added 4 new sets they won't add a 5th, you have to get a new passport. I've never had a passport survive the whole 10 years because of that.

I know at least a couple of dozen people (real life, not FT) who have similar experiences.
I added two inserts (two sets costs the same $82 as one set) in HK a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure the consular people told me that 3 is the max now. Their fee for a new passport (which can be 48 pages if you ask) was only $75.
Old Sep 22, 14, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS, DL PLT, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm 35 years old and on my 3rd passport with 51 pages... It's not that uncommon for people with jobs that require an international business trip on a weekly basis.
Old Sep 22, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by article
then hopped around Switzerland -- Geneva, Bonn, Zermatt
always good to see some well-researched quality journalism ^

Old Sep 22, 14, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
There are lots of 16 year old kids here in Shenzhen that run out of pages quickly; going back and 4th to HK twice a week for an extended period of time results in a lot of PRC stamps.
True, but from the sound of it this kid is going from Caribbean country to Asia to Europe, and not really just crossing the same border.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
EDIT: that's not to say that people can't work the system to gain points, miles, etc. to travel more cheaply or to attain more luxurious levels of travel than might otherwise be possible if paying out of pocket or travel more frequently (this is FT, after all!), but most people aren't making this kind of money and able to just drop a quarter million on vacations every year.
I hope he's earning status on airlines/ hotels at the very least, even if he isn't using those points. Somehow I don't think he's buying economy saver fares for him and his family.
Old Sep 22, 14, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX HK View Post
I hope he's earning status on airlines/ hotels at the very least, even if he isn't using those points. Somehow I don't think he's buying economy saver fares for him and his family.
Probably not, but the $250k budget honestly doesn't support excessive extravagance if one spends even 1/4 of their time traveling.

Living in HK, I'm surprised that you're even slightly impressed by this story; excessive spending (e.g. US$20k nights at Dragon i) is extremely common in HK.
Old Sep 22, 14, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Living in HK, I'm surprised that you're even slightly impressed by this story; excessive spending (e.g. US$20k nights at Dragon i) is extremely common in HK.
Oh, I was only surprised that a common feat (96 page passport) warranted such widespread media coverage.

But yes, living in Hong Kong is hard to be impressed with you are reminded at every corner about the abundance of money in this city. 20k at di? High school kids have been dropping 20k since they were 15/16... crazy. But that's a story for another thread.

Search this Thread