Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...y/default.aspx
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by pixitha
I know the official stance on this, but what are other people doing? I know some have used for their spouse and such.
One of the many reasons UA decided to eliminate the payment

Last edited by goalie; Jan 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm Reason: removed personal attack
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:19 pm

Thank you for the link...Much appreciated.

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Glad I noticed this "change I will like" on Flyertalk. I don't remember United communicating this to me. But my GE expires in November and, per the GOES website, I can renew now, so I just applied for my $100 credit before Jeffrey's newest enhancement goes into effect....

I know his highness can change my benefit at his whim, but I do wish to receive clear communication. Maybe this change was buried somewhere, but I do tend to read emails about benefit changes and I don't remember this one.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
One of the many reasons UA decided to eliminate the payment
Supposition, or based on some information from United?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Baze
And this abuse of the benefit could be one reason they eliminated it, along with the cost savings.
More likely almost entirely the cost savings . . . while clearly the benefit could be misused is there any reason to think that this was a significant additional cost to United? And is there a reason to think that United had no other (reasonable cost) way to stamp out the abusive use, such as either an audit or more specific payment mechanism that would prevent the abuse?

I have a suspicion that CBP was offering bulk discounts for GE to airlines and others to promote the program in its early years, but they've ended that making it less attractive (it now costs $100 to offer a $100 benefit, rather than, say, $50).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
FortFun: I believe you are misreading the T&C. "New application" does not mean new to the GE program. It is clearly intended to be good for renewals.

From the same T&C section you quoted from above:

"Applicants with an existing Global Entry membership can take advantage of this benefit during their next renewal."

FWIW, my GE expires mid July 2016. You can apply for GE renewal up to 1 year in advance (from GE website). I inadvertently applied for my code over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised the expiration date of the code was rounded in my favor (to 7/31/15). So, for those of you who need a code which expires anytime this July, there would appear to be no reason to wait. You actually get over 6 months to use. And since the last day to order your code is 1/31/15, there is no benefit in waiting until the end of the month.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
FAA FastTrack Voucher & PQD for 2015 Based Abroad

Quick question :

How do you get the FAA FastTrack Voucher from United, and am I correct in seeing that PQD won't apply to members living abroad for all of 2015? Or just until March?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you mean Global Entry? That's at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...y/default.aspx.

And the PQD exemption remains for accounts not domiciled in the USA. PQD/PQM earning does not change in March; only RDM earning does.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
FAA FastTrack Voucher & PQD for 2015 Based Abroad

PQD = Premier Qualifying Dollars and since its inception only applies to US residents. RDM-earning based on dollars spent goes into effect for all members worldwide on March 1. You're probably getting confused since the multipliers for RDMs beginning in March are based on the same spend that makes up PQD - airfare + carrier-imposed fees (I.e. International surcharge).

Have no idea what an FAA fast track voucher is but curious to hear what this is.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Perhaps you mean TSA pre check? If so, it's randomly assigned, and I believe you have a higher chance of getting it if you're a frequent traveler AFAIK, but I'll admit my ignorance on the matter. I seem to get it 80% of the time.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Yes, Global Entry. FastTrack sounds better, though...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rostovru
Yes, Global Entry. FastTrack sounds better, though...
You should be more specific. My guess is you are talking about the payment voucher for UA Plats/1Ks? If so, you need to go to www.united.com/globalentrycompensation. It gives you a voucher to use when you apply through globalentry.gov.

FAA, by the way, has nothing to do with Global Entry. They handle aircraft safety and run ATC in the US. CBP is the one who handles entry into the US. Might want to alert a mod to change the title.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You should be more specific. My guess is you are talking about the payment voucher for UA Plats/1Ks? If so, you need to go to www.united.com/globalentrycompensation. It gives you a voucher to use when you apply through globalentry.gov.
If you're going to do that, I'd recommend doing it soon. United is going to stop doing that February 1.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:19 am

I don't have GE, but I've been getting Pre-Check, presumably sponsored by UA in some manner. I have been getting it consistently for the past six months (and almost consistently long before that), but I didn't get it on my most recent two segments. If I don't see it on my next boarding pass, I guess I'll have to hurry up and claim my GE credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.