FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1629890-2015-mileageplus-change-elimination-global-entry-payment-plat-1k-gs.html)

BNAFlyer1K Nov 19, 2014 4:41 am

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Did anyone else notice this "enhancement"? Small little footnote at the bottom of this page:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

"As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015."

:rolleyes:

lhrsfo Nov 19, 2014 5:00 am

Not a great surprise and I would guess that few will miss it for the next 7 or 8 years.

aacharya Nov 19, 2014 5:13 am

Gold members also lose a checked bag domestically.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mier-gold.html

username Nov 19, 2014 5:18 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 23864472)
Not a great surprise and I would guess that few will miss it for the next 7 or 8 years.

Were you thinking GE is good for 10 (rather than 5) years?

eng3 Nov 19, 2014 5:35 am

Yeah, mine's 5 years. Well, they seem to round up to your birthday. so I got it for about 5.9 years. It's a little surprising they would cut that. of all the plat/1k/gs's, how many actually know about that benefit and use it? It can't be THAT much savings compared to some of the other cuts they've been making

I wonder what they are taking away next? 1k statement credit? maybe rpu/gpus (but they've effectively already done that by cutting R availability)
I guess they are really trying to cut the ranks of 1K and plat by making it harder to get and making the benefits closer to gold.

EWR764 Nov 19, 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 23864883)
elimination of the Global entry payment code benefit.

Just in time for my renewal!

JBord Nov 19, 2014 7:21 am

I give them credit for at least marking the downgrades so we can identify them, rather than just sneaking them in. Hopefully they've turned a corner and will start being more honest about changes going forward.

Can someone explain the Global Entry change? I haven't used it as I had just gotten it before the program started. Does this mean they're not paying for it any more or they're changing how its reimbursed?

CruiserCLE Nov 19, 2014 7:25 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 23864996)
Just in time for my renewal!

This year will be my first year hitting plat, and I anticipate that in the next 2 weeks. Will I still be able to request the payment code since I will have qualified in 2014? Thanks in advance...

ETA: It seems like it wouldn't be an issue renewing for someone who already has it, but I just want to confirm I will be ok getting it as a first time user.

Xyzzy Nov 19, 2014 7:25 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 23865006)
Can someone explain the Global Entry change? I haven't used it as I had just gotten it before the program started. Does this mean they're not paying for it any more or they're changing how its reimbursed?

They are n:o longer going to be paying for it.

As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015.

JBord Nov 19, 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 23865026)
They are n:o longer going to be paying for it.

Thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case of course. This benefit is worth more to me than all of the F meals I refuse to eat combined. Doing business with UA just increased by $20/year so I hope they spend at least $1 of that on something good for customers rather than continually taking away.

Cargojon Nov 19, 2014 8:10 am

Wonder how early I can renew mine - I think it expires Oct 2015. But I have to renew my passport first. Crap. Time to get moving on that.

MrOCTeckels Nov 19, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 23865312)
Wonder how early I can renew mine - I think it expires Oct 2015. But I have to renew my passport first. Crap. Time to get moving on that.

It has been a couple of years, but I seem to remember that if you get a new passport you have to renew GE anyways.

ACVBear Nov 19, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 23865023)
This year will be my first year hitting plat, and I anticipate that in the next 2 weeks. Will I still be able to request the payment code since I will have qualified in 2014? Thanks in advance...

ETA: It seems like it wouldn't be an issue renewing for someone who already has it, but I just want to confirm I will be ok getting it as a first time user.

likewise - I'm going to hit plat in 3 weeks and was planning on applying for that immediately. seems like it should work? but with UA IT who knows...

tealeaf99 Nov 19, 2014 9:20 am

Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels (Post 23865566)
It has been a couple of years, but I seem to remember that if you get a new passport you have to renew GE anyways.

Yes. When you get your new passport (with a new passport number), just walk into any GE office. The GE folks will then type your new numbers/info into their system. No GE appointment is necessary to do this.

mgcsinc Nov 19, 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tealeaf99 (Post 23865759)
Yes. When you get your new passport (with a new passport number), just walk into any GE office. The GE folks will then type your new numbers/info into their system. No GE appointment is necessary to do this.

And no payment.

You can usually do it online now.