Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 MileagePlus Change - Elimination of Global Entry Payment for Plat/1K/GS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
A lot of cards pay for this, won't miss it one bit. Though I was able to use the code to pay for Mrs. B.
So the code isn't linked to the name on the UA account? United implies that it is, but I'd like to give it to a friend.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
I've been meaning to do this for years but never got around. does $100 cover full cost of this? I have us passport but live overseas, so it always seemed too complicated. Is there a way to get this during stopover at entry airport? I am a bit confused. is it the subsidy that ends or just release of credit code that ends in Feb? Assuming the latter, if we get the code, we use it anytime during following year?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by evanroberts
This probably won't affect a lot of people, but trivia! If you get GE before becoming a U.S. citizen the passport(s) in there will be foreign. If you stayed a permanent resident you could totally update your foreign passport information in there. What you can't do is add your new U.S. passport details when you become a citizen.

I spent a long time at the MSP office until they found the one person that knew this was a bug and then did it for me. Kept on getting told "you can do it online". Pulled out my laptop, showed them, no dice. Gotta lot work done while I waited since there was no distracting free wifi in the terminal.
That's correct. When you have a change of authentication document (in this case, switching from green card to US passport), you'll need to do it in person. Also, make sure they delete the other passport information, as the system is only able to keep 1 passport data. Found this out the hard way as I was using the kiosk in YVR.

Originally Posted by syrahnose
I've been meaning to do this for years but never got around. does $100 cover full cost of this? I have us passport but live overseas, so it always seemed too complicated. Is there a way to get this during stopover at entry airport? I am a bit confused. is it the subsidy that ends or just release of credit code that ends in Feb? Assuming the latter, if we get the code, we use it anytime during following year?
Yes - for 5 years.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
This year will be my first year hitting plat, and I anticipate that in the next 2 weeks. Will I still be able to request the payment code since I will have qualified in 2014? Thanks in advance...

ETA: It seems like it wouldn't be an issue renewing for someone who already has it, but I just want to confirm I will be ok getting it as a first time user.
Yes, you can request at any time through January 31, 2015, as long as your status at the time you request it is Platinum or higher. So if you became Platinum last week, you can request it today.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
So the code isn't linked to the name on the UA account? United implies that it is, but I'd like to give it to a friend.
When I got GE a few years ago, registering on united.com resulted in UA emailing an one time use credit card with $100 credit on it. The address for the card was Houston TX (UA location).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by syrahnose
Yes, the $100 is the full cost of the application fee. The T&C for the credit indicate that the generated code is valid for six months from the time that you generate it.

Since only a handful of entry points have GE offices, it's pretty common to schedule the interview during a stop. You'd need to complete your application and have approval before scheduling the interview.

From the T&C:
"The personalized code is the property of United Airlines. It may not be used for any purpose other than for a new application, by the original recipient, for the Global Entry program."

The GE Compensation page at united.com

Last edited by MrOCTeckels; Nov 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reason: manual after the fact multi-quote
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't know if the code had restrictions or not (the T&C quoted above may not have been the same), I simply used it to pay for Mrs. B, who shares my last name. No problem whatsoever. Others have done this as well, perhaps even for non-family members. There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere in the UA forum.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
And no payment.

You can usually do it online now.
FWIW, You can update your passport info on the GOES website. I got a new passport last July and at first thought I had to go to an airport. I called the IAH office and was told to do it online. Very easy.

While the $100 credit was nice, its still a small amount to pay to avoid those long lines at immigration.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Didn't even realize that UA Plat came with this benefit, nor did I think I was going to hit Plat in 2014, but I literally paid for my wife's GE application in early December before I got Plat.

Whats the best use of the $100 waiver now?

Can I renew my existing GE early? Pay for a friend/family member?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pixitha
Didn't even realize that UA Plat came with this benefit, nor did I think I was going to hit Plat in 2014, but I literally paid for my wife's GE application in early December before I got Plat.

Whats the best use of the $100 waiver now?

The benefit would not have helped your wife, it is for you, the Platinum.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by pixitha
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
From the T&C:
"The personalized code is the property of United Airlines. It may not be used for any purpose other than for a new application, by the original recipient, for the Global Entry program."

The GE Compensation page at united.com
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
I know the official stance on this, but what are other people doing? I know some have used for their spouse and such.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I did it for my own renewal. I was 1K when I requested the code, but was only Gold 4 months later, when my GE renewal window opened.

The code still worked, no problems.

Edit: I thought I had used it for my spouse, but now I remember I didn't.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryu2
I did it for my spouse. Just entered the virtual CC number, no hiccups. No questions asked.
And this abuse of the benefit could be one reason they eliminated it, along with the cost savings.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:19 pm

Would you help post a link to the UA site to request a payment code ?

Originally Posted by kryshakm
Did anyone else notice this "enhancement"? Small little footnote at the bottom of this page:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

"As of February 1, 2015, MileagePlus will no longer provide a payment code which can be used as the form of payment for the $100 Global Entry application fee. Eligible members may continue to request a payment code until January 31, 2015."

I can't find it on their site .
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.