Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Absolute
....No guarantees, but if they can't recheck it, you may be able to go to a UA service desk with your bags before leaving immigration... Im not sure if LAX has a counter before the exit like most hubs do.
I’m not sure how I bypassed customs and immigration when flying from Hawaii to the mainland for the past 59 years since Hawsii became a State - and it was a Territory before then...

OP - you won’t be going through immigration...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:37 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Pretty sure Kona has been in the USA for quite a while now.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’m not sure how I bypassed customs and immigration when flying from Hawaii to the mainland for the past 59 years since Hawsii became a State - and it was a Territory before then...
Well, serves me right for mis-interpreting the airport code. Although same warning still applies, that you can't guarantee that your bags will be checked through two PNRs, but they generally should be.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Absolute
Should be, but give even more time in case they can't. I had a YOW-EWR and an EWR-LAX-SIN separate tickets (all booked on UA), and the agent at YOW could not resolve an issue at connecting the tickets. Spent 20 mins, then finally told me I'd have to reclaim them at EWR and check them in again. ....
This was more likely a problem doing UA-UA interlining than any issue related to international connections. The UA-UA interlining for some strange reason is more difficult for agents as the system seem to be designed for UA to partner interlining. If you encounter this again, you might suggest the agent contract the UA agent Help Desk, may be saying "Yeah, the last time I did this, the agent had an issue also but found calling the Help Desk useful."
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
To combat my OCD nature of wanting to checkin online the day before and confirm the info as relayed by UA on Twitter, is it necessary to wait to checkin for both flights when we arrive at the original departure city (the UA flight) to make sure our bags are interlined from UA-NH? I was advised specifically to not checkin online.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by elsenor
To combat my OCD nature of wanting to checkin online the day before and confirm the info as relayed by UA on Twitter, is it necessary to wait to checkin for both flights when we arrive at the original departure city (the UA flight) to make sure our bags are interlined from UA-NH? I was advised specifically to not checkin online.
Don't believe that matters. I've interlined across separate tix numerous times after checking in on both. And if they need to, a desk agent can un-check you in in a matter of seconds.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't believe that matters. I've interlined across separate tix numerous times after checking in on both. And if they need to, a desk agent can un-check you in in a matter of seconds.
Great, thanks for that. I didn't figure it would, but didn't want to shoot myself in the foot just because I checked-in online.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

Checking bags to SQ connection

I fly IAH-SGN numerous times per year. I don't like the NRT-SGN flight on ANA. Awful C seats. Since UA has had the SIN nonstop that has been my preferred route. I buy a connection on SQ separately (too XP from UA).

I always have 3 bags & always have problems getting them checked through. I'm always told that I have to pay baggage fees, or cannot check 3, or will have to pick them up & recheck, etc, etc. It always eventually gets done.

Today was typical. The agent said it can't be done. I kept insisting. It's like calling the 1K line & getting a rotten agent: HUCA. But in this case I have to persevere.

The GS agent came over & explained that she knows all the rules & it cannot be done. After 30 min another agent came over, picked up a white binder then looked up something. 2 min later my bags were checked.

I asked "What is the trick so that I can avoid this next month?" The GS agent said "We did something we are not supposed to do."

Does anyone know what this solution, magic key, whatever may be? This is maddening.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:47 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
As for what to say, I'd honestly just pull up UA's website located here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...lServices.aspx

And highlight the text in front of the GS agent: " If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights. "

That being said, many of us would think that the GS agents should be more than competent with this. Do you perhaps, have a significantly long/overnight layover between your UA/SQ tickets?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:47 am Reason: cleanup after merge;thanks for the link
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:46 pm

I'm connecting to SQ so there's no issue there. The layover is 2~3 hrs. It always gets done, it's just an awful hassle. Twice the SIN-SGN SQ connection has been purchased from UA. I have gotten the "if you'd buy on a single ticket..." lecture a few times. I'd gladly do that if the agent would pay the price difference for me.

Just going through the "You have to be 1k", "It has to be with a partner", "the connection has to be legal" drill is annoying because the agents get so annoyed by having to marry the tickets.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
From a systems perspective, they need to "add a passive segment" to the PNR in order to check the bags through. But if the blocker is that they think you're going against policy, I don't know what to say.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Just going through the "You have to be 1k", "It has to be with a partner", "the connection has to be legal" drill is annoying because the agents get so annoyed by having to marry the tickets.
Always at IAH? Maybe I've been lucky, but have had no issues at all interlining ex-SFO since the very early days of the merger. It's not difficult at all if the agent knows what he/she is doing.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I'm connecting to SQ so there's no issue there. The layover is 2~3 hrs. It always gets done, it's just an awful hassle. Twice the SIN-SGN SQ connection has been purchased from UA. I have gotten the "if you'd buy on a single ticket..." lecture a few times. I'd gladly do that if the agent would pay the price difference for me.

Unfortunately, if you're doing everything within policy, I don't think there's anything you can do. Many of us have the same issues with agents saying "You have to be 1K in order for me to do this, I don't normally do this, you're lucky I am willing to do this for you, etc etc" and pushing back on stated policy. But SFO seems to be quite good with this. Usually, showing them a UA website with UA text stating it's policy should be enough for most people to go "oh." and do it for you.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...After 30 min another agent came over, picked up a white binder then looked up something. 2 min later my bags were checked...I asked "What is the trick so that I can avoid this next month?" The GS agent said "We did something we are not supposed to do."..
Maybe GS agents aren't supposed to look at a white binder because they already know all the rules
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This was more likely a problem doing UA-UA interlining than any issue related to international connections. The UA-UA interlining for some strange reason is more difficult for agents as the system seem to be designed for UA to partner interlining. If you encounter this again, you might suggest the agent contract the UA agent Help Desk, may be saying "Yeah, the last time I did this, the agent had an issue also but found calling the Help Desk useful."
Now that I read this, I'm getting worried about a trip later this summer. I have ORD-PVG-ORD in Polaris Business but could not get the starting point and end point being my small city due to the high price they wanted (an additional $3500). So, I booked a reward for the flight Small City-ORD. And another reward for the flight ORD-Small City. I don't worry about the return but the outbound does worry me. Will the luggage UA-UA interlining be so complicated that it will stress me when I show up at the airport at 5:00 AM? I do have a 4 hours connection time in ORD but my experience is that that time evaporates fast when the first flight is a UAX.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
In October, we interlined baggage from MLE-HKG (Cathay Pacific...had to push them to tag the bags to ORD)-ORD (UA). Ultimate destination was IAD. Had to check in at the UA transfer desk at HGK where they were able to note that the bags should be checked to IAD. Didn't see bags until ORD and was a little worried...but they got there and we went through customs and rechecked them easily. Just FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.