Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:32 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming all UA flights, yes. Standard UA policy to do this (see the wiki for the quote)
Just allow a little extra time at bag check-in BOS. Agents unfamiliar with the process may need help from another agent or their HelpDesk.
Is there any terminology to help the agents know what to do/lookup?
From my experience, some agents knows exactly what to do while others will just give up and tell me I have to pickup and recheck.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
Is there any terminology to help the agents know what to do/lookup?
From my experience, some agents knows exactly what to do while others will just give up and tell me I have to pickup and recheck.
Suggest a call to the agent Help Desk
such as "The last time I did this the agent called the Help Desk and was able to do this with their guidance."
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:36 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suggest a call to the agent Help Desk
Thanks, I didn't know they had a help desk! Very good suggestion, and will try that next time an agent doesn't seem to know how to do something!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Has anyone had experience with interlining a bag from United onto Silk Air? The ticket I'll be booking on Silk (departing from SIN) will have a SQ flight number but will be on Silk metal which is technically not part of Star Alliance.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gspurr
Has anyone had experience with interlining a bag from United onto Silk Air? The ticket I'll be booking on Silk (departing from SIN) will have a SQ flight number but will be on Silk metal which is technically not part of Star Alliance.
Yes, works like a charm as long as you have that SQ flight number. They'll even issue a BP : )
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:59 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
How do "Star Alliance Connecting Partners" fit into UA's policy of checking through interline bags on separate tickets?

The Wiki says:
Posted on UA.com
Quote:
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights."
I am considering booking UA EWR-PVG and then on to Juneyao PVG-BKK but need to do so on separate PNRs/tickets. Will UA check my bags through EWR-PVG-BKK on Juneyao, which is a "Star Alliance connecting partner"?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I am considering booking UA EWR-PVG and then on to Juneyao PVG-BKK but need to do so on separate PNRs/tickets. Will UA check my bags through EWR-PVG-BKK on Juneyao, which is a "Star Alliance connecting partner"?
Based on my recent experiences at PVG with United, (1) you will need to pick up your bags at PVG to clear customs and re-check them with Juneyao (PVG airport rule, allegedly), (2) your checked-in bags will likely NOT be interlined (i.e., you might wonder if you need to clear customs but your bags will be interlined nonetheless, but no, United will most likely not interline your bags, i.e., your initial tags will be to PVG only), and (3) your bags would most likely not have been interlined in PVG (and you would have had to pick them up and pass customs) even if both of your flights were on the same ticket. Re: (2) & (3), I've been successful in interlining bags when connecting on one ticket to/from a non-*A airline in PEK but not in PVG (I've never tried to do it on two separate tickets). I hope this helps.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by havall
Based on my recent experiences at PVG with United, (1) you will need to pick up your bags at PVG to clear customs and re-check them with Juneyao (PVG airport rule, allegedly), (2) your checked-in bags will likely NOT be interlined (i.e., you might wonder if you need to clear customs but your bags will be interlined nonetheless, but no, United will most likely not interline your bags, i.e., your initial tags will be to PVG only), and (3) your bags would most likely not have been interlined in PVG (and you would have had to pick them up and pass customs) even if both of your flights were on the same ticket. Re: (2) & (3), I've been successful in interlining bags when connecting on one ticket to/from a non-*A airline in PEK but not in PVG (I've never tried to do it on two separate tickets). I hope this helps.
I think OP may need to pick up bags in PVG regardless of whether they are interlined or not. I connected on a single ticket in CTU to an international China Eastern (MU) flight. UA checked the bags through to my destination, but I had to take them through customs myself and then re-deposit them at the MU counter. IIRC, the MU agent re-tagged them, in order to get them into their system, but didn't try to charge me anything.

This is the same procedure followed at most US airports for international connections -- you're required to pass US customs and then re-check your bag, even if your final destination is outside the US.

Whether or not OP has to pay Juneyao (HO) likely depends upon whether or not UA will interline the bags, but I expect them to need to be transferred through PRC customs regardless. And that probably depends upon whether or not UA considers HO to be a *A partner. They do have an interline baggage agreement, so UA can do it, but I don't know if they will.

I would ask, and if they refuse, point to the policy. Make them defend the "connecting partner" vs "member" distinction, if they can. The worst that can happen is they'll say no. However, note that HO may not offer an additional *G luggage allowance when not flying on a connecting ticket.

HO is the only "connecting partner" so far, so unless someone else has experiences with this specific transfer -- UA to HO on separate tickets -- the rest is basically conjecture. I would be prepared to pay HO's full baggage charge; then, the only possible surprises are good ones.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
So, in other words, clear as mud. (Not shooting the messengers, just the honestly shared message.)

Originally Posted by jsloan
I think OP may need to pick up bags in PVG regardless of whether they are interlined or not. I connected on a single ticket in CTU to an international China Eastern (MU) flight. UA checked the bags through to my destination, but I had to take them through customs myself and then re-deposit them at the MU counter. IIRC, the MU agent re-tagged them, in order to get them into their system, but didn't try to charge me anything.
How did you know to pick up up the bags in PVG? If UA checked them through to the final destination, wouldn't you assume they were automatically transferred, or were you advised by UA that you would need to pick them up in PVG?

Originally Posted by jsloan
I would ask, and if they refuse, point to the policy. Make them defend the "connecting partner" vs "member" distinction, if they can. The worst that can happen is they'll say no. However, note that HO may not offer an additional *G luggage allowance when not flying on a connecting ticket
I wouldn't be needing any *G extra bag provision, so that's one less variable, thank heavens. And, I'd be checking in at EWR, so heaven knows what flexibility I'd get. I've already had a bad experience with international check-in at EWR, unfortunately.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP / CX DM
UA-UA Baggage Check Through?

Hi me and my wife will fly from KOA-LAX-SFO. My wife has X class ticket on United to LA then bought S class ticket to SFO. Yesterday I called United they told me that I can't check through my bag cause it is in different PNR. We have just 50 min at LAX I don't think that will be enough for re check in. So, is it possible to check through the bag on 2 PNR from UA-UA. Both me and my wife are TG*G. Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:44 am

This won’t be a problem. Be sure to have a copy of your LAX-SFO confirmation when you check in at KOA.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
This won’t be a problem. Be sure to have a copy of your LAX-SFO confirmation when you check in at KOA.
And allow a little extra time (15 minutes or so in case the agent has never done this before)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
\How did you know to pick up up the bags in PVG? If UA checked them through to the final destination, wouldn't you assume they were automatically transferred, or were you advised by UA that you would need to pick them up in PVG?
In my case, it was CTU, not PVG, but I researched it online and saw other people had reported they needed to cart their bags over. Also, when I followed the signs and ended up in baggage claim to go through customs, I waited to see if my bag would arrive.

I wouldn't trust anything that I was told by a UA rep in SFO -- procedures vary from airport to airport, and I wouldn't necessarily expect the airline rep to be familiar with all of them anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Should be, but give even more time in case they can't. I had a YOW-EWR and an EWR-LAX-SIN separate tickets (all booked on UA), and the agent at YOW could not resolve an issue at connecting the tickets. Spent 20 mins, then finally told me I'd have to reclaim them at EWR and check them in again.

No guarantees, but if they can't recheck it, you may be able to go to a UA service desk with your bags before leaving immigration... Im not sure if LAX has a counter before the exit like most hubs do.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Absolute
No guarantees, but if they can't recheck it, you may be able to go to a UA service desk with your bags before leaving immigration... Im not sure if LAX has a counter before the exit like most hubs do.
Pretty sure Kona has been in the USA for quite a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.