Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sierranevada
Flying Polaris LAX-EWR-MAD tomorrow connecting to Iberia to OVD also in Business. Can United interline luggage all the way to OVD?
single ticket (yes) , separate tickets (policy is no - but worth asking)
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
single ticket (yes) , separate tickets (policy is no - but worth asking)
Separate tickets so looks like I’ll claim and recheck
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sierranevada
Separate tickets so looks like I’ll claim and recheck
5+ year back the interlining bags across separate tickets became an alliance only benefit. All the big 3 alliances are doing this. So separate tickets on separate alliances is a problem. Single ticket is still honored.

Occasionally there are reports of interline bags with separate tickets on separate alliances for business class and higher elites but that is not standard policy.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
5+ year back the interlining bags across separate tickets became an alliance only benefit. All the big 3 alliances are doing this. So separate tickets on separate alliances is a problem. Single ticket is still honored.

Occasionally there are reports of interline bags with separate tickets on separate alliances for business class and higher elites but that is not standard policy.
Thanks is for the details. I’ll ask and see what they say when I check in.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:51 am

UA ticket LAX-SEA and separate TK SEA-IST shouldn’t be a problem to have a bag checked through with 4hrs+ connection?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlqsko
UA ticket LAX-SEA and separate TK SEA-IST shouldn’t be a problem to have a bag checked through with 4hrs+ connection?

Thanks
Correct, but give yourself extra time at the airport.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct, but give yourself extra time at the airport.
Thanks. I’ll be airside? Not sure I get your advice.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Some agents at check-in counter are less adept at checking in bags across multiple tickets than others are, thus, the time allowance.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I can see how that was confusing. I meant, give yourself extra time at LAX prior to starting your trip, because you're going to have to talk to an agent, who is then going to have to modify your itinerary in order to add the SEA/IST leg. This is usually fairly quick, but if you get an inexperienced agent it may take a little while, so I'd plan to arrive 20 minutes earlier than I normally would. I apologize for being unclear.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Some agents at check-in counter are less adept at checking in bags across multiple tickets than others are.
Oh, this. Thanks

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry, I can see how that was confusing. I meant, give yourself extra time at LAX prior to starting your trip, because you're going to have to talk to an agent, who is then going to have to modify your itinerary in order to add the SEA/IST leg. This is usually fairly quick, but if you get an inexperienced agent it may take a little while, so I'd plan to arrive 20 minutes earlier than I normally would. I apologize for being unclear.
Thank you. Appreciate your valuable input!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 10, 2022 at 11:16 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:37 am

Check through/Interline across 3 tickets: UA>NH>NH

Hi all,

It sounds like this should be doable as long as the UA agent knows how to do it, but just confirming:

I have 3 separate tickets outbound:
1. 8 AM IAH > 9:29 AM LAX (UA, 3hr 41m connection)
2. 1:10 PM LAX > 4:30 PM NRT (NH Award Ticket, 2hr 5m connection)
3. 6:35 PM NRT > 11:20 PM BKK (NH, Operated by Air Japan)

And 3 separate tickets inbound:
1. 12:20 AM BKK > 8:40 AM NRT (NH, 8hr 20m connection)
2. 5:00 PM NRT > 11:25 AM LAX (NH Award Ticket, 3hr 45m connection)
3. 3:10 PM LAX > 8:36 PM LAX (UA)

Questions:
1. Will the UA agent be able to check through our bags from IAH all the way to BKK?
2. Does getting to IAH/BKK 2 hours before departure time sound sufficient to give the agents time to figure out the interlining? UA asks for 45 minutes for domestic check-ins and ANA asks for 1 hour.
3. The shortest connection time is 2 hours and 5 minutes on the outbound leg between NRT>BKK. Is that enough time for the luggage to get checked through?
4. I'm most worried about the outbound UA flight from IAH>LAX. In case the 8 AM flight gets cancelled, there is another flight from departing IAH 10:07 AM and arriving in LAX at 11:38 AM, which would give a connection time of 1hr 40m. Is that enough time for the bags to make it through in the event the 8 AM flight is cancelled? Or should I change the outbound flight from departing at 8 AM to departing at 6 AM?
5. Is there any issue with the final leg of the outbound flight being operated by Air Japan? Would the UA agent in IAH be able to check through luggage from LAX>NRT operated by NH and then NRT>BKK operated by Air Japan?

Thanks in advance, I managed to snag roundtrip first class for the LAX>NRT flights so I'm excited to make this happen!

Last edited by alany611; Jun 20, 2022 at 12:43 am
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I think this is correct. Enter SQ segment then go to SHARES green screen. When I have printed the instructions & handed
that to the agent they always understood without asking more.
Would you please share the instructions for checking through, and would those instructions work for UA?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alany611
1. Will the UA agent be able to check through our bags from IAH all the way to BKK?
Assuming you get a competent agent, or one who's willing to contact the help desk, yes.

2. Does getting to IAH/BKK 2 hours before departure time sound sufficient to give the agents time to figure out the interlining? UA asks for 45 minutes for domestic check-ins and ANA asks for 1 hour.
Ask in the NH forum for their rules, but I don't anticipate this being a problem.

3. The shortest connection time is 2 hours and 5 minutes on the outbound leg between NRT>BKK. Is that enough time for the luggage to get checked through?
To be pedantic, you don't have any connections at all.

Yes, 2h5m would be enough time to get through NRT. Yes, being in F should get you some additional ground service. Yes, you can probably count on the NH representative making a note that there's an F passenger that needs assistance if you're delayed out of LAX.

However, by booking separate tickets, you've assumed the risk. If there's a delay, and you miss your next flight, the late-arriving airline is not obligated to get you to your destination. They might anyway (especially if it's NH at NRT) but you have little recourse if they don't.

4. I'm most worried about the outbound UA flight from IAH>LAX. In case the 8 AM flight gets cancelled, there is another flight from departing IAH 10:07 AM and arriving in LAX at 11:38 AM, which would give a connection time of 1hr 40m. Is that enough time for the bags to make it through in the event the 8 AM flight is cancelled? Or should I change the outbound flight from departing at 8 AM to departing at 6 AM?
Once you've checked the bags through, they'll make the flight before you will. 1h40m is plenty of time for the bag. That said, you should show your bag tag to the NH agent at LAX and ask them to ensure that they received it from UA. As a reminder, you're looking at about a 25-30 minute walk from T7 to TBIT at LAX, or you can take the inter-terminal shuttle on the departures level and then re-clear security.

I don't see much of an advantage to the 6 AM flight vs. the 8 AM. If you're nervous, I'd take a flight the night before.
Xyzzy and alany611 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: MileagePlus
We just (June 2022) did a SFO-LHR-MUC, HAM-LHR-SFO, the LHR-MUC leg was on a LH ticket, the HAM-LHR on a EW ticket, SFO-LHR-SFO was on UA. UA was able to interline baggage through to Munich, on the way back though, EW through a [Moderator edit] Hissy-Fit: The flight HAM-LHR carried a UA flight number, although you could actually not buy it from UA, nor does LH service LHR from HAM, so there is no *A flight unless you count EW, wholly owned by LH as *A.

The agent from 3rd party ground company AAS Martin Belka, literally stated he could have interlined but did not feel like it. Not is this rude to the passengers, it is a [Moderator edit] move towards the ground crew in LHR that has to unload and recheck the luggage all the way in a time of tight personnel. My sense is there is deeper frustration and strike prone behavior at EW and low cost ground service company AAS both notorious for bad service. When challenged on the mess he creates he threatened to report me to the pilot (who does not give a fly for a third party provider complaining).

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 20, 2022 at 12:58 pm Reason: To comply with FT Rules.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hi all,

It sounds like this should be doable as long as the UA agent knows how to do it, but just confirming:

I have 3 separate tickets outbound:
1. 8 AM IAH > 9:29 AM LAX (UA, 3hr 41m connection)
2. 1:10 PM LAX > 4:30 PM NRT (NH Award Ticket, 2hr 5m connection)
3. 6:35 PM NRT > 11:20 PM BKK (NH, Operated by Air Japan)

And 3 separate tickets inbound:
1. 12:20 AM BKK > 8:40 AM NRT (NH, 8hr 20m connection)
2. 5:00 PM NRT > 11:25 AM LAX (NH Award Ticket, 3hr 45m connection)
3. 3:10 PM LAX > 8:36 PM LAX (UA)

Questions:
5. Is there any issue with the final leg of the outbound flight being operated by Air Japan? Would the UA agent in IAH be able to check through luggage from LAX>NRT operated by NH and then NRT>BKK operated by Air Japan?

Thanks in advance, I managed to snag roundtrip first class for the LAX>NRT flights so I'm excited to make this happen!
if you have any issues at all at IAH, just have UA check them only to LAX. Pick them up there take a nice stroll over to Tom Bradley with a luggage cart and check them in with NH they totally know what to do with both of their legs even if they’re on separate tickets. You have plenty of time and don’t worry about the transfer in NRT to BKK they do it all the time it’s their own airline. The ground-handler’s at NRT are very very efficient
alany611 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.