Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Thanks for the answer, and the link, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by SCChris
Per the Air New Zealand website if it is on one ticket then yes. If separate tickets then no....
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:04 pm

Any chance I'll be able to interline bags with Aer Lingus as a 1K? I have a UA award J to LHR and am self connecting to an EI onwards to DUB. I can just carry on my bag for the UA segment, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed the carry on for the EI segment since they cap it at 10kg. My ticket allows 1 checked bag, but I'd love to not have to go through passport control in LHR to check the bag since I'm not sure if gate checking will be ok.

I'm assuming the answer to this is no and airlines that have partnerships with UA outside of *A don't get the same treatment, but no harm in asking.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
Any chance I'll be able to interline bags with Aer Lingus as a 1K? I have a UA award J to LHR and am self connecting to an EI onwards to DUB. I can just carry on my bag for the UA segment, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed the carry on for the EI segment since they cap it at 10kg. My ticket allows 1 checked bag, but I'd love to not have to go through passport control in LHR to check the bag since I'm not sure if gate checking will be ok.

I'm assuming the answer to this is no and airlines that have partnerships with UA outside of *A don't get the same treatment, but no harm in asking.
Come on Oscar!! You don't know your own airline's rules???

I think it's not possible, I believe the interlining rules are pretty much for star alliance carriers only but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
PS. Love the username
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
Any chance I'll be able to interline bags with Aer Lingus as a 1K?
There have been some reports that UA *Gs may be able to request interline across two seperate tickets in the case of a MP partner (like EI) and some other airlines, YMMV
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
So here’s my very recent experience. Flying UA BUR-SFO on a paid ticket and LH SFO-MUC-MRS on a UA business class award ticket. Arrived at Burbank two hours ahead of departure to find a single, harried agent. And since there are no longer any UA mainline flights out of Burbank, I assume she was a contractor or SkyWest employee. Plus I had an oversized box (103” x 6” x 6”) as one pice of baggage.

When I asked if she could check my bags (and box) through to Marseille, she said no. Thanks to this thread, I said she may need to call the help desk because it can be done. So she called the help desk. . .and ended up on interminable hold. But she also called a colleague who arrived to save the day, Carlos proceeded to create a dummy PNR (quite a process, it seems) and was able to issue baggage tags BUR-SFO-MUC-MRS. The dummy booking even showed up in My Flights on the UA app. And they were even able to issue boarding passes for all three flights, including the LH flights. (I had not been able to check in online.)

What’s more, Carlos tracked me down post-security to say that he was concerned the long box might not fit in the hold of the CRJ to SFO but he’d let me know as soon as the plane arrived. Shortly after the incoming flight was parked he found me in the bar 🍻 to let me know that the box would fit in the hold of the CRJ.

And, many hours later, the bags (and box) appeared in Marseille.

So, the lessons I learned from this are: arrive early; be patient but insistent that the agent can interline between *A carriers on separate tickets; and hope for a guy like Carlos.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.

Last edited by dpdapper; Apr 19, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:56 am

Im flying on two separate tickets

yvr to sfo on united

sfo to nrt (united codeshare operated by ana)

have a 3 hour layover in sfo

can my luggage be checked from yvr?

will they be able to issue bp for the second flight
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:12 pm

Interline Baggage transfer, UA to SQ, and other stuff

I have a few different questions, so hopefully this is as good a place as any to ask them.

My Mom and I are flying from Tampa to Manchester (UK) in August. We have a positioning flight the same day on UA and the long haul is from IAH to MAN on SQ. The domestic flight is regular economy, and the international flight is business class. Mom has a United Explorer card which paid for the TPA to IAH flights for both of us. I have Star Alliance Gold through Krisflyer, but no status on UA.

My Krisflyer number is not connected to the UA flight because I purchased the flight on United.com and it automatically connected my UA FF number. Is there a way to change this, like if I call them and sit on hold for a day or something? I'd like to be recognized as Star Alliance gold for the domestic flight because of the free baggage allowance. Would the fact that my Mom paid for both tickets with her Explorer card get me the free bag, or is that perk just for her?

We want to check our bags all the way from TPA to MAN. I've seen mixed comments about interline baggage transfers being allowed or not. I would hate to arrive in Houston and have to get our bags to recheck because then we're pretty much screwed with our 8 hour layover. I doubt we'd be able to check the bags on SQ until about 3-4 hours before the flight and I want to avoid that. I want to be able to hang out in the Polaris lounge and not out in the ticket counter area. Does anyone here have very recent experience checking bags all the way through to the international destination when the positioning flight was booked separately?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interlining your bags TPA-IAH, then IAH-MAN UA-SQ should be no problem. Very standard, just allow upeards of 20 minutes extra time (but probably will be just 5)

If you are licky, UA will provide a business class bag allowance due to the SQ ticket -- YMMV

Otherwise if you are both on the same PNR in TPA, the Explorer card covers cardholder and one companiob -- 1 bag each

Also, you can change you FF account at the airport at check-in
TexasKaren likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kyamato
Im flying on two separate tickets

yvr to sfo on united

sfo to nrt (united codeshare operated by ana)

have a 3 hour layover in sfo

can my luggage be checked from yvr?

will they be able to issue bp for the second flight
They should be able to check your luggage through. They won't be able to issue you a BP
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interlining your bags TPA-IAH, then IAH-MAN UA-SQ should be no problem. Very standard, just allow upeards of 20 minutes extra time (but probably will be just 5)

If you are licky, UA will provide a business class bag allowance due to the SQ ticket -- YMMV

Otherwise if you are both on the same PNR in TPA, the Explorer card covers cardholder and one companiob -- 1 bag each

Also, you can change you FF account at the airport at check-in
Thank you so much. We are on the same PNR from TPA-IAH, but separate ones from IAH-MAN (booked separate due to different return dates).
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
They should be able to check your luggage through. They won't be able to issue you a BP

Where would I get the BP then?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kyamato
Where would I get the BP then?
Try ANA online. I would proactively ask them to check at the gate to see if the bags made it onto the flight.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Try ANA online. I would proactively ask them to check at the gate to see if the bags made it onto the flight.
I don't think ANA will give you a boarding pass online; IME they will try to find you in the gate area/lounge and verify your passport, at that time you can ask them for a BP.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Originally Posted by cfischer
My experience (see post #1075 above) is that they CAN issue BPs for the non-UA *A flights if booked through UA, as happened with my two tickets, one on UA and the other on LH, where both were booked through UA. YMMV, however.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dpdapper
My experience (see post #1075 above) is that they CAN issue BPs for the non-UA *A flights if booked through UA, as happened with my two tickets, one on UA and the other on LH, where both were booked through UA. YMMV, however.
I have been wondering about a very similar situation. I have never tried to book awards out of YYZ on several *A carriers (like ET or TK) because I don't want to go through CBSA immigration in YYZ. If my bags were checked through and I had a boarding pass even if I have to surrender it at the gate for a new one (after passport checks, Covid vaccination checks, etc), I would be able to bypass immigration and proceed as an International-International connection.

In this case (all tickets on 016 stock), would I get a BP for my connecting flights (or some proxy document) that would allow me to connect directly and check in at the departure gate? This would be great if it would work as I can usually get pretty low cost positioning flights on UA between ORD and YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.