Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I'd connect in 1960's Soviet Russia to go to Ireland if it meant I didn't have to connect in LHR
Just connected at the new LHR T2 last week ... Totally seamless and convenient .... Rivals the experience at FRA and MUC
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BearX220
A lot of people on FT claim they couldn't possibly endure a narrowbody transoceanic flight, which is pretty funny because they were commonplace for decades, through 1980 or so. There's really no difference in individual comfort compared to the widebodies, and you get to circumvent big difficult hubs in Europe. CO opened secondary markets like BRS, BFS and EDI direct from EWR and, before EWR went totally to hell, it was a definite net positive to fly a 757 out of there to those small markets and avoid transiting LHR.
No kidding. How different space/sizewise in the cabin than a 707? When I was a little kid (early 70's), that was how we flew TPAC
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Disagree. All of my sCO IFE (and sUA 2-class 767) IFE has had what appeared to be far lower fidelity video. It is either the screen or the file.
Agreed, this is painfully obvious, doesn't take hundreds of hours of sitting in front of this screen to figure out
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
The sCO 757's (and 767-400 and 777) all have the "Continental-style" BF seats and have a more spacious cabin configuration than the sUA BF seats. For example, the sCO 767-400's are 2-1-2 and the sUA 767-300's are 2-2-2 in an alternating front-facing, backwards facing layout. The sCO BF seats seem to be wider and more spacious coupled with the cabin layout just a more private feeling. Just my opinion.
As you mentioned, BF seats are always much better.

I used to always fly BF until pmUA planes showed up.

I thought it was impossible to see no IFE for Domestic BusinessFirst.

Can't fly to Hawaii anymore without the BF configuration (from IAH)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by OskiBear
No kidding. How different space/sizewise in the cabin than a 707? When I was a little kid (early 70's), that was how we flew TPAC
757 cabin diameter is the same. The Boeing narrowbody fuselage jig was set in the 1950s or so and hasn't changed.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Last month I came in from Frankfurt to Chicago on 945, oped up from C to F, then hitched a ride on a 2-class intl. 757 back home to SFO. I've been on these 757s before, but never right after an IPTE flight. One of the first things that struck out to me was the apparent lower resolution of the IFE. The screens must be the same size (I think 15.4"), and they're both B/E, so I would imagine they are the same technical resolution. But the one in the 777 just appeared higher quality, which leads me to believe the content is encoded in a lower resolution on the 757...
You're absolutely right. The sUA 777 on which you rode has the Panasonic eX2 system, which is a newer generation system than the eFX suite installed on the sCO 757-200 and sUA 747-400/3-cabin 767-300ER. The eX2 suite has faster processors, more storage and can support higher resolution that the earlier eFX system. UA has the full eX2 system on the 777s, 767-400ERs and the early 787-8s.

I think the misconception other posters may have is that the sCO 757 system is different than the sUA 763/744, but aside from the user interface, it's the same.

NB, the 787-9s and more recent 787-8s should have the new eX3 system installed with capacitive touch monitors. The 2-cabin 763s, 764s and p.s. 757s have the new Eco monitors designed for the eX3 system driven by eX2 hardware.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 3, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:40 pm

I find few things more overrated than IFE..I'd happily trade in all IFE for an extra 2 inches of leg space. And there's I'd say about 3 inches difference between E+ on a 757 and E+ on a 777
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
You're absolutely right. The sUA 777 on which you rode has the Panasonic eX2 system, which is a newer generation system than the eFX suite installed on the sCO 757-200 and sUA 747-400/3-cabin 767-300ER. The eX2 suite has faster processors, more storage and can support higher resolution that the earlier eFX system. UA has the full eX2 system on the 777s, 767-400ERs and the early 787-8s.

I think the misconception other posters may have is that the sCO 757 system is different than the sUA 763/744, but aside from the user interface, it's the same.

NB, the 787-9s and more recent 787-8s should have the new eX3 system installed with capacitive touch monitors. The 2-cabin 763s, 764s and p.s. 757s have the new Eco monitors designed for the eX3 system driven by eX2 hardware.
Good to know, thanks a lot.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by airdude35
my comments on another thread have reminded me that I have been meaning to post this but : Why does United think putting 757s on flights to places like Berlin, Oslo, Stuttgart etc is profitable. Maybe some of the flights wouldn't get cut if it wasn't for this
These routes are EXTREMELY profitable for every airline running 757s TATL. In fac these airlines are freaking out because there is currently no replacement for the 757 that can fly these (737 MAX 9 has about 500mi less range and less pax).

Also if airlines didn't have 757s, they would not fly these routes at all because a widebody would use too much fuel and would have too many seats to fill. I like having a Newark-Glasgow direct flight instead of having to connect in BRU or FRA. 757 seats are nearly identical in size to 767 and 747 seats as well.

UA has made it clear they are all about profit, so they would not be flying a route if it was unprofitable.

Rumor from my UA friends (in revenue management) is that UA is looking to offload SYD/MEL duties to NZ if the profits dont improve in the next year.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:52 pm
Suspended

A lot of people on FT claim they couldn't possibly endure a narrowbody transoceanic flight, which is pretty funny because they were commonplace for decades, through 1980 or so. There's really no difference in individual comfort compared to the widebodies, and you get to circumvent big difficult hubs in Europe. CO opened secondary markets like BRS, BFS and EDI direct from EWR and, before EWR went totally to hell, it was a definite net positive to fly a 757 out of there to those small markets and avoid transiting LHR.
The main con in my book was having to stay seated and no place to simply stand and hang out on a 752, which most widebodys have a number of places that can be accomplished.

Inbounded on a PMCO 777 today and numerous times I took a walk and hung out standing around, cant do that on a752. But after flying sereval carriers reg E, Id rather now have to remain seated on a PMCO 752 then stand up since I cant fit my legs in in reg E, 30-31" isnt gonna do it for me, OK maybe if its an hours flight but anything over that forgetaboutit
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Also if airlines didn't have 757s, they would not fly these routes at all because a widebody would use too much fuel and would have too many seats to fill. I like having a Newark-Glasgow direct flight instead of having to connect in BRU or FRA. 757 seats are nearly identical in size to 767 and 747 seats as well.
I think most reasonable FTers don't mind these planes on the 2nd tier, closer UK/Euro cities. It's when in 2012-13 they were comprising EWR-LHR/CDG, IAD-AMS/CDG, etc. slots where I think the airline was rightly called out.

Rumor from my UA friends (in revenue management) is that UA is looking to offload SYD/MEL duties to NZ if the profits dont improve in the next year.
Shocking, yet at the same time wholly unsurprising. It's the int'l equivalent of making a domestic route UX.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Col Ronson

So if we book Saver UA award tickets would we get charged as the UA rate or partner rate? Since they longer have their own planes flying into SYD/ME by then?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So if we book Saver UA award tickets would we get charged as the UA rate or partner rate? Since they longer have their own planes flying into SYD/ME by then?
i don't know but i would assume it would be the same way as if you booked any other *A award flight to locations UA doesn't fly.

Lets hope though the 747 -> 777 swap helps improve the bottom line and that the 789 service to MEL does well. Id rather not fly NZ because of the lack of E+ and their sardine 3-4-3 seating on their 777.

[QUOTE=UA-NYC;23142369]I think most reasonable FTers don't mind these planes on the 2nd tier, closer UK/Euro cities. It's when in 2012-13 they were comprising EWR-LHR/CDG, IAD-AMS/CDG, etc. slots where I think the airline was rightly called out.

you're right, EWR-LHR on a 757 is kind of a waste of valuable LHR slots and i think UA is just hoarding those slots. I flew EWR-LHR last year (granted it was on a wednesday non peak day) and i could've sworn there were at least 30 seats free in Y. Either they cant' fill that route or they are lacking wide bodies to put on that route.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:37 pm

A lot of people on FT claim they couldn't possibly endure a narrowbody transoceanic flight
Yeah, it's funny how some people think it would be impossible to endure a 6:25 hour flight from EWR to SNN on a 757 with lie flat BF seats and AVOD in all classes, but a 6:28 hour BOS-LAX flight on a domestic B737 is no problem at all...
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Yeah, it's funny how some people think it would be impossible to endure a 6:25 hour flight from EWR to SNN on a 757 with lie flat BF seats and AVOD in all classes, but a 6:28 hour BOS-LAX flight on a domestic B737 is no problem at all...
I don't know what board you're on, but there's a lot of hate for the dark 737s on the long transcons in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.