Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:50 pm

2-3 extra inches of pitch in E+ on a 757 vs. a 777 easily makes up for the width.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Actually, the shortest is KEF-JFK, it's about 2,590 miles, or about the same as U.S. domestic transcon.

In fact, KEF is so close to North America, that FI even flies KEF-DEN on a 752 non-stop (that's about 3,563 mi)
they also fly KEF-SEA, IIRC, which is marginally longer (3622mi)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I just completed my first round trip EWR-HAM-EWR in BF in this thing.
Never again. Besides having to leave and arrive EWR with its friendly people,
I didn't like:
1. The advertised 6'4" BF seat is way shorter than that (and we had the first row big cubby hole). I am 6'6" and couldn't sleep at all, but my 5'10" GF could not stretch out in these seats either. They are more like 5'8" useable surface.
2. The air quality is way worse than wide body, even the 767 is better
3. The staff was very lazy both ways. Hiding away and being noisy in the galley. Outbound the seatbelt sign was on the entire 7 hours
I am not surprised! The service I have had on the European 757s in BF has not been good. Also, I agree with the seat comfort and I am only 6'0". It is not comfortable. I would rather connect and take a narrowbody on a short intra euro flight and take a more comfortable plane when I pay for premium travel across the Atlantic. Maybe the 757 premium seats are better on other airlines.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:01 pm

UA121 BCN-EWR for the fourth day in a row has had to stop for fuel. At least they're consistent.

Apologies: Just saw this mentioned on the previous page.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've taken the 757 on IAD/EWR to LHR and back a few times. It seems very uncomfortable by the end of the flight. Also, I cannot understand why UA needs to use such tiny equipment on routes where its competitors are flying 747s and 777s mostly.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
UA121 BCN-EWR for the fourth day in a row has had to stop for fuel. At least they're consistent.

Apologies: Just saw this mentioned on the previous page.
No stops

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...010Z/EGAA/KEWR
http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...800Z/EIDW/KEWR
http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...155Z/EIDW/KEWR

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...805Z/EINN/KEWR
http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...800Z/EGPF/KEWR

Etc etc. I don't care about Barcelona but you really NEED to stop saying that this service isn't good because of this because for me and the people here the service has been fantastic. It means we can get the service to America without going anywhere else.

I do agree that its daft flying a narrowbody to Germany though..
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:21 am

It's funny, many say A380s are not profitable because of bad fuel efficiency, but if relatively modern aircraft is so inefficient, then what can you say about something designed in 1980s?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:36 am

Fifth day in a row that UA121, BCN->EWR has had to make a diversion for fuel.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by t18c97
Unlike some of the cities Owenc mentions in his post (Edinburgh, Belfast, Glasgow), there is actually a choice to fly BCN-NYC non-stop if you don't want to fly UA's 757, namely DL's BCN-JFK non-stop on an A330, of AA's BCN-JFK non-stop on a 767-300.

But in markets where there isn't another non-stop option, some might find the 757 service inadequate or overly prone to fuel stops, although, if you decide to take another airline simply to avoid the fuel stop, you've basically guaranteed yourself a "fuel stop" by building in a connection...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I think the real issue is with UA's 757s having to divert for fuel often turning a NS into a one stop whereas DL's 757s seem to be able to make it back to the states without having to stop (maybe a few times but not nearly the amount as UA). United, obvious masters of fuel diversions, can turn it in 60 minutes or less, still adds a robust 2 hours to the flight time. I would hope that united gives compensation for diverted fuel flights and advertises or adds a disclaimer that certain 757 TATL routes are prone to fuel stops.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

I read in the Bangor news that they're having a fire sale on limes. United is actually diverting for limes
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I think the real issue is with UA's 757s having to divert for fuel often turning a NS into a one stop whereas DL's 757s seem to be able to make it back to the states without having to stop (maybe a few times but not nearly the amount as UA). United, obvious masters of fuel diversions, can turn it in 60 minutes or less, still adds a robust 2 hours to the flight time. I would hope that united gives compensation for diverted fuel flights and advertises or adds a disclaimer that certain 757 TATL routes are prone to fuel stops.
The only reason that UA's 757's are diverted more often is because these fuel stops happen on flights with longer distances.

DL flies 757s JFK-DUB, but on JFK-BCN, they fly an A330.

If DL flew a 752 on JFK-BCN there is little question they would have similar fuel diversions rates (unless they weight restricted the a/c).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:46 am

Unlike some of the cities Owenc mentions in his post (Edinburgh, Belfast, Glasgow), there is actually a choice to fly BCN-NYC non-stop if you don't want to fly UA's 757, namely DL's BCN-JFK non-stop on an A330, of AA's BCN-JFK non-stop on a 767-300.
The reason I've been watching these flights is that wife and I are doing that route in a few weeks. When I was looking to book this flight there were other options, the one I was leaning towars was a BA 787 from AUS->LHR and then a BA A321 from LHR->BCN, and same route on the way back. The ONLY reason we chose the UA flights is because the wife is a 1K so we get the extra baggage allowance, not paying for E+ seats and a chance to use a few GPU's to try for a BF seat. Looks like I should have just paid for the luggage and upgraded coach seats. So far very slim chance of an upgrade, BF has been sold out on UA120 for over a month and UA121 is down to 2 seats left. Also hoping to keep the middle seat open between us, that's now also taken on the outbound. At least we have FC seats on the RJ between AUS and EWR on both legs.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason I've been watching these flights is that wife and I are doing that route in a few weeks. When I was looking to book this flight there were other options, the one I was leaning towars was a BA 787 from AUS->LHR and then a BA A321 from LHR->BCN, and same route on the way back. The ONLY reason we chose the UA flights is because the wife is a 1K so we get the extra baggage allowance, not paying for E+ seats and a chance to use a few GPU's to try for a BF seat. Looks like I should have just paid for the luggage and upgraded coach seats. So far very slim chance of an upgrade, BF has been sold out on UA120 for over a month and UA121 is down to 2 seats left. Also hoping to keep the middle seat open between us, that's now also taken on the outbound. At least we have FC seats on the RJ between AUS and EWR on both legs.
Yes, there are only 16 BF seats on the UA 752's, so perhaps that's one reason the upgrade is so tough.

But at least you'll get E+. Yes, it's not anything fancy, but at least you get quite a bit more legroom and it's free.

I'm based in NYC, so for me, the first consideration is a preference for a non-stop flight over any connection, when possible. If I were flying NYC-ARN I would go ahead and pick the UA 757, even if there is a potential for fuel diversion, simply based on the principle that any other option would involve a stop, which is basically a "guaranteed" diversion.

But if I were in your shoes, yes, it's a little more complicated. The good news is you will definitely not have a diversion eastbound; that never happens (not for fuel, at least). The bad news is you might have one on the return trip and while I'm not exactly sure what your routing is, it appears as if the EWR-AUS connection leaves 5 hours after the scheduled arrival of UA121 at EWR so, even with an unscheduled stop at scenic Bangor you should be okay...

Look at the bright side, even if your BF upgrades don't clear, you'll be guaranteed E+, which certainly beats the pretty wretched E- on BA. As far as connecting cities I would usually say that anything beats flying through LHR, but with EWR as your option, it's pretty much a toss up...

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:11 am
Suspended

The only reason that UA's 757's are diverted more often is because these fuel stops happen on flights with longer distances.

DL flies 757s JFK-DUB, but on JFK-BCN, they fly an A330.

If DL flew a 752 on JFK-BCN there is little question they would have similar fuel diversions rates (unless they weight restricted the a/c).
Delta flies a 757 on the ARN to JFK route which is approximately 60 miles longer then the UA 757 BCN to EWR. The delta flight doesn't need to divert nearly as much as the UA 757. Someone explained in another UA forum that this is due to the better engines on the DL 757s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.