Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
A lot of people on FT claim they couldn't possibly endure a narrowbody transoceanic flight, which is pretty funny because they were commonplace for decades, through 1980 or so. There's really no difference in individual comfort compared to the widebodies, and you get to circumvent big difficult hubs in Europe. CO opened secondary markets like BRS, BFS and EDI direct from EWR and, before EWR went totally to hell, it was a definite net positive to fly a 757 out of there to those small markets and avoid transiting EWR.
As long as I could get an aisle seat in E+, I think I'd give it a whirl.

But the LH free booze would be missed
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EWR764
When was that? EWR has been hell for as long as I can remember!
Either I've gotten older and crankier or EWR has gotten worse, but ten years ago I was still willing to risk connections through there to overseas longhaul flights. Now, no way.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:34 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I have to admit, I've intentionally avoided narrow-body TATL flights in the past, but after flying a LH 747 in Y, I think I agree with you here.
I've also intentionally avoided the 757 on TATL's even though I've been in BF. I am beginning to think that a sCO 757 BF seat is better than a sUA 767 or 777 BF seat.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I've also intentionally avoided the 757 on TATL's even though I've been in BF. I am beginning to think that a sCO 757 BF seat is better than a sUA 767 or 777 BF seat.
Just curious - how are they different - I thought they were similar? thanks
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
Either I've gotten older and crankier or EWR has gotten worse, but ten years ago I was still willing to risk connections through there to overseas longhaul flights. Now, no way.
Ten years ago there was probably more mainline as a % of overall CO operations, so in that respect I would agree. I used to fly CO Mad Dogs and 737s to BUF, PVD, MHT, RDU etc. As we know, RJ-heaven these days. The airport has not gotten much better at handling foul weather and the people certainly haven't gotten nicer, though!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:03 am

The EWR-BCN route has usually be the 757-200 but I've noticed that the past few days, and all of July is showing 764's been used on this route. I happen to be on this route on 8/27 and noticed that BF is completly booked, can't even buy a seat up front. I wonder if demand on this route is picking up and have decided to change it to a 764?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:19 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by StingWest
Just curious - how are they different - I thought they were similar? thanks
The sCO 757's (and 767-400 and 777) all have the "Continental-style" BF seats and have a more spacious cabin configuration than the sUA BF seats. For example, the sCO 767-400's are 2-1-2 and the sUA 767-300's are 2-2-2 in an alternating front-facing, backwards facing layout. The sCO BF seats seem to be wider and more spacious coupled with the cabin layout just a more private feeling. Just my opinion.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Some of my best experiences traveling internationally in Y have been in this airplane. There's AVOD and 7ABC has SO much legroom. The cabin is much more intimate -- and, in my experience, the service is better because of it. Far superior to the likes of the UA 747 experience in Y...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
w/o the 752 UAs map for its own metal flights TATL would look like AAs or USs , few and far in between
Few and far in between? AA/US only have 7% fewer TATL own metal flights, and they operate more seats on more routes TATL on their own metal than UA does.

Using Monday's schedule for US-EU, since this week may be weird due to the holiday:
Code:
 carrier | destinations | routes | flights | seats 
---------+--------------+--------+---------+-------
 AAUS    |           22 |     56 |      67 | 16137
 DL      |           25 |     57 |      72 | 17358
 UA      |           26 |     54 |      72 | 15847
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:37 am

The real question is why airlines insist on flying 767s and 747s TATL. These planes are gass guzzlers that needed to be replaced with 787s and 777s ages ago.

The 757 still has a niche that nobody has quite figured out how to replace. Even the 787 has substantially more seats than a 757 though perhaps the fuel savings are enough that it doesn't matter. I wonder if Boeing will think about making a shortened 787 after the 787-9.

The main disadvantage of the 757 aside from age is the long turnaround time to board and deboard everyone through a single aisle. Boeing was even considering a widebody 737 replacement arguing that the shortened turnaround times would outweigh the fuel costs for shorthaul airlines like Ryanair or Southwest. That didn't go anywhere but you can imagine how the even larger 757 is affected by it.

The best thing pmCO did was have a consistent product with the full BF seat and service on the 757s. It can be a bit claustrophobic in the smaller cabin but the convenience of a direct flight and the comfortable seat quickly erases that feeling and you can sit back and forget it's any different than a 767 or 330 which are hardly any bigger physically. I'm always a bit surprised at first when I get on a 777 or 747 with how high the ceiling is but that impression only lasts a minute.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:49 am

Having flown TATL in coach on both the 767-300 and 757-200, I prefer the 757. The 767 does have a 2-3-2 seat arrangement in coach, which is nice since it avoids a middle seat. But the lack of overhead storage space and decent entertainment on the 767 make it a less comfortable flight overall.

And having family in NJ while I studied in Cardiff, UK, I really appreciated pmCO (and to a less extent current UA) nonstop flights between EWR and British cities that aren't London.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
The sCO 757's (and 767-400 and 777) all have the "Continental-style" BF seats and have a more spacious cabin configuration than the sUA BF seats. For example, the sCO 767-400's are 2-1-2 and the sUA 767-300's are 2-2-2 in an alternating front-facing, backwards facing layout. The sCO BF seats seem to be wider and more spacious coupled with the cabin layout just a more private feeling. Just my opinion.
They also offer 6 inches of foot room that makes it impossible to sleep on your side, what feels like less room between the seat and the screen - making it tough to get out from the window, and a grainy screen with VHS quality movies and selection that is about 50% less than sUA planes! Its Business"First" all the way!

Last edited by kevanyalowitz; Jul 3, 2014 at 11:08 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zkzkz
The real question is why airlines insist on flying 767s and 747s TATL. These planes are gass guzzlers that needed to be replaced with 787s and 777s ages ago.
The real, obvious answer is that new fleets cost billions the airlines don't have. It's the same reason unemployed people keep driving ten-year-old cars that get 20 mpg although a new $40,000 car gets 35 mpg.

In addition, 747s and (to a greater extent) 767s remain size-appropriate for many TATL routes, especially hub-to-hub ones.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Count me in as another passenger very satisfied with E+ flights on these birds: ARN-EWR was particularly pleasant recently. Boarding was inefficient, but presumably UA is pleased with the economics of these aircraft overall.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
When was that? EWR has been hell for as long as I can remember!
It's still hell. As a 1K, last month I flew EWR-MAD and BCN-EWR with M fare and GPU, neither got upgraded. Flight EWR-MAD was delayed for 6 hours. Flight BCN-EWR stuck in Exit row and the seat was no-reclined. Food was terrible for both directions. Planes are full and the 757 must be very profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.