Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
and a grainy screen with VHS quality movies and selection that is about 50% less than sUA planes
The sCO 757 has the same IFE system (not interface) as the sUA 3-cabin 763 and 744. Same selection, same quality.

The 2-cabin 767-300ER, 767-400 and 777 have the same IFE system (not interface) across the sCO and sUA subs.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
The sCO 757 has the same IFE system (not interface) as the sUA 3-cabin 763 and 744. Same selection, same quality.
I very much doubt that. The movies on the 757 are clearly lower fidelity files. In my experience the selection is definitely less on the sCO aircraft. You also can't pause a movie on the sCO systems, go to another screen, and return to the movie where you left off.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I very much doubt that. The movies on the 757 are clearly lower fidelity files.
Incorrect.

In my experience the selection is definitely less on the sCO aircraft.
Incorrect.

http://www.united.com/web/format/pdf...ie-listing.pdf

You also can't pause a movie on the sCO systems, go to another screen, and return to the movie where you left off.
Correct.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

757's are fine Trans-Atlantic. The aircraft you have to worry about are when Airbus and Boeing start releasing the new A320 Neo's/737 Max's. I also guarantee you airlines like UA will start replacing 757's with them across the ocean if possible. I will refuse to fly any 737/A320 Trans-Atlantic.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

I prefer the 757 directly from Ireland to the U.S. over the 777 you get if you fly via LHR. 757 in premium economy is one of the more comfortable rides you're going to have outside business/first...meanwhile premium economy on a 777 feels like regular economy in the 90s.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I prefer the 757 directly from Ireland to the U.S. over the 777 you get if you fly via LHR. 757 in premium economy is one of the more comfortable rides you're going to have outside business/first...meanwhile premium economy on a 777 feels like regular economy in the 90s.
I'd connect in 1960's Soviet Russia to go to Ireland if it meant I didn't have to connect in LHR
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by star_world
Incorrect.
Disagree. All of my sCO IFE (and sUA 2-class 767) IFE has had what appeared to be far lower fidelity video. It is either the screen or the file. On top of that, the UI makes a 1990s cable set top box look high tech.

Originally Posted by star_world
Correct.
If this is correct, how is it the same IFE system as on the sUA 3-cabin planes?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Disagree. All of my sCO IFE (and sUA 2-class 767) IFE has had what appeared to be far lower fidelity video. It is either the screen or the file. On top of that, the UI makes a 1990s cable set top box look high tech.
Sure - you're entitled to your opinion. I have a keen interest in the subject and have spent hundreds of hours sitting in front of all of these screens, resulting in my opinion.

If this is correct, how is it the same IFE system as on the sUA 3-cabin planes?
for this reason:

The sCO 757 has the same IFE system (not interface) as the sUA 3-cabin 763 and 744.
Same system, different UI.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Referring to E+ as "premium economy" is just going to confuse people. United doesn't have a premium economy product a la NZ or BA.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Referring to E+ as "premium economy" is just going to confuse people. United doesn't have a premium economy product a la NZ or BA.
That is true, it was a bad choice of words. Economy Plus is a fair term and it is appropriately priced as well.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:02 pm

The 2-cabin 767-300ER, 767-400 and 777 have the same IFE system (not interface) across the sCO and sUA subs.
Last month I came in from Frankfurt to Chicago on 945, oped up from C to F, then hitched a ride on a 2-class intl. 757 back home to SFO. I've been on these 757s before, but never right after an IPTE flight. One of the first things that struck out to me was the apparent lower resolution of the IFE. The screens must be the same size (I think 15.4"), and they're both B/E, so I would imagine they are the same technical resolution. But the one in the 777 just appeared higher quality, which leads me to believe the content is encoded in a lower resolution on the 757. I mean, I don't want to sound dramatic, as it's hardly something that would have me avoid the plane over, but there was a noticeable enough difference.

Also, does anybody know the resolution on the next generation lie flats AA is using? Or the one on Ethiad's new 787? I'm not sure you'd be able to see full 1080p on such a small display, but was curious nonetheless.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jul 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Last month I came in from Frankfurt to Chicago on 945, oped up from C to F, then hitched a ride on a 2-class intl. 757 back home to SFO. I've been on these 757s before, but never right after an IPTE flight. One of the first things that struck out to me was the apparent lower resolution of the IFE. The screens must be the same size (I think 15.4"), and they're both B/E, so I would imagine they are the same technical resolution. But the one in the 777 just appeared higher quality, which leads me to believe the content is encoded in a lower resolution on the 757. I mean, I don't want to sound dramatic, as it's hardly something that would have me avoid the plane over, but there was a noticeable enough difference.
The resolution of the interface appears to be higher on the IPTE system, but the movies may be the same quality. The hardware could even be the same resolution panel, the sCO interface is just pixel doubled or something.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's no doubt the sCO 752 has lesser resolution (and a clunkier interface) than the newer aircraft, including the new ps. I also seem to recall noting that the IPTE 772 has the sharper resolution as well.

In fact, I believe the division in systems is expressly reflected in the inflight guide, which shows that the sCO752, the 744, and the three-class 763 have the more limited system. This is 100% consistent with my observations. See On Demand Entertainment Movie Listing.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no doubt the sCO 752 has lesser resolution (and a clunkier interface) than the newer aircraft, including the new ps. I also seem to recall noting that the IPTE 772 has the sharper resolution as well.

In fact, I believe the division in systems is expressly reflected in the inflight guide, which shows that the sCO752, the 744, and the three-class 763 have the more limited system. This is 100% consistent with my observations. See On Demand Entertainment Movie Listing.
The 744/763 IPTE have a smaller selection than the 777, but the same interface/resolution as best I can tell.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
The 744/763 IPTE have a smaller selection than the 777, but the same interface/resolution as best I can tell.
Agree on the interface. I'll be on the 763 in a couple hours and will refresh my memory on the resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.