Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:17 pm

HNL oversized bag for 1k

I been searching on the forum. I saw a bunch people asking about the oversized fee for 1k. Just want to know if anyone have experience flying out on HNL, are they strict at the ticketing counter?

I got UA 1k, only checking 1 large printer. the size is 31*21*13.

Flying out tomorrow, thanks in advance!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darenhuang
I been searching on the forum. I saw a bunch people asking about the oversized fee for 1k. Just want to know if anyone have experience flying out on HNL, are they strict at the ticketing counter?

No special forgiveness for 1K.

You are at 65" and the max is 62" -- you might get by but if the agent measures it, no waivers for 1K

There is some many different agents at airports like HNL there isn't guaranteed answer. At a smaller airport with only 1 or 2 agents you might be able to depend on something but HNL is much larger.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2016 at 10:53 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by darenhuang

I wouldn't take the risk. Be prepared to caugh up an extra $200. Any chance you could cut the containing box down? I've done this several times to avoid the surcharge.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:29 am

I would defy anyone to EYEBALL the difference between 62 and 65"....

However... if the box CAN be cut down as LAXOGG suggests Id be jumping on that idea...

Have done so myself...and got a 75" box down to 68.....I made a loop of rope and taped it to the box to provide some "handles"...at check in ALL I got was praise for doing that...lol
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've never seen anyone measure before, but I suppose if you way bigger than the size and challenged them, they could pull out the ruler.

Even with weight, I've seen them allow you to go over a little

I suppose its the ultimate YMMV

Note, that many inexperience flyers dont realize that the overage fee is per bag, and not by number of lbs over. I once saw a flyer try to check 3 over weight bags for an intl flight, and the agent quoted her the enormous fee. Her carryons were packed full so she couldnt move stuff. She was ready to pay it until I told her "move the overweight stuff from the two bags into one bag if you can fit it, then you only pay one fee, not three" Then agent said "he's right, you should do that". Luckily there was no one behind her.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:10 pm

Oversize baggage dillemma

I bought four paintings from Shanghai (each measures 150x200cm).

I can have them shipped, but since i love Shanghai (it's a favorite mileage run for me), I was hoping to get them myself and return to SFO. I'm 1k on United if that matters.

However, it appears that I am going to be significantly over the max linear size to travel. I see people check paintings of this size all the time (i mean they check bicycles and surf boards for pete's sake). I dont mind paying extra, as long as i get them on the plane with me.

Does anyone have any ideas? United mentioned their united cargo service, but then I called them and they told me I needed a freight forwarder to use the service.

Thanks everyone! Happy NY!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Surprised you didn't check with seller for shipping options. United's going to limit damage liability if you try to bring them back yourself ("art" is towards bottom of this lengthy list):

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/fragile.aspx

...UA has specific provisions for a lot of oversized items (bikes/surfboards/skis/etc), but in general:

"Baggage with total outer dimensions (length + width + height) measuring more than 115 inches (292 cm) will not be accepted as checked baggage"

YMMV, but those are pretty big and I think you're going to have to figure out something besides United. I'd go back to seller and see what they can offer.

Edit:Re-reading your post, it looks like you do have a shipping option. Take it.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 31, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Can you roll them up?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Checked in baggage restrictions

Hi all,

Travelling from MSY to SFO next May on United, and am checking out the checked in baggage sizes. The website states 23KG maximum and linear size of 157cm. Thing is that most of the decent luggage we're looking at seems to add up to about 161-163 cm. Given that we will be within the weight limit, how strict are checkin about a couple of inches between friends?

ta

dq
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never been hassled for checking a big suitcase. Only once in all my travels I have seen the check-in agent (and I don't think it was in the US or on UA) taking out a tape measure to measure the dimension on suitcases. Still, you never know.
dqtvsound likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Amex
I have been charged the $100 for one inch over the linear dimension. And the linear dimension calculation includes wheels.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA
I once checked an odd-ball long cardboard box, as 1K, at a UAX airport. I'm sure it surpassed the limit. The agent checking it in was quite friendly. An apparent contractor luggage handling type behind the counter was tapping the guy on the elbow and saying something about the length, like the classroom goody-goody telling on a classmate. The agent dismissed him with a "yeah, yeah, OK, thanks for the info." and tagged my item with no charges. I've checked an awful lot of big, heavy bags and strange items (family traveling on long vacations); never a hassle from UA agents.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jburns513
I have been charged the $100 for one inch over the linear dimension. And the linear dimension calculation includes wheels.
seriously? How did they determine that? Did you just check in, put your bag on the scale, then someone pulled out a tape measure?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is plenty of luggage out there which is well within the standard size allowance. It's all about risk tolerance. Given the hefty fee if UA decides to crack down or the particular agent who checks your bag feels like measuring, it's worth considering sticking to the maximum size.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:53 pm

As a 1K, I’ve frequently slightly superseded the weight limit. Never has the agent batted an eye. Once someone asked a supervisor, but she approved once status was determined. I would presume same largess apply for dimensions as long as status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.