Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Generally speaking, I don't believe that airport scales are regulated anywhere in the U.S.
Weights and Measures is typically a state-operated function.

https://www.azdwm.gov/?q=press-relea...ge-scales-test
Old May 30, 2015, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Check curbside. Those guys are not UA employees and count on tips. The guy will know exactly what you face for a fee, so make it worth his while. If the overweight fee is $100, give him $20-30 and you've saved $70-80 and he's happy.

As others note, the "HEAVY" tag is now mandatory for internal liability, e.g. workers comp rules.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've come up at 51 on the airport scales and they've let it go--it's always been under 50 by my scale.
I showed up at AS counters with 52 & 51 lb bags (20 years of 70 lb allowance via UA and only doing bags a handful of times annually left me forgetting there might be an issue) and even when I got one to 50.1 the agent was not ready to give me the wink. The carryon on got heavier and heavier -- the total bag + carryon weight stay the same.

A different weight issue occurred with LH -- The carryon was too heavy. Just took out the day backpack and created an second carryon. Got the sticker on both and then proceed to repack the day backpack in the carryon.

While understanding the distinction in the different weight categories -- it does lead to some silliness at times.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Generally speaking, I don't believe that airport scales are regulated anywhere in the U.S. (However, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to say that they should be.) Anyway, I usually just hope the agent will accept my checked bag the way it is packed, even if it's a few pounds over limit. This has happened a few times over many years, but I don't recall ever exceeding more than 2-3 lbs. The only time I was refused was on SQ, flying transpac J, when I had a box of books that I ended up unboxing and putting half of them in my rollaboard. Good luck!
I once saw SQ weighing carry on bags on the jetway and being quite nasty about it, even for passengers in business and FC. This was the LAX-NRT-SIN TPAC.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I once saw SQ weighing carry on bags on the jetway and being quite nasty about it, even for passengers in business and FC.
Non-NA carriers care much more about cabin weight than NA carriers. We were recently forced to check carryons due to weight restrictions by Aerolineas Argentinas, and several years ago to redistribute weight in carryons by Spanair.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2015 at 8:20 pm Reason: Removed response to OT post
Old May 30, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Personally, I'd just try to get away with it but have room in your carry-on if you get someone who tries to charge. Any time I've been a pound or two over, they've just let it go, but I wouldn't trust that 100% of the time.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure about UA, but was just at the airport to help send my parents-in-law back to India. They were flying DL (connecting to AF, but that is probably irrelevant). They put the bag on the scale and the first one was 53 pounds - agent said it would have to be re-packed as policy allows comping just 2 pounds of extra weight from what is published - so 52 pounds. Long story shorter, the other three bags were either just over or just under the limit - re-packed, they had each of the 4 bags weighing exactly 52 in the end. I consider them very lucky to be able to meet the exception exactly to the limit without getting a hefty overweight fee.

Oh, and each of the bags got a heavy tag.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Give the bag to a SkyCap with a $10 bill. It will check through just fine.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
Give the bag to a SkyCap with a $10 bill. It will check through just fine.
BINGO!
Old May 30, 2015, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
For example the scale in OGG showed 6lbs more than in DEN for all our luggage pieces recently.
Well, that makes sense given the difference in altitude.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Well, that makes sense given the difference in altitude.

I hear the scales in Australia read backwards - like how the toilets flush.

OP: Just pack 50 pounds and relax.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
On a regional flight late last year was under half a pound overweight and was made to transfer a book into my carryon. So they can be pedantic.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by kettle1
She also said that the scales are calibrated every two weeks by a private company paid by the airport, where DL rents counter space. Look on the side of the scale - there is a sticker when it was last calibrated.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Weights and Measures is typically a state-operated function.
Yeah, I totally erred when I said that airport scales are not regulated anywhere. I should have said that airport scales are not subject to a uniform set of regulatory controls. I've read somewhere that LAX's scales are inspected every 12 months, and read elsewhere that a place, perhaps SEA, has inspections every 36 months. Anyway, whether it's 50 lbs or 70 lbs (or the kg equivalent on other *A, non *A, and LCCs), I've pushed past the limit by a little bit several times in the past and, with the exception of that one time on SQ, was not refused by the agent. So, I'm led to believe that there is a certain leeway because of the inconsistencies from one scale to another.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I once saw SQ weighing carry on bags on the jetway and being quite nasty about it, even for passengers in business and FC. This was the LAX-NRT-SIN TPAC.
This was also my concern when I was unboxing my books on that SQ trip. Years ago, I had been stopped in the jetway of a BR (before *A) LAX-TPE flight, where an agent hand-weighed all the rollaboards (IIRC the carry-on weight limit was 7 kg). Then I figured that if I got hand-weighed again, the rollaboard would be checked just like before. As it turned out, no hand-weighing on the jetway. The female SQ FA even offered to help me put the rollaboard into the overhead bin (it must have weighed 40+ lb ), but I just couldn't let her. I understand it was probably unsafe, but I've also seen pictures of people inside those bins.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
I agree with the suggestion to go with a SkyCap. I've seen people having to repack a 51 lb bag. People usually pull out books. I think UA allows "light reading material" in addition to the carry on and personal item. The strangest thing I saw pulled out was several full bottles of water! Those could have become very expensive bottles of water.

Before I qualified for 70lb bags, we used to travel with a portable digital luggage scale. It enabled us to distribute the weight before arriving at the airport. The portable scale seemed to be very accurate as far as matching United's scales when we were close to the limit. I never had to use it in DEN but used it many times in OGG.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
It really depends on the agent. I was returning from a 7 day cruise with my family in FLL in Y, and all six of our checked bags were over 50lbs, the heaviest being 54lbs, but the agent did not charge us for the bags (she did place a heavy tag on them). On the other hand, I was flying international J from EWR and one bag was one pound over while my other was ten pounds under and the agent made me transfer one pound to the lighter bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.