Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Checked in no problem. Agent didn't ask size at all (she did ask what was in it)

No problem on return trip either.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 1, 2014 at 8:25 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Checked in no problem. Agent didn't ask size at all (she did ask what was in it)
Thanks for the update.. I'm going to check three Pelican 1620 cases at LAX today. While their dimensions are well within limits, one of them may be a pound or two over 70 lbs. Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Limes.

Best part is, now you know who to and who not to listen to on FT.... (what horrible construction)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jclarke
.. While their dimensions are well within limits, one of them may be a pound or two over 70 lbs. Fingers crossed!
While dimension are usually just eyeballed, weight is nearly always checked. Chances of being stopped for weight issues are far greater than dimension issues. Have backup plan.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While dimension are usually just eyeballed, weight is nearly always checked. Chances of being stopped for weight issues are far greater than dimension issues. Have backup plan.
I had a backup plan of filling my carryon with the heaver contents. But the agents simply Asked me to pile all of the cases on the scale at once so they could rapidly tag them. No weighing involved, but they did attach 'HEAVY' tags to each of them.

Don't tell Jeff.....

And I apologize in advance to people on my EMB120 leg.. Wonder how much cargo capacity it has.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 1, 2014 at 8:25 am
Old May 30, 2015, 11:24 am

Checked luggage overweight - how much is too much?

I'm a frequent flyer on United(Star Alliance) with a United-Chase-Visa Explorer credit card, entitling me to a 50 lb.first piece checked luggage allowance. How much over 50 will they let me exceed the limit? I'd like it to be 52 lbs.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thailen
.... How much over 50 will they let me exceed the limit? I'd like it to be 52 lbs.
better find a place for the 2 lbs in your carry-on. And remember the overweight determination is made with their scales, so best not to try to be too close to the limit.

Or in other words do not expect any leniency.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:34 am

I've already planned for the spillover to go in my already almost full carry-on. Unless their scales are different from the U.S. Poist Office scales, I hope I won't be surprised at the airport.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd leave the extra items in the ckd bag and save some space in the carry-on, maybe you come across a courteous check-in agent or skycap - keeping tip handy for the latter doesn't hurt.... . In the worst case you can always repack, if needed. However, I have come across other carriers, who ask for the carry-on to go on the scale as well. Good luck!
Old May 30, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
better find a place for the 2 lbs in your carry-on. And remember the overweight determination is made with their scales, so best not to try to be too close to the limit.

Or in other words do not expect any leniency.
For example the scale in OGG showed 6lbs more than in DEN for all our luggage pieces recently.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by thailen
Unless their scales are different from the U.S. Poist Office scales
They are. No two scales in the world are the same.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Generally speaking, I don't believe that airport scales are regulated anywhere in the U.S. (However, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to say that they should be.) Anyway, I usually just hope the agent will accept my checked bag the way it is packed, even if it's a few pounds over limit. This has happened a few times over many years, but I don't recall ever exceeding more than 2-3 lbs. The only time I was refused was on SQ, flying transpac J, when I had a box of books that I ended up unboxing and putting half of them in my rollaboard. Good luck!
Old May 30, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Generally speaking, I don't believe that airport scales are regulated anywhere in the U.S. (However, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to say that they should be.) Anyway, I usually just hope the agent will accept my checked bag the way it is packed, even if it's a few pounds over limit. This has happened a few times over many years, but I don't recall ever exceeding more than 2-3 lbs. The only time I was refused was on SQ, flying transpac J, when I had a box of books that I ended up unboxing and putting half of them in my rollaboard. Good luck!
I've come up at 51 on the airport scales and they've let it go--it's always been under 50 by my scale.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
curbside check-in

Try doing curbside check-in. My experience has been that valet are much more mercy on customers then a UA agent.

Let us know how it goes.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I asked a ticket agent for DL that I have known for years. She said they are required to put a HEAVY tag on any bag over 50 lbs. If they do not and someone on the ramp gets hurt, they are in BIG trouble. It is for the safety of the baggage handlers and to prevent OJI's.

She also said that the scales are calibrated every two weeks by a private company paid by the airport, where DL rents counter space. Look on the side of the scale - there is a sticker when it was last calibrated.

I am sure UA is the same.

OP: Just pack your bag up to 50 lbs, or pull out a $10 bill and check in your 52 lb. bag with a Skycap. For $10 I am sure they would take the risk, as they are contract employees.

If an employee gets hurt lifting a bag over 50 lbs without a HEAVY tag, the airline will look up and see that the PX was not charged for the excess weight and that is the same as stealing from the Company (UA in this case).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.