Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA P, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The fee will be the standard 4th bag fee is $150-200 depending on destination and yes overweight fees apply $100 (50-70 lbs)-$200(70-100 lbs)depending on weight

The way to think about elite bag benefits is as a fee waiver
There is a fee schedule and elites receive a waiver for some of those up to a certain level. Any thing beyond the waiver levels returns to the standard schedule.

So Plat waivers the fee for first 3 bags and waives the 50-70 lbs fees for those 3 bags. but the 4th bag is the standard fee schedule -- not modified / adjust for elite status.
I just checked the united baggage calculator with a transpacific flight in April, EWR-NRT, also checked SFO-PVG. Choose the cabin as economy and status as Platinum, it shows that Platinum only gets 50lbs baggage, is this a new thing due to covid, or that's just a website bug.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by pigfly
I just checked the united baggage calculator with a transpacific flight in April, EWR-NRT, also checked SFO-PVG. Choose the cabin as economy and status as Platinum, it shows that Platinum only gets 50lbs baggage, is this a new thing due to covid, or that's just a website bug.
not sure, I think it's new / standardization with ANA JV (you see BasicEconomy baggage allowance as well even though they havent' started selling BE for transpacific )

if yous croll down to the bottom, it still says for EWR-NRT Premier Silver : Maximum weight per bag 70 pounds

EWR-BOM still 70lb for silver & above with no mention of BE

go complain to UA, their full premier benefits chart still says 70lb for silver and up
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html

there is a footnote (2) for saying to use Baggage calculator
Complimentary checked baggage allowance applicable only on United® and United Express® operated flights, and is determined by Premier status at time of check-in with United. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pigfly
Checjked a couple of other TATL (so not a NH JV issue) and got the same 50lbs --- suspect this is an error as just below that it states 70 lbs

Appears not to be taking status in account. I would go with 70 lbs as the right answer
pigfly likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Does sporting equipment bag have to have that equipment in it?

I’ve traveled a few times with my bike in case - all simple and I don’t even remember them asking what was in the case but it’s very obviously a hard side bicycle case. Way over linear 62” but usually right around 50lbs with my bike.

I want to use it to transport something else (a couple of framed posters that otherwise I don’t think would survive being checked). Would anyone care that the sporting equipment case has something that’s not sporting equipment in it?

Also on the way back I’ll be checking the case *empty* so technically it also won’t have sporting equipment in it … would that be an issue?

Last edited by asya999; Feb 1, 2024 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by asya999
I’ve traveled a few times with my bike in case - all simple and I don’t even remember them asking what was in the case but it’s very obviously a hard side bicycle case. Way over linear 62” but usually right around 50lbs with my bike.

I want to use it to transport something else (a couple of framed posters that otherwise I don’t think would survive being checked). Would anyone care that the sporting equipment case has something that’s not sporting equipment in it?

Also on the way back I’ll be checking the case *empty* so technically it also won’t have sporting equipment in it … would that be an issue?
I think if it looks like a bike case it's highly unlikely they'll ask you to verify there's a bike in there. And as a 1K it's even less likely, because they aren't in the habit of trying to make money for checked luggage fees off 1Ks.

Analogy - ski bags are supposed to contain only skis if you're taking advantage of ski bag plus boot bag= 1 bag. I have never had UA ask to confirm I have only skis in the bag (and I don't - I have jackets, gloves, etc.). Of course, a boot bag and a ski bag as two separate bags and I'm still not at the 3 bag allowance. But point being - they haven't seemed too rigorous on verifying sports bags are being used for sporting purposes per the rules.

Same for empty bag - though you could always toss some dirty laundry in to weight it down. ("Damn that's a light bike!")
asya999 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by asya999
Would anyone care that the sporting equipment case has something that’s not sporting equipment in it?
I was asked once to confirm that my golf bag contained only golfing equipment at a premier check-in counter. That was once out of ~20 times. It was a very casual query with no threat or attempt at verification. I think the odds are well in your favor.
asya999 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When our kids were littles, and we travelled with strollers and/or car seats, we used to throw a few extra items in those bags - often jackets after arriving at the terminal. We sometimes gate checked them with pink tags and sometimes did it at the desk to pick up at bag claim. Never once asked about it.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Same for empty bag - though you could always toss some dirty laundry in to weight it down. ("Damn that's a light bike!")
"You know those new carbon fiber bikes weigh almost nothing"

The much bigger thing is making sure it doesn't check any of the hazardous materials boxes. I saw someone roll up to premier check in with a gas-powered generator (supposedly new in box) and I've never seen more agents swarm someone acting normally so quickly "you should go... This is gonna take a while" said the agent who was helping me
asya999 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think if it looks like a bike case it's highly unlikely they'll ask you to verify there's a bike in there. And as a 1K it's even less likely, because they aren't in the habit of trying to make money for checked luggage fees off 1Ks.
Yeah, I've checked my ski bag multiple times with clothes in it -- sometimes *just* clothes. Agents have asked a couple times ('do you have skis in there?') and I usually reply (mostly) truthfully 'yeah a pair of skis and a lot of clothes'. Exactly 0.000% of the time they've given a crap about it; they laugh and check it in. And that's as a no-status pax. Honestly one of the reasons I like United; some asian airlines have been way more strict.

I wouldn't worry about your bike case being inspected too closely.
asya999 and drewguy like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah, I've checked my ski bag multiple times with clothes in it -- sometimes *just* clothes. Agents have asked a couple times ('do you have skis in there?') and I usually reply (mostly) truthfully 'yeah a pair of skis and a lot of clothes'. .
Well, when it flops around and bends in the middle it's probably obvious there aren't skis.
SPN Lifer and asya999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.