Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Often1
The answer is that you can get 1,000 responses, but you cannot be sure. Your risk is $50 each direction ($150 vs. $200). Can you buy one for less?
Good points. Unfortunately I cannot buy one for less. I don't mind $50 risk, I wouldn't be all that disappointed if I got charged the oversized fee.... for the return trip. If I were charged on the way there, then I'd be upset (not with UA, just in general), I do not want to pay $400 for round trip. And If I bring it on the flight, I do not have the box to ship home, so I'd be forced to take the same risk returning.

True I can get 1000 responses leaning either way, but based on answer predominance, I can make an educated decision.

As a side note: I can flex the bag slightly, so depending on how it's measured, it could be 51.25 x 7.25 x 3.5=62" or it could be 52x8x4=64, will an agent spend time debating this point?

If they don't charge you as you're checking it in, you won't get charged, right? They won't slap an oversize sticker on it afterwards and charge you later, will they?

Last edited by joecool1885; Sep 17, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
If they don't charge you as you're checking it in, you won't get charged, right? They won't slap an oversize sticker on it afterwards and charge you later, will they?
They shouldn't charge you after the fact.

I feel like if you don't draw attention to it, they'll be less likely to check
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
If they don't charge you as you're checking it in, you won't get charged, right?
That is correct, never heard of them charging after the fact, but with UA these days it wouldn't be a surprise.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I traveled recently overseas in C with an obviously oversized box that was about 84 linear inches and paid the oversize fee. The $200 fee was a bargain compared to the $1400 fedex wanted to ship it overseas. I didn't request that they waive the fee and they didn't offer. If you are within a couple of inches they might let it slide, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
If they don't charge you as you're checking it in, you won't get charged, right?
That's right, but each check-in is a different situation. If they let you check it for free on the outbound segments, this doesn't give you a vested right to have the charges waived on the return flight.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am not sure "obvious" a 2" difference in length would make and if it were me, I would try to check it in. If you can flex it without much hassle then you have no issues at all as it is within the limitations.

Does SMF or HNL have curbside check in as a lot of times those guys do not check size requirements.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's right, but each check-in is a different situation. If they let you check it for free on the outbound segments, this doesn't give you a vested right to have the charges waived on the return flight.
No, it doesn't. No such thing as "vesting" and the fees are disclosed. The fact that some agent chooses to waive a fee doesn't mean that it will be waived subsequently.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Of course. If I'm charged on the return flight, to me it's no big deal anyway. I'm just worried I'll be charged for both going and coming, which is $400.

I think I'm going to chance it.... thanks for all your guys input. I'll let you know what happens.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Of course. If I'm charged on the return flight, to me it's no big deal anyway. I'm just worried I'll be charged for both going and coming, which is $400.

I think I'm going to chance it.... thanks for all your guys input. I'll let you know what happens.
I think you'll be fine. Or, more specifically, I think you have a better than 25% chance you won't pay for an oversized bag, which puts the expected value in your favor:

$150 > $200*.75 (or less)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:24 pm

It's only two inches too big? I doubt they will notice. Plus, the carry on sizers are an extra inch in each dimension, so maybe that gives you three inches on a checked bag, too ;-)

Please update the thread and let us know how it went.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
It's only two inches too big? I doubt they will notice. Plus, the carry on sizers are an extra inch in each dimension, so maybe that gives you three inches on a checked bag, too ;-)

Please update the thread and let us know how it went.
Will do. Flight is a month out.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Will do. Flight is a month out.
It's been a month. Update please!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jclarke
It's been a month. Update please!
Flight is tomorrow (Friday) morning. Will let you know.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:15 am

Back when I was gold, I was checking a single item. It was something like 65" X, 24 X 2 & weighed <10 lbs. The agent charged me $100. I was so pissed, & the agent was a stickler. At some point I was telling the story to CS in person @ ORD concerning a different issue, & I became so upset when I brought up the $100. I believe the CS saw the extensive number of upcoming paid flights (I was just starting to give UA my biz) & offered me a cert for $150 & an apology.

Moral of story : dont chance it
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: AADULtArer
You will be fine. Bring a slightly stretched tape measure if you want a backup plan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.