Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I checked a bag curbside the other day. The guy never looked at the weight. Thankfully, it was under 50. On the return, the bag weighed 51.5. The agent scolded me, but told me that she'll let it slide. She put on an overweight tag, and that was it. If she didn't let it slide, I would have thrown out my shampoo and/or other toiletries to bring the bag down to 50 lbs. (the carryon was at its limit for capacity, and it weighed quite a bit as well, so no repacking was possible )
Old May 31, 2015, 9:23 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Put zip ties on your bags before you get to the check-in desk.

I've done this with 51-53 lb. bags, and if they ask to take something out (about half the time), you can't because you can't open it as you have packed all scissors and whatnot. The agents never seem to have scissors or a pocket knife, which results in a supervisor being called over who then say that it's fine since they don't have one either.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I've had agents let 1-2 pounds slide in the past, even though we were more than willing to re-pack. You might not have an issue, but as others have said, be prepared to move some weight around.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bpe

I've done this with 51-53 lb. bags, and if they ask to take something out (about half the time), you can't because you can't open it as you have packed all scissors and whatnot. The agents never seem to have scissors or a pocket knife, which results in a supervisor being called over who then say that it's fine since they don't have one either.
I would just say "well that makes your decision easy. $100 please."
Old May 31, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bpe

It's not that the bag needs to be repacked. Just the overweight fee which OP wants to avoid.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:15 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Widgets
I would just say "well that makes your decision easy. $100 please."
That's never happened to me (on USA-based carriers at least).
But if it does, then is when you magically find your nail clippers that you had all along, then open the bag and remove a book or whatever.

If you make it more difficult for you or them to open the bag, then they are more likely to let it slide. Not a guarantee of course.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I showed up at AS counters with 52 & 51 lb bags (20 years of 70 lb allowance via UA and only doing bags a handful of times annually left me forgetting there might be an issue) and even when I got one to 50.1 the agent was not ready to give me the wink. The carryon on got heavier and heavier -- the total bag + carryon weight stay the same.
I normally pack a scale (one of the lift the bag with the scale types--quite small) so I know what the bag weight is. I never go over 49 pounds but then I add probably 8oz of straps and a lock. It's never been bag #1 (when I'm carrying stuff at the limit I'm always with my wife) that came in too heavy, when they see how close it is it usually provokes a comment and I explain that I weighed them when packing. I think they realize that a 51 is a case of scales disagreeing and don't want to press the issue.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Checked baggage oversize and 1K

Hello,
I'm traveling internationally tomorrow and taking with me a tent, packed in a zippered bag size: 46*9*9. All is all 64 inches which is 2 inches more than the size limit for a Checked in piece.
I'm a 1K traveling with my 5 yrs old daughter.

Will I be asked to pay the $200 oversize fee? Will me status help in this case? Any ways to avoid the fee?

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If it is under the weight limit (32 kg) I doubt you will be charged the fee.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UA has not explicitly provide a fee waiver for oversized baggage for the elite.

So I believe you will have to eat the cost.

However - it all depends if the GA will measure your baggage or not.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
UA has not explicitly provide a fee waiver for oversized baggage for the elite.

So I believe you will have to eat the cost.

However - it all depends if the GA will measure your baggage or not.
Technically you are right. But if it's in the weight limit and not all that much oversized (which is how he described it) the odds of them taking out a tape measure are pretty slim. Particularly since he will be checking in at an elite counter.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA doesn't provide size waivers for 1K's, so the standard rules apply. Whether the agent charges you depends on how eagle-eyed the agent is or wants to be. If he's just been lectured about letting oversized bags go, get your wallet out.

Just keep it friendly and low-key. If you are asked to pay, don't make a fuss.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Thank you all.
It'll be challenging but I hope the holiday crowd today will distract them from making unnecessary measurements. I wonder how they prorate thier fees - for 100$ you get another full blown suitcase, but if you bag measures 2 extra inch you'll need to pay 200$...I bet they drew a note from a hat and got 200$.... :-)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
You will get through fine within weight limits. I routinely check a huge showcase through which is both oversize and overweight and get charged only one fee, if any. Never on size, only on weight (98 lbs)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You will get through fine within weight limits. I routinely check a huge showcase through which is both oversize and overweight and get charged only one fee, if any. Never on size, only on weight (98 lbs)
Worked liked a charm! No fees, on its way.
Thank you all and happy ThanksGiving!

R

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.