Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rant - CO people need to get off their high horses...Paging UA Insider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - CO people need to get off their high horses...Paging UA Insider

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by channa
[SIZE=1]If anything, what they need is more scrutiny on the calls, fact checking, and ultimately some write up and retraining sessions for CSRs who are hostile towards customers. Once leadership changes, they can address that.
I don't call that often and when I do, I have a very humble and pleasant attitude. If I ever thought that I was going to get lectured it would be, "Thank you so much, but I need to go now and I will call back later. Again, thank you!"
End of story, until I call back and get someone else.

Again, I can't remember when I've had a problem, either before OR after the merger. Lazy, crude,and rude f/a's, now that's a different breed of horse!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by kettle1
The problem with the "new UA" is they still run as 2 airlines - 3-1/2 years after the merger. Run as a "TEAM". Cut the UA vs CO crap.

Both airlines had their + and -, but now you are one.

Get the Union crap out of the way, and I am NOT blaming employees at the "new UA". I blame management.

DL did it, and they are making record profits.

Hold a few pom-pom sessions and build morale. Do right for the customer and the employees. Just a thought from LAS on a Sat. night.
Respectfully, some of your opinions don't entirely sync with the reality of the situation:

1. The ground employees at United are combined, under one Union contract. Ditto for pilots and mechanics. Only the flight attendants remain under separate contracts at this point.

2. Prior to the merger, CO customer service employees were non-union, the UA people were union. The UA side won out, and put the CO people under a Union most of them did not want.

3. The Union contract for the combined group has made United ground employees the most expensive and least productive of the USA legacies, hence management's move to lessen headcount as much as possible, perhaps by outsourcing everyone except the protected stations and work-from-home res staff.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Originally Posted by hobo13
This thread is about call centers and the rudeness of the sCO CSR.
I thought it was about whether "CO people need to get off their high horses." That's the subject, after all.
Correct. And it's even titled Rant! So if some don't want to read it, don't click it!

Amazing to me how some are self appointed the thought police around here.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm not fan of the TPA home-based agents either. Many are very arrogant. I've been lectured by them myself.

Me too. Like this, "whatever you're asking for is not possible, but I'll make an exception this one time" . I am a sales exec so I knew to shut up once the sale was made, as in having gotten what I wanted, but I really had to bite my tongue!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Your best bet is just get to the airport early - say a flight or two earlier (like several hours). Then when you check in at the airport - they will know if there is weather that might delay the flight - and they will put you are an earlier flight so you make the international flight.

Airport agents have more power and are more aware of conditions than telephone agents to insure you make your flight. Telephone agents only see the same information you see on flight status and they don't have the flexibility - so don't blame the agent. The airport knows more.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LilAbner
If I ever thought that I was going to get lectured it would be, "Thank you so much, but I need to go now and I will call back later. Again, thank you!"
End of story, until I call back and get someone else.
But we shouldn't have to deal with this low-grade service, especially on the Elite lines.

UA should fix the problem.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
OP, it's within 24 hours of flight time. Were you able to get an earlier flight?

For those of you who aren't used to flying out of Denver, the OP has every reason to be wary of de-icing times at this station. With a city-run operation and three major carriers flying from DEN (United, Frontier, Southwest), de-icing can add a significant amount of time to a flight. even when operations are running smoothly. Given that the snow is supposed to get heavier as Sunday morning wears on, an earlier departure may be the best strategy.
I did take an earlier flight thru SDC. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by channa
But we shouldn't have to deal with this low-grade service, especially on the Elite lines.

UA should fix the problem.
That is the core issue. Last year I discussed lack of customer service with a high ranking executive who has since been pushed out and they feel that bad apples are few and far in between. They must have a different lense they are looking at this with.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by denuaflier
That is the core issue. Last year I discussed lack of customer service with a high ranking executive who has since been pushed out and they feel that bad apples are few and far in between. They must have a different lense they are looking at this with.
I'll bet that the managers who think the bad apples are few and far between are the kind of managers who sit behind their desks in HQ and never get out.

That said, he's probably right. The issue isn't that UA has so many "bad apples," it's that they don't do anything about them. I'm a believer in the idea that excellent leadership can change the climate in an organization. I've seen it happen throughout my career - situations where employees with bad attitudes can be positively motivated, if the requisite effort is made.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Respectfully, some of your opinions don't entirely sync with the reality of the situation:

1. The ground employees at United are combined, under one Union contract. Ditto for pilots and mechanics. Only the flight attendants remain under separate contracts at this point.

2. Prior to the merger, CO customer service employees were non-union, the UA people were union. The UA side won out, and put the CO people under a Union most of them did not want.

3. The Union contract for the combined group has made United ground employees the most expensive and least productive of the USA legacies, hence management's move to lessen headcount as much as possible, perhaps by outsourcing everyone except the protected stations and work-from-home res staff.
UA mechanics are not combined. Neither are flight dispatchers.The ground employee contract gave up decades of productivity robbing rules.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Originally Posted by Madone59
I thought this was going to be a thread about how FA's still welcome and encourage enrollment in One Pass.
Had one of those about a month ago, and then added MileagePlus to the spiel...

J
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kettle1
I do not want one single UA employee fired. It seems management wants it the other way. Let's see.
Where is UA firing employees? I've seen furloughs, layoffs and stations outsourced, but must have missed the discussion about firings.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denuaflier
I did take an earlier flight thru SDC. Thanks.
Looks like UA 490 arrived at IAH on time. Glad you made it work. Enjoy POS.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by tom911
Where is UA firing employees? I've seen furloughs, layoffs and stations outsourced, but must have missed the discussion about firings.

Call it what you want - furlough, layoff or stations outsourced. They are no longer receiving a paycheck from UA.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
I was recently in a nasty irrop situation out of IAD. Flight was cancelled after the FAs spotted a mouse on board. Since I was home I decided not to wait in line at the airport but to try to rebook via phone. First try found total incompetence. Agent put me on a return flight that left before I arrived. When I realized it I called back in the middle of the night and got a green eyeshades Texan type who greedily made sure not to give me anything I didn't deserve on the change in terms of Y fare class. OTOH when booking a trip using a cert I got from the mouse fiasco the website didn't want to accept I ended up with a perky, knowledgeable and helpful agent HNL who took care of me in no time. Yes they are lecturing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.