Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rant - CO people need to get off their high horses...Paging UA Insider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - CO people need to get off their high horses...Paging UA Insider

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Baze
What I would like to know is how did you know it was a Tampa based work from home agent? Are you leaving out part of the conversation? I never know where the people are when I call, unless they have a non American accent.

And I agree with one of the statements above, why exacerbate the situation when you already knew you weren't going to get what you wanted from that agent. Just say thank you, hang up and call again. You brought the lecture on yourself. Yes, the agent should not have gone into lecture mode, but if you had ended the call when you said it should have ben the end of the call you invited the extra 2 cents from the agent. Then you come here and rant about it.

If you had ended the call your post probably would have just been about them wanting to charge the change fee and fare difference and you would not have gotten much sympathy from people here as you were outside the SDC window and there was no weather waiver in effect.
I try to converse with people when they are looking up my record and that is when she mentioned that she was based in Tampa.

If I did not get a lecture, I would not have posted at all. I don't post that often.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I try to converse with people when they are looking up my record and that is when she mentioned that she was based in Tampa.
Or could have just listened for the dog barking in the background.....
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Or could have just listened for the dog barking in the background.....
You mean the dog in the backyard that is about to be eaten by the 'gator?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by goodeats21
It is also why I am not a fan of Work-From-Home setups. It is fairly obvious United has little-to-no control and oversight over their call center staff...and it seems worse when dealing with a WFH agent.
What are you talking about? Based on what I've heard from home based agents is that their calls are routinely monitored by supervisors and it's not like the superiors are pacing behind the call center agents listening in. I doubt, there is a significant difference in the supervision.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:28 am

So are the folks on here supposed to go along with the suggestion that AAron (UA INSIDER) gets involved re a rude TPA based agent. If so, we're gonna run out of a years supply of HIGH HORSE "Help Cards" in less than an hour.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LilAbner
So are the folks on here supposed to go along with the suggestion that AAron (UA INSIDER) gets involved re a rude TPA based agent. If so, we're gonna run out of a years supply of HIGH HORSE "Help Cards" in less than an hour.
Of course not, but it is troll food to even discuss it. Let it die its own natural death in the rank stench of a beaten horse...or lime-eating emotional comfort pony.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I am flying DEN - IAH - XXX Sunday. XXX is an international destination w one fight per day. I have 1:26 hours layover in IAH.
Is it really necessary to avoid telling us the destination? How many intl flights from IAH (sole flight of day) depart exactly 1:26 after a DEN arrival?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Is it really necessary to avoid telling us the destination? How many intl flights from IAH (sole flight of day) depart exactly 1:26 after a DEN arrival?
As far as I can tell, the only "sole flight of the day to an international destination" departing IAH exactly 1:26 after the scheduled arrival of a DEN flight is UA 1457 to POS, with a scheduled departure of 12:52 PM (UA 490 from DEN is scheduled to arrive at 11:26 AM.)

OP, did I get the word problem right?

Also, are you really that concerned that a snow "event" - in Denver, no less - on a Sunday morning, no less - will cause enough de-icing delay (in DEN!) to significantly erode a 1:26 layover in Houston to the point that you will miss your connection? I could understand your concern if snow were predicted for IAH, but DEN? The temps aren't supposed to go below freezing in Denver until Sunday night, so I doubt much of it will even stick.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:53 pm
Suspended

I had something like that a few months ago wanting to leave OGG a day early, and that same night. I was all of 12 mins before T-24 to my next days flight. She was gonna charge me the change fee and Is aid forget it I will keep what I have , she then went into if Id purchase a Y instead of a G there wouldnt have been any limitations.

Before I could answer her she says I just noticed you are all of 12 mins too early for a free change as a 1K, I wish I could simply do it for you now but since its T-24+ I cant the computer wont let me w/o charging the change fee. She starts asking me questions about Maui, and after awhile she says OK its done as its now past T-24

So unless UA put out a wavier theres not much any rep can do, but as others have said it would be best if they simply tell us how much it would cost now to make the change and leave it at that, rather then go on and on about buying full fare going forward

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 11, 2014 at 12:57 pm Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by kale73
As far as I can tell, the only "sole flight of the day to an international destination" departing IAH exactly 1:26 after the scheduled arrival of a DEN flight is UA 1457 to POS, with a scheduled departure of 12:52 PM (UA 490 from DEN is scheduled to arrive at 11:26 AM.)

OP, did I get the word problem right?

Also, are you really that concerned that a snow "event" - in Denver, no less - on a Sunday morning, no less - will cause enough de-icing delay (in DEN!) to significantly erode a 1:26 layover in Houston to the point that you will miss your connection? I could understand your concern if snow were predicted for IAH, but DEN? The temps aren't supposed to go below freezing in Denver until Sunday night, so I doubt much of it will even stick.
I am impressed

De-icing can take time in spring time as they are not geared for it like winter. But I hope you are right.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craz
I had something like that a few months ago wanting to leave OGG a day early, and that same night. I was all of 12 mins before T-24 to my next days flight. She was gonna charge me the change fee and Is aid forget it I will keep what I have , she then went into if Id purchase a Y instead of a G there wouldnt have been any limitations.

Before I could answer her she says I just noticed you are all of 12 mins too early for a free change as a 1K, I wish I could simply do it for you now but since its T-24+ I cant the computer wont let me w/o charging the change fee. She starts asking me questions about Maui, and after awhile she says OK its done as its now past T-24

So unless UA put out a wavier theres not much any rep can do, but as others have said it would be best if they simply tell us how much it would cost now to make the change and leave it at that, rather then go on and on about buying full fare going forward
Only bad and unempowered agents use the automated systems to do SDC. Good, empowered agents can make whatever changes they please, and just do the rule calculus in their heads. There's no fundamental system limitation.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kenn0223
What are you talking about? Based on what I've heard from home based agents is that their calls are routinely monitored by supervisors and it's not like the superiors are pacing behind the call center agents listening in. I doubt, there is a significant difference in the supervision.
I recall several FT posts about interactions with "supervisors" that indicated a lack of ability for UA to monitor or review phone conversations. This was in the context of trying to escalate issues when original agent interaction was lacking.

It is very possible that the information is incorrect. At the time I found it very hard to believe United would not have this basic capability. But as my personal interactions with the (fake) 1K line have varied tremendously in quality, it is almost believable.

Added: And in many call centers, it is absolutely routine to have supervisors roaming the floor listening to their agents and the interactions with customers. In a quality call center, that is exactly what is supposed to happen.

Last edited by goodeats21; Apr 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm Reason: added
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Isn't call center turnover typically up to 80 percent a year?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:34 pm

How do people know who they are talking to? Do people ask the agents what Call Center they are based out of?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this matters. OP chose to purchase a deeply discounted ticket which carries change restrictions. Now, he wants to make one and he wants it as a freebie. The agent would not do that for him. Good on the agent.

Yes, OP certainly can try to SDC, if there is space available when SDC becomes available. But, that is always true. If every time that someone called to make a change and was denied and then involved SDC and the agent agreed to waive the change fee, nobody in their right mind would pay for refundable/changeable tickets.

Why the lecture from the agent? Because OP went off on something having nothing to do with his call. If he wants to call back within the SDC time-frame and there are seats available, that's great for him. And, if there aren't and this becomes a trip in vain (I think that the trip in "vein" relates to DVT - Economy Class Syndrome !), so be it too.

There is nothing wrong with calling and asking for a favor, but when it is denied, you move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.