Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
It's not complicated at all. And you have proven that mainline service is better than RJs, too!
Not sure how that correlation is reached, at least in this regard. ROC-ORD earlier in the week - Shuttle America E-170 Same request...same result.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:38 pm
grt

"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Maybe Aaron's "this is subject to change" caveat came to fruition. On my flight from SFO to BOS yesterday, the FA's were very reluctant to give away cans (unless they were empty), ended up running out of some soft drinks, and tried to satisfy the cattle (i.e., us) with water. According to one FA, UA is loading fewer canned drinks now.

If this is true, where is the nose-dive going to end?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Flew LAX-EWR on Saturday, and the flight attendants went out of their way to offer a full can to each passenger when serving drinks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On my MEX-IAD flight last week, first drink service we got the entire can without asking. Second drink service, no can, just the drink.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
No More Cans on RJs?

Been told twice this week on various United Express flights that they aren't permitted to hand out the full can of soda. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 6, 2014 at 6:19 pm Reason: already an existing thread on this topic
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The monthly full can of soda posting

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...more-cans.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-y.html

which UX carrier?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I think this another cheapo move by United to save a few bucks. If they were truly innovative why not get the smaller cans of soda so that people still get a can but use more of it.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: Platinum
This thread reminded me of this Oatmeal comic:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/airplane_heard
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
ORD-LAS today full cans offered without even asking.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I almost never drink a whole can and prefer not to if it's a short enough flight I can get away with not using the bathroom on the plane. I like when they don't even give it to me because then I don't feel pressured to finish it so it's not wasted.

A few weeks ago I grabbed a piece of pizza in my trek across IAH for a flight to AMS. I didn't buy a drink because I knew I was about to get on the plane. It was also really hot in the airport, so I was a lot thirstier than usual. This is probably the only time in my life I've asked for the can and the FA was so visibly annoyed. I thought it was strange because the flight is pretty long, surely they have a lot of cans on board.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Been offered full cans on every UA and UA Express flight this year. (46.5 segments thus far) No complaints here on full cans.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat and MM
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Been offered full cans on every UA and UA Express flight this year. (46.5 segments thus far) No complaints here on full cans.
yesterday and Friday on a mainline flight - two G&T in E+ - other than the elsewhere noted "limeage issue", on the first flight was handed the mini and a plastic cup full of ice with a splash of Tonic. I asked for the can and while offered, was told that they "are not supposed to do that"
Second flight - same thing, but the FA handed me a second cup, without ice and half full with tonic water. Same answer - we are not supposed to hand out full cans anymore.

What gives, Aaron?
Paid (coupon or CC) drinks and you do not get the can?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by micmcguire
YMMV. I've just learned to alter my verbiage to ensure I get a full can regardless of if the FA was going to offer it without asking or not.

FA: "What can I get you to drink?"
Me: "May I have a can of ginger ale, please?"

Never been refused with phrasing it that way.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
DEN-MSN over the weekend on XJ didnt offer full cans and I was actively refused when I asked for one. I wanted a coke zero with no ice which normally gets me a full can but this FA was having none of that noise
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
YMMV. I've just learned to alter my verbiage to ensure I get a full can regardless of if the FA was going to offer it without asking or not.

FA: "What can I get you to drink?"
Me: "May I have a can of ginger ale, please?"

Never been refused with phrasing it that way.
I do the same -- I 've been politely refused at times, but at least it makes clear that I'd prefer a full can if they can swing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.