Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Well since you asked, the flight 2 weeks ago was sCO crew and the flight Saturday was sUA crew. Both were 757s.
But to Joe Schmo passenger it is all UA to them. That's what their ticket and BP and the plane say.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
I flew ORD-SFO-HNL-SFO-ORD this weekend. On the two legs between ORD and SFO I was in Y and in both, I did not get a can. I was upgraded on the SFO/HNL legs, and in one of those (SFO-HNL) I did get a full can (two, even!). I'm assuming that on the other leg (HNL-SFO) the FA would also have given me a full can, but I slept through almost the entire flight.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
According to a sUA FA, the new service standard is pour only, no cans unless you ask. If you add the magic words "...and can i have the can?", they are supposed to give it to you, and this is on both sUA and sCO.

Whether this is executed correctly is just as reliable as meal priority order in first/business class.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I'm guessing this is the rollout of Jeff's latest effort to reduce costs associated with customer service.

The initiative's new tagline is "No Can Do"
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I flew EWR-PDX-EWR last week. sUA crew.

Cans every time.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PTahCha
If you add the magic words "...and can i have the can?", they are supposed to give it to you, and this is on both sUA and sCO.
I think you should say: "… and may I have the can?" just to be on the safe side.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
FAs (both sCO and sUA) this past weekend when I traveled were just pouring and not giving out the cans. Despite providing great service overall, they also seemed very down on UA management when pax brought up various issues with them (delays in IAD, baggage space at IAD, seats on the refurb A320, the lack of cans being provided, etc.).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Haven't you heard? It's part of their no cans left behind program.™ They need to make sure that all cans are accounted for so they can maximize on recycling.
All empty cans are now being flown back to SFO for to claim California CRV. The SFO MOC will own this new revenue stream.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:53 pm

This pmCO vs pmUA thing is getting to be really tiring. I got a can on CO prior to the merger plenty of times.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
This pmCO vs pmUA thing is getting to be really tiring. I got a can on CO prior to the merger plenty of times.
One comment in the whole thread is getting really tiring?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Whole cans are wasteful. I usually drink less than half. When in F, I can a glass (which is what, 1/3 of a can?)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Well, there did seem to be a policy difference (or at least differing standards) after all
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Did they highlight this as part of the $2B cost savings initiative at investor day?

A full can of coke is one of the remaining perks/things that makes you feel like a human being on a flight. They take away meals, they charge for luggage, they treat you worse than cattle in a cattle drive, they don't give out peanuts, they only give you 1/2 cashews when you fly in premium intl cabins...FOR LOVE OF GOD, GIVE ME THE CAN!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by unavaca
All empty cans are now being flown back to SFO for to claim California CRV. The SFO MOC will own this new revenue stream.
I was gonan say to MI where its 10 cents per can (good ole Seinfield episode with Kramer and Newman working out how it will be profitable driving from NYC)

I can see 2014 FA: would you like something to drink, Me; yes a can of coke please, sir its $1 for 1/2 a cup of soda or $2.50 for a full cup.OK I will take 2 1/2 cups OK,Sir that will be $3 , $3 shouldnt it be $2 no sir 1 1/2 cup is $1 but 2 are $3
Leave it to Jeff
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:53 pm

On my two flights last week and one flight so far this week between IAH and IAD, I was offered a whole can without asking for it. In fact, I thought it was a new policy to offer cans when not requested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.