Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres

So flew a bunch this weekend. Found it odd no cans to give to us on the first leg, asked and they said they were told no more cans to cut back on costs.
I thought thats a bunch of BS and they were low.

so 2nd, 3rd and 4th legs all came, combo on Mainline and regional and was told the same thing each leg.

Is this the new truth? are we on the way to Useless land?

Last edited by dcsnowwake; Nov 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA MM
They were pouring from two liter bottles or something? Or they just wouldn't give you a can?

In the old TED days you used to have to ask for two glasses, which they were happy to give you, poured from the same (or different) cans.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
So flew a bunch this weekend. Found it odd no cans on the first leg, asked and they said they were told no more cans to cut back on costs.
I thought thats a bunch of BS and they were low.

so 2nd, 3rd and 4th legs all came, combo on Mainline and regional and was told the same thing each leg.

Is this the new truth? are we on the way to Useless land?
Soda? Or slang use of the term for a bathroom? If soda won't give you the can or soda is now coming in pouches for them to serve from or a rolling soda fountain?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
They were pouring from two liter bottles or something? Or they just wouldn't give you a can?

In the old TED days you used to have to ask for two glasses, which they were happy to give you, poured from the same (or different) cans.
Sorry, correction, they wouldnt give us the cans. and yes I asked for 2 cups then each time. I dreaded the ROAR! days. Please dont go back!!!!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Haven't you heard? It's part of their no cans left behind program.™ They need to make sure that all cans are accounted for so they can maximize on recycling.

So what are they doing now? Limiting to one cup? Pouring half/quarter way? If you kindly ask for another cup, are they going to say "sorry, one cup maximum per person?"
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Haven't you heard? It's part of their no cans left behind program.™ They need to make sure that all cans are accounted for so they can maximize on recycling.

So what are they doing now? Limiting to one cup? Pouring half/quarter way? If you kindly ask for another cup, are they going to say "sorry, one cup maximum per person?"
Probably something that is coming soon... .

I've heard the "no can" thing before although on a relatively empty flight this weekend, a nice FA I was talking to gave me a full can.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler

they sighed when I asked for another cup. most pours are to top.

Any other experiences out there?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
So far in the last week I've flown 14 segments on UA and was provided the full can on all the longer flights that my upgrade didn't clear without having to ask. A couple of times they asked if I wanted the whole can but otherwise it wasn't a problem.

As a side point, one of my flights went mx yesterday in LAX that would cause a miss connect so UA happily rebooked me on DL LAX-ATL-FLL. Being in E- on DL we didn't get the whole can on either segment. The cups appeared to be bigger though. Not sure if they were just taller and narrower with the same volume, or if they actually were larger. We did get pretzels, peanuts and milano cookies though!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
they sighed when I asked for another cup. most pours are to top.

Any other experiences out there?
Straight PMCO style it seems like.

I was surprised when (in Y) on Sunday I asked for a Sapphire and ginger ale, and they gave me only cup of the ginger ale. Always got the can w/PMUA...then I remembered I was on a 737.
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Two weeks ago I asked repeatedly for a can and was ignored and handed a cup without comment, by one FA, the other gave me the can.

Saturday I asked for a can and received it each time.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Two weeks ago I asked repeatedly for a can and was ignored and handed a cup without comment, by one FA, the other gave me the can.

Saturday I asked for a can and received it each time.
Ah, I see UA's consistently inconsistent mantra is alive and well.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Straight PMCO style it seems like.

except it was A320 both mainlines, and on UA Regs I used to always get a can, esp since I took the same flight a week before and a month before and always got cans.

All UA DEN/ORD FA's they seemed pissed about the change. terrible service and on multiple legs talked to the FA's and they pretty much say why care anymore, with what they were told, it will no longer be the same customers, its all about bottom line, not customer service.

Which is funny as the preflight video was the customer service one haha
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
What happens to half-empty cans at the end? Party in the galley?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
1/2 empty cans are returned to the factory, added to another 1/2 empty can and returned to UA.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Ah, I see UA's consistently inconsistent mantra is alive and well.
Well since you asked, the flight 2 weeks ago was sCO crew and the flight Saturday was sUA crew. Both were 757s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.