Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ExpressJet.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by uaflr
I just recently flew 4 flights on United and I got a full can - maybe being in first class helped!
When we flew EWR-LHR in J a few years ago, I had a flight attendent who only gave me a glass, but kept it full. After filling my glass up about 4 or 5 times (I am a big soda drinker), she decided (without being asked), to make life easy for herself and gave me a can and a full glass of ice. We got talking and she said that they aren't supposed to give full cans, becasue it represented less than superior service. I assumed that this was the case becasue I was in a forward cabin.

Aside from many of us having different experiences with asking and receiving, I agree with what others stated that in the grand scheme of things, denying a passenger a full can when requested is extrememly penny wise and dollar foolish. Come on United, a can of soda costs $0.35. Do you really want to scare your revenue away? If you rasie the cost of my ticket by $1.00, chances are I won't even notice.

On the other side of the coin, I do support either asking if a cup is enough, to avoid waste, since there are many people who will not finish a whole can, but would not say anything unless asked.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
When we flew EWR-LHR in J a few years ago, I had a flight attendent who only gave me a glass, but kept it full. After filling my glass up about 4 or 5 times (I am a big soda drinker), she decided (without being asked), to make life easy for herself and gave me a can and a full glass of ice. We got talking and she said that they aren't supposed to give full cans, becasue it represented less than superior service. I assumed that this was the case becasue I was in a forward cabin.
that has been and continues to be SOP for premium cabins -- domestic & international.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Above post is from Nov 21, 2013. Perhaps it is time to officially state, has this changed?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by controller1
Above post is from Nov 21, 2013. Perhaps it is time to officially state, has this changed?
And perhaps clarify if it also applies to United Express operations....

UAX is always where am told "no can for you". Never had a problem on United mainline flights.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
YMMV. I've just learned to alter my verbiage to ensure I get a full can regardless of if the FA was going to offer it without asking or not.

FA: "What can I get you to drink?"
Me: "May I have a can of ginger ale, please?"

Never been refused with phrasing it that way.
So far I've gotten full cans, but will use that phrasing in the future.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.