Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
they sighed when I asked for another cup. most pours are to top.

Any other experiences out there?
Flew from PVG to LAX yesterday (11/18) in E+. No problem getting a full can.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
This pmCO vs pmUA thing is getting to be really tiring. I got a can on CO prior to the merger plenty of times.
When you are trying to determine a pattern, you need to determine all variables.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Nowhere near a full flight, I got the full can over the weekend. Full flight, got poured a cup. FAs were coming around with refills often enough it seemed like.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
This pmCO vs pmUA thing is getting to be really tiring. I got a can on CO prior to the merger plenty of times.
You got a can on CO prior to the merger plenty of time doesn't mean it is the CO policy. The sCO policy was cup no matter what, but every single flight on sCO I had observed the drink cart will go backwards from back to front after it rolled from front to back and FA will ask if anyone want refills. And even if the sCO FA give you a can, it would be opened, unlike sUA FA just give you a can without opening for faster service.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Originally Posted by unavaca
All empty cans are now being flown back to SFO for to claim California CRV. The SFO MOC will own this new revenue stream.
Isn't it technically illegal to do that if the can itself was purchased outside of CA (with no substitutions, even for identical cans)? If that's truly the case, that's an interesting one since they'd have to send their California cans back for recycling legally.

I did consider keeping every single one of my CA purchsed bottles in AZ to return them whenever I went back to CA (long story short, I bought 2 bottles of some exotic Stone beer and they charged me the CRV, but I was taking the bottles to AZ, and I was furious about those 70 cents or whatever it was -they were large bottles), but it wasn't even worth driving to the CRV place to claim my money. I'm sure that's how they make money, because I'm sure it can be uneconomical to go claim it, even if it's just a few miles detour.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: 1K, UA 2 MM
I got cans on SIN to HKG, HKG to SFO and SFO to SEA today.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
Isn't it technically illegal to do that if the can itself was purchased outside of CA (with no substitutions, even for identical cans)? If that's truly the case, that's an interesting one since they'd have to send their California cans back for recycling legally.

I did consider keeping every single one of my CA purchsed bottles in AZ to return them whenever I went back to CA (long story short, I bought 2 bottles of some exotic Stone beer and they charged me the CRV, but I was taking the bottles to AZ, and I was furious about those 70 cents or whatever it was -they were large bottles), but it wasn't even worth driving to the CRV place to claim my money. I'm sure that's how they make money, because I'm sure it can be uneconomical to go claim it, even if it's just a few miles detour.
Pretty sure that was a sarcastic remark!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
PmUa always gave cans...Continental was cheap and I always had to ask for one and they usually did not smile when I did.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
Pretty sure that was a sarcastic remark!
I am well aware of that and of how uneconomical it would be in the first place (that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually tried it). But my response is a legitimate question.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
According to a sUA FA, the new service standard is pour only, no cans unless you ask. If you add the magic words "...and can i have the can?", they are supposed to give it to you, and this is on both sUA and sCO.

Whether this is executed correctly is just as reliable as meal priority order in first/business class.
Yup. FA last week said this is the new policy. If you want the can, you have to ask for it (and they are supposed to give it to you without any hesitation). The FA handled it well...she would say, "can I get you something to drink"...and then when she gave you the glass, she would follow it up with, "is that going to be o.k. for you?" At that point, you either acknowledged that you were fine, or, asked for the can.

I'm fine with this. Not everyone wants/needs the whole can. As long as I get the can without any drama, I don't mind that the default is glass only.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGlobal

I'm fine with this. Not everyone wants/needs the whole can. As long as I get the can without any drama, I don't mind that the default is glass only.
Definitely. Last time I flew (last month) I was asked if I wanted the whole can. I guess the new way of doing things is that you have to know that you can ask for the can to get it. On that flight I said I was good with the ration since I wasn't too thirsty, and it's not the first time it happens (a lot of times it happens with seconds on long flights, I'm good with the cup or sometimes just water).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:28 pm

I was on a iad lax flight yesterday and someone remarked wow you have drink service quite frequently. every hour?

the flight attendant said something about needing to keep passengers hydrated and that's why drink service was so frequent.

usually I decline after the first round. too much calories and needing to pee = no thanks. yah im trying to be small belly traveler next year lol.

yah it seems like a scroogy way to save a lil money but a lot of drinks go to waste if you drink half a can and throw away the rest or just pack on extra calories by finishing the can so its empty.

I think its a good initiative. except for the fact that they pack it with ice and its barely a sip of drink. ask for no ice and its all good
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
I was gonan say to MI where its 10 cents per can (good ole Seinfield episode with Kramer and Newman working out how it will be profitable driving from NYC)

I can see 2014 FA: would you like something to drink, Me; yes a can of coke please, sir its $1 for 1/2 a cup of soda or $2.50 for a full cup.OK I will take 2 1/2 cups OK,Sir that will be $3 , $3 shouldnt it be $2 no sir 1 1/2 cup is $1 but 2 are $3
Leave it to Jeff
I know you're joking, but the last time I flew on SAS from FRA to CPH I asked for a coke, was given the can then asked for €3.00. As I recall this was for the miniature can about 7 oz.

Be careful you don't give the HouCrew who transplanted to Chicago any ideas....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by craz
I can see 2014 FA: would you like something to drink, Me; yes a can of coke please, sir its $1 for 1/2 a cup of soda or $2.50 for a full cup.OK I will take 2 1/2 cups OK,Sir that will be $3 , $3 shouldnt it be $2 no sir 1 1/2 cup is $1 but 2 are $3
Leave it to Jeff
Originally Posted by danville 1K
I know you're joking, but the last time I flew on SAS from FRA to CPH I asked for a coke, was given the can then asked for €3.00. As I recall this was for the miniature can about 7 oz.

Be careful you don't give the HouCrew who transplanted to Chicago any ideas....
I believe US already tried this and didn't work. Frontier is rolling out the same strategy under their transformation plan.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by JDS747
So far in the last week I've flown 14 segments on UA and was provided the full can on all the longer flights that my upgrade didn't clear without having to ask. A couple of times they asked if I wanted the whole can but otherwise it wasn't a problem.

As a side point, one of my flights went mx yesterday in LAX that would cause a miss connect so UA happily rebooked me on DL LAX-ATL-FLL. Being in E- on DL we didn't get the whole can on either segment. The cups appeared to be bigger though. Not sure if they were just taller and narrower with the same volume, or if they actually were larger. We did get pretzels, peanuts and milano cookies though!
Well that's the problem. On the last 4 flights when my upgrades did clear, I didn't get the full can. (Once I asked for the full can after I didn't get it and I was obliged.) Are things better in Y than in C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.