Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I called them during the day but the agent would not do it beyond the 'purchase date' year deadline.

I gues HUACA now.

Any ideas how I can reach the RTW or HNL desk? For the people who got it PUSHED beyond the ONE YEAR limit done via AGENTS can you share WHEN you called and WHICH 'region' or 'country' agents you got?

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I recently extended an *A F award that I had booked in late-January 2014 to a flight date in mid-February 2015 (beyond 1yr from original date of issue). I completed the change online, no additional miles were collected, and I received an eTicket showing both a new ticket number and new issue date (October 2014).

Should I have any cause for concern that this ticket will be subsequently cancelled or that additional miles will be pulled?

-FlyerBeek
How and where can I do this online? The itinerary does not show up on my MP account. Is this because I had put it on hold?

Originally Posted by Wembleygal
I just had a lovely experience changing an award ticket today. Although the process took about 45 minutes (long distance from London), the agent could not have been more helpful. In fact, she waived all change fees and taxes on the change.

I changed my partner’s ticket a few days ago (although that one took over an hour), and the agent also waived all fees.
Did you call London agents? Which numbers/ country/ region did you call and what time?

Originally Posted by bseller
FALSE. True for revenue tix, completely, utterly false for award tix.

Hopefully anyone planning to "extend the life" of their award tix will pay attention.

Dave
Originally Posted by 1k650
I agree. A wiki will be very useful.
The SIN call center did it in spite of the note in your record ? What number did you call ? I need to call them instead of the 1k line - the 1k agents are often the most difficult and unhelpful.

Dave - will you clarify please ? What is the best way to extend the life of a award tix ?

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Has anyone been able to rebook either online or via the phone a ticket past the 1 year original ticketing date?
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have online & there are other reports as well.
Originally Posted by Robert
Was just successful in getting a date and routing change to a pre-devaluation one-way award. Change was:

October 2014
IAD-NRT (NH F)
NRT-SIN (NH J)
SIN-MLE (SQ J)

--to--

July 2015
JFK-ICN (OZ F)
ICN-SIN (OZ J)
SIN-MLE (SQ J)

Change took about 20 minutes as the SQ segment had to be manually priced to calculate the taxes, but ticket was re-issued for the same 80,000 miles and $20 in additional taxes. Very helpful and friendly agent, so I am quite pleased with the entire process. ^

As an aside, the IAD-NRT NH F segment I had on October 5th went back into "O" inventory if anyone is looking for award space on that date.
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Interesting data point since you are way outside the 1 year validity period.
1. My original Return RT itinerary does not show up ONLINE, Is there anyway to have the agents put it back online in my MP account/ visible on system? So that I can try the ONLINE way

...to push it only FEW DAYS past the original issue date.

2. How do I get a hold of the HNL desk after 10pm CST as was suggested by MattLAX?

3. The agent I spoke was initially okay and then after some discussions somewhere came back to me with the 1 year limit issue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm Reason: merging consectutive posts by same member
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I found a way to add/ find it on website. It shows 2 options:

1. CHANGE FLIGHTS > Fails
2. REFUND/ REDPOSIT > Shows the following:

Award Ticket Refund/Redeposit

Flight(s):
Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles) to Istanbul, Turkey (IST) on Wed., Feb. 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey (IST) to Mumbai (Bombay), India (BOM) on Thu., Feb. 13, 2014

Wed., Feb. 12, 2014 | Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles) to Mumbai (Bombay), India (BOM)
Depart:
12:00 a.m.
Wed., Feb. 12, 2014
Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Arrive:
Thu., Feb. 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
Flight Time:
17 hr 0 mn
Flight: TK8
Operated by Turkish Airlines.
Aircraft: Airbus A330
Fare Class: Economy (X)
Meal: None
Change Planes. Connect time in Istanbul, Turkey (IST) is .
Depart:
Thu., Feb. 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey (IST)
Arrive:
Fri., Feb. 14, 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India (BOM)
Flight Time:
20 hr 30 mn
Flight: TK720
Operated by Turkish Airlines.
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Fare Class: Economy (X)
Meal: None
Reservation Value
Mileage & Price Details

1 Award 100,000 miles
Additional taxes/fees $77.77
Total price: 100,000 Miles and $77.77
Payment Information

Name of Cardholder: FIRST MID LAST
Card Type: Visa
Cancel trip and redeposit miles

Refund miles to MileagePlus account and taxes/fees to original form of payment

A redeposit fee of $200.00 per traveler may apply.
Can the option 2 be done? Any way to make option 1 happen online?

Will the miles be redeposited from this screen? Or is that something wrong?

Last edited by xmlsoa; Nov 1, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Those of you having trouble I recommend changing things in blocks and keeping it simple at each step.

What I mean by that is when changing online you can't try anything complex and you have to just keep trying combinations until the computer prices something that you kind of like. As it is right now, the system will allow you to make changes multiple times.

For example - if your goal is to go US - ICN - BKK - ICN - US but it won't let you do that whole block, try just changing it to US - ICN - US first. Once that tickets, use the "add a flight" feature and add a flight to the 2nd leg of the trip that goes ICN - BKK, BKK - US.

I had success in doing this to completely re-work a trip that was booked pre-deval for late spring 2015 at the old prices - the only new charges were taxes and new miles (at the old rate) as I added a region
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I have yet to have any success changing complicated award itineraries online. I have had to enlist the help of an agent for every change thus far. YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
For what it's worth... another positive datapoint for changing J to F.

Original award was Central Asia to USA in J: KTM - BKK (TG J) - ICN (TG J) - SFO (OZ J) - ABQ (UA Y).

Changed to F award: changed ICN-SFO to ICN-LAX in OZ F.

Took 5 minutes on the phone with a GS agent (benefits of calling at 1am?). No questions, no issues, no drama. 20K extra miles per person (Central Asia to USA used to be 60K in J, 80K in F).

If only there was a way to get TG F on this award. Sigh.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by abaheti
CALL. Try web support which is friendlier and more efficient IME.
Thanks for the tip, it took multiple calls but ticket has finally been reissued at old rates.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Peregrinus
Thanks for the tip, it took multiple calls but ticket has finally been reissued at old rates.
^ Good.

There is no HNL number, you just have to call late and hope to get them.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Posted this in another thread by accident:

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have to wonder if tickets that were reissued via different methods with flights past a year of issuance date will still be valid when one arrives at the airport.
My problem is that I reissued a ticket online past the validity date of the original and it worked fine. Now all of the sudden a couple of domestic segments are gone. There is space on the flights I need but I am worried that if I call they'll cancel the ticket or if I leave it alone, the ticket will not be valid if I get to the airport in July of 2015.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Question

Hoping I can get some advice from those of you that were in similar situations.

Here's what I booked pre-devaluation (departing in T-15):
AUS-ORD-FRA (UA F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)

BKK-CDG (TG F)
(stopover in Paris for a few days)
CDG-FRA-EWR-AUS in LH I (CDG-FRA) and UA F

Here's what I want:
AUS-IAH-FRA (LH F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)
BKK-CDG (TG F)
CDG-FRA-IAH-AUS in LH F

My regions are staying the same, so any idea if this would be legal and not trigger a re-price?

IAH-FRA availability looks grim (F4 or F5 as of today and it's T-15), so this may all be for naught.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jcazes
Hoping I can get some advice from those of you that were in similar situations.

Here's what I booked pre-devaluation (departing in T-15):
AUS-ORD-FRA (UA F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)

BKK-CDG (TG F)
CDG-FRA-EWR-AUS in LH I (CDG-FRA) and UA F

Here's what I want:
AUS-IAH-FRA (LH F)
FRA-BKK (TG F)
BKK-CDG (TG F)
CDG-FRA-IAH-AUS in LH F

My regions are staying the same, so any idea if this would be legal and not trigger a re-price?

IAH-FRA availability looks grim (F4 or F5 as of today and it's T-15), so this may all be for naught.
If you can make changes online then it will not trigger a new mileage rate. If not just call in, a good agent will help you out.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by IamHungry
If you can make changes online then it will not trigger a new mileage rate. If not just call in, a good agent will help you out.
Cool, thanks for confirming! What's the best way to monitor for LH availability these days now that ExpertFlyer doesn't show inventory?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Cool, thanks for confirming! What's the best way to monitor for LH availability these days now that ExpertFlyer doesn't show inventory?
.bomb will show you LH as will ANA tool.

Also to be clear you can change regions if .bomb will price it. I changed US-Tokyo to US - China - Australia - US via ICN and I was only charged the old mileage difference cost (aka the difference to 160k)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good luck finding FRA-IAH in LH F in either direction. That is almost never available. There's no harm in hoping, but suggest you also consider a more realistic routing for LH F (such as DEN, ORD, or IAD).

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good luck finding FRA-IAH in LH F in either direction. That is almost never available. There's no harm in hoping, but suggest you also consider a more realistic routing for LH F (such as DEN, ORD, or IAD).
Ouch, good to know! So it sounds like people just randomly check .bomb and ANA a couple of times a day each day T-15?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ouch, good to know! So it sounds like people just randomly check .bomb and ANA a couple of times a day each day T-15?
I think many of us would say we check "obsessively" beginning at T-15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.