FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1549068-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-3-feb-2014-a.html)

Pat89339 Feb 5, 2014 5:28 pm

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

I thought it would be helpful for other FTers if we can provide examples of successful changes to *A awards booked before devaluation without incurring additional miles under the new award chart.

Without any official word and confused by all the assumptions made in the other thread, I was under the impression that changes in routing would trigger the new award chart. Apparently not.

Today I was successful in changing the following:

Original Routing: FRA-YVR-SFO
Original Carrier/Class: LH/F, UA/F

New Routing: FRA-MUC*-SFO
Carrier/Class: LH/I (intra-Europe), LH/F

Rubber duckies here I come!

mtkeller Feb 5, 2014 5:34 pm

Whoa. So that involved a carrier change, too? Presumably YVR-SFO was UA/AC before and they're now not on the ticket at all. How much hassle? I was just shot down on rerouting IAD-ORD-NRT-SIN to IAD-NRT-SIN with NRT-SIN on UA in both and the TPAC sector on NH for both.

mherdeg Feb 5, 2014 5:39 pm

Here are two other examples buried in that thread:

Originally Posted by NLflyer26 (Post 22291027)
Adding my data point...

My partner and I were booked SAT-IAH-LOS-JNB-CPT in J, except LOS-JNB was in Y. I called up today and rebooked SAT-IAH-IAD-JNB-CPT for the same departure date, all J. The rep initially asked for 60,000 additional miles for both of us, I pushed back and he consulted with a supervisor. Something like an hour later, I pay the change fee (no status) and slight difference in taxes. No extra miles!

FWIW, I knew exactly which flights I wanted, that they had two seats, and that I (maybe) should not be charged additional miles. I have no idea how a less informed traveler is supposed to navigate this system.

Originally Posted by dinosims (Post 22285465)
Was just able to price out the following change online:

SEA-NRT (NH I)
HND-BKK (NH X)
BKK-SYD (TG O)

to

SEA-NRT (NH I)
HND-BKK (NH I) - different flight, same date
BKK-SYD (TG O) - different flight, same date

There was no change in the amount of miles required, only charging me the change fee (and surprisingly since I wasn't changing cities, a refund of some taxes).

I have a proprietary interest in this because I have an upcoming itinerary BOS-FRA-BKK-HKG (LH J, LH F, TG F) and will be trying to move the LH J portion to LH F. There should be no change in the taxes except for foreign exchange, but later in the trip there is a SQ J segment and I'm hoping that won't cause huge problems with the pricing record.

gokeeper Feb 5, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks for sharing with us, can you give us more detail? Like original carrier/cabin, new carrier/cabin.

gokeeper Feb 5, 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 22294478)
Here are two other examples buried in that thread:
I have a proprietary interest in this because I have an upcoming itinerary BOS-FRA-BKK-HKG (LH J, LH F, TG F) and will be trying to move the LH J portion to LH F. There should be no change in the taxes except for foreign exchange, but later in the trip there is a SQ J segment and I'm hoping that won't cause huge problems with the pricing record.

I have BKK-FRA-LHR-YYZ (TG F, LH I, AC I) booked in Nov, would be great if I can change to BKK-FRA-YYZ (TG F, LH F) at T-14 days, looks like is possible?

lakid Feb 5, 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22294436)
Without any official word and confused by all the assumptions made in the other thread, I was under the impression that changes in routing would trigger the new award chart. Apparently not.

Today I was successful in changing the following:

Carrier/Class: LH/F
Original Routing: FRA-YVR-SFO
New Routing: FRA-MUC*-SFO

*FRA-MUC is in business, of course

Was this done online change flight button or by phone?

lazard Feb 5, 2014 6:28 pm

I too am curious about people's success with changes. I have an itinerary next January of
HKG-BKK in TG I
BKK-FRA in TG O
FRA-LIS in LH I
LIS-EWR in TAP I

Am hoping to be able to change the FRA-LIS-EWR segments to a direct FRA-JFK on LH F at T-10 without incurring an additional miles fee.

5khours Feb 5, 2014 6:36 pm

Excellent idea for this thread. I think it will be very helpful. My data points so far.

US>JPN OW non-stop in F on NH. Successfully changed date and flight but on the same route.

HKG>BKK>HND RT in C/F on TG. Successfully changed date (nothing else) on the outbound.

In both cases, agent at first said it would require more miles. I politely asked the agents to double check and both came back and said they could do it with no extra miles. Took about 20 minutes both times.

Kacee Feb 5, 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 22294723)
Excellent idea for this thread. I think it will be very helpful. My data points so far.

US>JPN OW non-stop in F on NH. Successfully changed date and flight but on the same route.

HKG>BKK>HND RT in C/F on TG. Successfully changed date (nothing else) on the outbound.

In both cases, agent at first said it would require more miles. I politely asked the agents to double check and both came back and said they could do it with no extra miles. Took about 20 minutes both times.

Thanks for the data point.

Great idea for this thread. I really hope it will be limited to actual reports of what happened when efforts were made to change an itinerary, as opposed to yet more of these endless questions about what might happen if someone tries to change xyz itinerary.

Pat89339 Feb 5, 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 22294457)
Whoa. So that involved a carrier change, too? Presumably YVR-SFO was UA/AC before and they're now not on the ticket at all. How much hassle? I was just shot down on rerouting IAD-ORD-NRT-SIN to IAD-NRT-SIN with NRT-SIN on UA in both and the TPAC sector on NH for both.

Yes. YVR-SFO was on UA.

No hassle at all. I called and said I needed some assistance because I don't understand the new rules. I told the agent that I see space on the MUC-SFO flight and rather than fly FRA-YVR-SFO would it be possible to fly FRA-MUC-SFO without incurring additional miles. She said she thought it would be possible but wanted to confirm that she should change it only if there was no additional mile requirement. It took 17 minutes on hold and it was confirmed and emails received for both of us on two separate PNRs

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 22294482)
Thanks for sharing with us, can you give us more detail? Like original carrier/cabin, new carrier/cabin.

Updated the first post but:

Original routing: LH F FRA-YVR connecting to UA F YVR-SFO
New routing: LH I FRA-MUC connecting to LH F MUC-SFO

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 22294528)
I have BKK-FRA-LHR-YYZ (TG F, LH I, AC I) booked in Nov, would be great if I can change to BKK-FRA-YYZ (TG F, LH F) at T-14 days, looks like is possible?

It does look similar to what I did, but did they charge you full F miles all the way?

Originally Posted by lakid (Post 22294593)
Was this done online change flight button or by phone?

I called.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22294842)
Great idea for this thread. I really hope it will be limited to actual reports of what happened when efforts were made to change an itinerary, as opposed to yet more of these endless questions about what might happen if someone tries to change xyz itinerary.

Yes. The intent is to show successful changes. By example others can see what is possible. Please feel free to post your successful changes to itineraries booked prior to February 3 and changed after February 3.

gokeeper Feb 5, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 22295167)
It does look similar to what I did, but did they charge you full F miles all the way?

Yes, it's a North America to Asia RT trip in F, I already paid F miles, so IMO this could work...any way let's wait until November...:D

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22294842)
Thanks for the data point.

IMO we should set up a wiki to gather all successful changes instead of shut people's mouth.

Pat89339 Feb 5, 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 22295234)
IMO we should set up a wiki to gather all successful changes instead of shut people's mouth.

Great idea! Have at it! I'm still too jet lagged to wrap my brain around it right now. :D:D

BigBossman Feb 5, 2014 8:42 pm

My Two Successful Changes

With a saver first award from WAS to BKK booked before 1 FEB, I was able to change the following flights for the same dates:

IAD-UA Y>YUL-LH f > MUC to IAD-LH F> FRA-LH C > MUC

and

FCO-LH C > FRA-UA F to FCO-LH C > FRA-LH F > IAD

There was no mileage change required, though there were some issues with recalculating the taxes, but the agent worked it all out and knew the new rules.

gokeeper Feb 5, 2014 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigBossman (Post 22295353)
With a saver first award from WAS to BKK booked before 1 FEB, I was able to change the following flights for the same dates:

IAD-UA Y>YUL-LH f > MUC to IAD-LH F> FRA-LH C > MUC

and

FCO-LH C > FRA-UA F to FCO-LH C > FRA-LH F > IAD

There was no mileage change required, though there were some issues with recalculating the taxes, but the agent worked it all out and knew the new rules.

Thanks for sharing, seems like we can change anything (carrier/cabin/route) as long as the original and destination zone remain same, excellent news!

BigBossman Feb 5, 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 22295433)
Thanks for sharing, seems like we can change anything (carrier/cabin/route) as long as the original and destination zone remain same, excellent news!

It was always an F award, so I believe you can only change to the same or a lower cabin and not to a higher cabin in order to not trigger a re-price

I was holding my breath the change would go through, but the 1K agent was great!