Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by 1k650
So is the consensus that there is no way to extend the validity beyond 1 year from the original issue date ?
Originally Posted by bseller
There is ZERO chance of extending an award ticket beyond 1yr from date of issue. Period. EOS.
Sadly.
I recently extended an *A F award that I had booked in late-January 2014 to a flight date in mid-February 2015 (beyond 1yr from original date of issue). I completed the change online, no additional miles were collected, and I received an eTicket showing both a new ticket number and new issue date (October 2014).

Should I have any cause for concern that this ticket will be subsequently cancelled or that additional miles will be pulled?

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I recently extended an *A F award that I had booked in late-January 2014 to a flight date in mid-February 2015 (beyond 1yr from original date of issue). I completed the change online, no additional miles were collected, and I received an eTicket showing both a new ticket number and new issue date (October 2014).

Should I have any cause for concern that this ticket will be subsequently cancelled or that additional miles will be pulled?

-FlyerBeek
nope. Ticket issued = done deal.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
I had a 35k one-way flight SIN-BKK in TG J which, in June, I changed to a 140k one-way award BOS-FRA-BKK-KIX-HKG (LH F+LH F+TG F+TG F) and eventually cancelled.

I was able to use the online change button to get united.com to price this trip out as a 280k round trip BOS-FRA-BKK // HKG-MUC-BOS (LH F+TG F+LH J+LH F), but after I was quoted the fare difference in miles + dollars, and hit 'accept and pay', United's Web site gave an error screen. This left the reservation in a weird state where it said it was ticketed and confirmed, the pricing record quoted the price at 35k, but in fact the ticket and the trip did not match at all (they did not reissue the old ticket bos-fra-bkk-kix-hkg which remained open for use).

I called to see if a phone agent would be willing to reissue the ticket and honor the price quote united.com had offered (280k for the r/t). No dice. I don't really have time to get to America and take another LH F trip from America anyway before Jan 2015, so I ended up just cancelling and refunding the trip. Hopefully the 140k miles come back…!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just had a lovely experience changing an award ticket today. Although the process took about 45 minutes (long distance from London), the agent could not have been more helpful. In fact, she waived all change fees and taxes on the change.

I changed my partner’s ticket a few days ago (although that one took over an hour), and the agent also waived all fees.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by cfischer
which regions are your XX etc. in? This makes a difference. In my experience you ca change origin and destination and pre-deval tickets but they are AFAIK supposed to be within the same zone.
itinerary is SIN-LPQ-HKG,HKG-SIN (all with TG via BKK), which i'd like to turn into HKG-SIN, SIN-LPQ-HKG.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by a9504477
itinerary is SIN-LPQ-HKG,HKG-SIN (all with TG via BKK), which i'd like to turn into HKG-SIN, SIN-LPQ-HKG.
Should be fine - I did the same thing without issue. It's basically a date change on SIN-LPQ-HKG.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I booked award EWR-CDG on Feb. 25 in Saver Economy at a cost of 60,000 miles per person RT, or 30,000 miles each way.

Yesterday, I called to waitlist the return flight in Business using Plan B. I expected to be charged the post Feb 3 cost of 57,500 miles for the Business return, an additional 27,500 miles over the 30,000 economy cost. When I looked at my account, I see that they charged me a total of 80,000 miles and credited the original 60,000 for a net addition of 20,000 miles, the pre-Feb 3 cost. Did I just luck out, or was there a reason for this?

10/7/2014 Combined Rewards YC52||YB52 (80,000)
2/25/2014 Award Redeposit 60,000
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Ok here's the issue:

Snagged what appears to be a golden goose of *A Awards pre-deval...non-stop JFK-JNB in business on SAA.

While planning the details of the trip now, we are starting in CPT and need to get there straight away when we arrive, so ideally our flight should have been JFK-JNB-CPT.

Searching JFK-JNB, or JFK-(JNB)-CPT for awards yields nothing in Business.

Searching JNB-CPT for awards there is wide open Business availability (for 35k miles each one-way).

When I go to "Change Existing Reservation" to JFK-CPT it gives me the option to select our original flight JFK-JNB w/the added JNB-CPT leg for 0 additional miles (great!) but when I go to select it I get:

! Due to rapidly changing partner availability the following flights are no longer available. Please choose another flight or modify your search criteria.

There is plenty of award availability on the JNB-CPT flights...so it apparently can be done, but it seems the problem is it won't allow the change since there's nothing available on the JFK-JNB (except our seats).

I don't want to take my foot off first (and risk losing the confirmed JFK-JNB flights) without knowing for sure I can steal second.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by msg75
Any thoughts on this?
Call UA. An agent will be able to do it - the website errors out frequently. Make sure you confirm that they will not try to reprice to a higher mileage requirement.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tlott
Call UA. An agent will be able to do it - the website errors out frequently. Make sure you confirm that they will not try to reprice to a higher mileage requirement.
Thank you sir.

Got the best agent ever (I've actually never had a bad 1K agent...a few more enthusiastic than others but all totally competent) and she appended on the JNB-CPT leg in Business for 0 miles and a few dollars in taxes.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Exclamation Help: MP Award RT booked last year, put on hold, Change in return transit & stopover?

Help: MP Award RT booked last year, put on hold, Change in return transit & stopover?

I had booked a Reward / Awards RT from
GOING:
(Nov '13)(TPAC) BOM to SJC (BOM>SIN>SNRT>SJC)
RETURN was
(Feb '14)(TATL) via UK/EU to BOM. (Cant remember, but I think it was IAD > London > BOM)

(It was 60k + 45k)

So far NO STOPOVERS have been used. I am hoping I can use them on the way back.

My plans changed and since I could not head back to India in Feb (and was in Latin American instead) I did what was suggested on a post/ thread on FT.

I called United to PUT a HOLD on it and said I will come back with a return date and flight later since it would COST me $75/100 to change the Award / Reward flight, ONCE anyways; as I currently did not have a return date or route planned.

I was told this was done, but I'd have to complete this trip/ Use the Award within ONE YEAR.

Question: What flexibilities do I have in booking and routing this RETURN TRIP.

- How far out can I push this out in terms of dates? (saw some examples of beyond an year)?
- Date of Initial travel date or date of award booking?
- Can I divert this towards a flight/ trip to LATAM? or another direction?
- Can I still take my STOPOVER(s)?
- Can I do a return via TPAC or only via TATL?
- Since this was done before the MILEAGE costs went up in Spring 2014, I am guessing this should still hold good without needing more miles?

PS: I am wondering if I could transit and do a stopover through Africa or Asia instead of UK/EU ?

Suggestions & guidance please? Thank you all.

Last edited by xmlsoa; Oct 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
.... I was told this was done, but I'd have to complete this trip/ Use the Award within ONE YEAR. ....
one year of the date the original booking was made.

.... What flexibilities do I have in booking and routing this RETURN TRIP. ...
to keep the use of the old chart mileage, I believe you need to keep the same regions of travel. Others in this thread can be more helpful.

Originally Posted by UA Insider

Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
one year of the date the original booking was made.

to keep the use of the old chart mileage, I believe you need to keep the same regions of travel. Others in this thread can be more helpful.
So, from the DATE of INITIAL TRAVEL STARTED or the DATE of FINAL AWARD BOOKING (x number of days before the TRAVEL started)?

So the rebooking needs to happen before the above date or the travel needs to complete before the said date?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So, from the DATE of INITIAL TRAVEL STARTED or the DATE of FINAL AWARD BOOKING (x number of days before the TRAVEL started)?

So the rebooking needs to happen before the above date or the travel needs to complete before the said date?
All travel must be completed within 1 year of the day the reservation was booked. Original travel days are not a factor.

Booked Dec 1 year
original travel scheduled for May to June year+1
new travel must be completed by Dec 1 year+1

The ticket is valid only for 1 year.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All travel must be completed within 1 year of the day the reservation was booked. Original travel days are not a factor.

Booked Dec 1 year
original travel scheduled for May to June year+1
new travel must be completed by Dec 1 year+1

The ticket is valid only for 1 year.
Officially, but only in theory!

I extended a ticket booked in Feb 2014 to August 2015 online...certainly more difficult to do over the phone, but possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.