Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA, AA
I currently have LH C tickets for ICN-FRA-IAH, and LH just released ICN-FRA F seats. The UA site quotes 10K additional miles + $50 fee for changing the first segment ICN-FRA from C to F.

It's highly unlikely but if LH opens up FRA-IAH seats as well before the departure.

1. Do I need to pay another change fee?
2. Do I also need to pay additional miles?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
First class award for 140k miles.
Original routing -
SAN-ORD-NRT/HND-BKK-SIN(destination)-BKK-FRA(stopover)-SFO-SAN

New routing -
SNA-ORD-NRT/HND-BKK-SIN(destination)-BKK-FRA(stopover)-SFO-SNA

Changed SAN-ORD in coach (no I class available when originally booked) to SNA-ORD in first, and changed SFO-SAN in first to SFO-SNA in first. Had a schedule change on the two SAN flights a month ago and have been looking for better flights since then. Saw the attractive SNA flights today and called.

At first, agent asked for mileage difference (from 140K to 260K) due to change of routing. I told her that it was due to the schedule change and was not a significant routing change. She consulted with supervisor and after about 25 minutes came back with the change approved with no change fee (normally would be $75 since I have no United status).
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nydad
I currently have LH C tickets for ICN-FRA-IAH, and LH just released ICN-FRA F seats. The UA site quotes 10K additional miles + $50 fee for changing the first segment ICN-FRA from C to F.

It's highly unlikely but if LH opens up FRA-IAH seats as well before the departure.

1. Do I need to pay another change fee?
2. Do I also need to pay additional miles?

Thanks for any insight.
I believe that you will pay another change fee, but will not need to pay additional miles.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
DELETED

Last edited by hughw; Aug 14, 2014 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
OLD
SIN-TPE BR I
TPE-LAX BR I

NEW
SIN-PEK CA I
PEK-SFO CA F
SFO-MCI UA X

Tried changing online and got an error. Called Web Support (Thank You FT) and got a very helpful CSA. Iniitally told it was going to be another 80K miles, I mentioned that it was a pre-2/3 ticket. CSA came back 20 minutes later with the confirmed changes and charged me 10K.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: DL FO
I have the following booked:

LGA-(UA)-ORD-(NH)-NRT
Stopover
HND-(NH)-MNL
Destination
MNL-(OZ)-ICN-(OZ)-JFK

All in J, booked pre-2/3 for 120k

F is now available on the ORD-NRT segment.

Is it possible to keep the LGA-ORD positioning flight and upgrade to F on ORD-NRT? It looks like it should be an extra 10k + $75 (I have no status in UA) .

And is F that much better than J on NH? This is ion the 77W.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hoth300
I have the following booked:

LGA-(UA)-ORD-(NH)-NRT
Stopover
HND-(NH)-MNL
Destination
MNL-(OZ)-ICN-(OZ)-JFK

All in J, booked pre-2/3 for 120k

F is now available on the ORD-NRT segment.

Is it possible to keep the LGA-ORD positioning flight and upgrade to F on ORD-NRT? It looks like it should be an extra 10k + $75 (I have no status in UA) .

And is F that much better than J on NH? This is ion the 77W.
Yes it is possible.

You should do it. Take advantage of the old price. That F award to S. Asia would now cost almost double (70,000 miles to 130,000 miles).

Don't call it an "upgrade." You want to change to F.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
My friend and I booked the following award itinerary in JAN 14 for NOV 14 travels with old rate:

Original
US-FRA (UA F on B-777) - 12 hours layover
FRA-BKK (TG F on A340) - destination

BKK-ZRH (TG F on A340)
ZRH-FRA (LH J on B737) - 3 days stopover
FRA-US (UA F on B777)

Changed to the following itinerary for basically the same dates (BKK-Europe leaving at 11:45 pm instead of 12:15 am)

New
US-FRA (UA F on B-777) - 12 hours layover
FRA-BKK (TG F on A340) - destination

BKK-FRA (TG F on A380) - 3 days stopover
FRA-US (UA F on B777)

No miles differentials. We got a $24 refund each for the ZRH tax. But my friend had to pay a $75 change fee since he is a GM.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Aug 14, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:27 pm

Ok everyone, here's a thought...

Back in March I successfully changed an Asia-US F award to US-Asia, with different origins and destinations (I didn't simply reverse it). Since other people have successfully been changing C awards to F, that got me thinking. It appears as though the system just looks at when the ticket was booked and honors the award tables from back then, even if you're changing cabin, routing, award type etc. So, what if you booked a domestic US award (or any award for that matter) prior to Feb 3? Could you conceivably click "Change" and have the old F rates honored for a long-haul F trip? I don't have any award tickets booked from that far back, but I'd love to hear what happens if someone decides to give it a try.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Has anyone tried to re-book something past Feb 2015 on the old rate?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: DL FO
Would a change from LGA to JFK as the departure airport be considered a change of origin?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Ok everyone, here's a thought...

Back in March I successfully changed an Asia-US F award to US-Asia, with different origins and destinations (I didn't simply reverse it). Since other people have successfully been changing C awards to F, that got me thinking. It appears as though the system just looks at when the ticket was booked and honors the award tables from back then, even if you're changing cabin, routing, award type etc. So, what if you booked a domestic US award (or any award for that matter) prior to Feb 3? Could you conceivably click "Change" and have the old F rates honored for a long-haul F trip? I don't have any award tickets booked from that far back, but I'd love to hear what happens if someone decides to give it a try.
Yes. Simple itineraries only bc a human probably won't do that for you. I changed and intra-Europe J to NRT - IAD on NH F like a month ago without any problem - it just collected the mileage difference
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Changed AKT HND PEK SZE changed to SZX PVG NRT CTS MMB CTS HND (stop), NRT PVG SZX. Old rate to old rate.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We were originally booked at the old rate on an open jaw itinerary of LFT-IAH-FRA-VCE and then returning VIE-FRA-DFW-IAH-LFT with the TATL and intra-European flights in J on LH.

LFT-IAH r/t was in Y on UA Express (ERJ), IAH-FRA was in J on LH (A380), FRA-VCE and VIE-FRA were in biz on LH (A321 & A319), FRA-DFW on LH in J (A340) and DFW-IAH in F on UA Express (CR7). However, my fiancee then developed a case of severe pneumonia and this trip went out the window.

Good news, though.....I was able to rebook the following trip for April 2015 at the old rate: IAH-IAD on UA (Y and wait listed for F on a 757), IAD-VIE in J on OS (777), VIE-VCE on OS in Y (Q400), VIE-MUC in OS in business (A319) and MUC-IAH in BusinessFirst on UA (764).

The only bad news here is that I was unable to get seats at the old rate between LFT and IAH (also tried BTR-IAH, MSY-IAH and LCH-IAH r/t but no joy), so I'll probably just buy two round trip tickets between LFT and IAH as I really do not want to drive back and forth to Houston......

And BTW, during my search on UA.com, I was unable to find any available J seats for the TATL segments on LH at the Saver rates........not one.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 17, 2014 at 10:47 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Mid-trip, tried to change return from CAI-YYZ-ORD-LAX (MS to AC to UA) all in business to CAI-FRA-LAX. Saw wide open savers on both legs. SHARES split itinerary, so not comfortable changing one PNR and risking the second not happening. Called UA...

1 Can't change mid-itinerary. HUACA

2 Can't see the CAI-FRA availability on any day at all. "You must not be reading our website right." HUACA

3 "Change an award? You can't do that." Turns out she thought I meant change from saver business to full award. This is possible, of course, but not what I wanted. When I managed to explain what I meant, got a snitty "well, that's not what you said. And you already have flights to LAX, why would you want to change?" Given that attitude, and inability to see CAI-FRA, HUACA.

4 Great agent; "I can't understand why I can see what you see. Strange that LH FRA-LAX is open, you should grab it! Let me connect you to web support."

5 Web support worked hard, couldn't get the CAI-FRA to work. But we did find CAI-CPH-FRA. So changed to a stopover and get to see a city I've never seen for a day AND confirmed LH business on the 747-800 straight to LAX.

30-40 minutes on the phone. I'm not upset, ended up with a great option. Web support is the way to go IME...they collected 25 bucks close-in change fee.

Not sure why ua.com still shows CAI-FRA available but agents can't. Don't care, though. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.