Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was able to change a r/t from USA to South Asia from:

BOS-YYZ-MUC-BKK-HKG // stopover HKG and some more trip
(AC J + LH F + TG F + TG F)

to:

BOS-FRA-BKK-HKG

(LH F + TG F + TG F)

This probably costs UA less money so should have been a pretty easy change. Agent was very sharp, did a great job of grabbing the new space, took a while to recalculate the mileage, saw that the computer tried to charge the new mileage cost, decided she would call it an even exchange again, and then called the rate desk to do that.

About 15 minutes later, the ticket was reissued. It took a long time, the agent said, because there had been a lot of changes to the itinerary (these are like the 50th or so tickets on the trip). If UA had recalculated the taxes, they probably would have gone down substantially since we're no longer transiting YYZ on the outbound, but we didn't bother.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:52 am

Successful changes to Origination, Return to different than Origination

Was able to successfully change (albeit with close in change fee) flights originally scheduled as DCA-CLT-ATL-FRA-CDG (don't ask) then open jaw MUC-ATH, then return ATH-MUC-IAD

to

ORD-VIE-CDG, open jaw NCE-ZRH-ATH, return ATH-MUC-YVR-SEA

Different carriers, different dates (from June/July to Sept/Oct), different origination, different return destination (and they differed from each other) same class (I)

Agent made changes, then contacted booking desk for change cost.

UNABLE to change any flights from business to first class without incurring new award mileage chart for first class.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
(warning, longish description re: US segments making tickets “invalid”)

BUR-EWR (on UA) -> overnight -> JFK-BRU -> BRU-PRG (on SN) -> open jaw -> (19 hours+overnight)
BUD-BRU-IAD (on SN) -> overnight -> CLT-LAX (on US) (31 hours)

To

LAX-DEN-FRA-FCO (on UA/LH) -> stop over ->
FCO-VIE-PRG (on OS) -> open jaw ->
BUD-FRA-ORD-LAX (on LH BUD-FRA and UA for FRA-ORD-LAX)

All in business (I’ll take LH slanty business vs two hotel overnights, and will keep watching for better options). Different carriers, same class of service, added stop over, departing earlier. (Stop reading now if you don't care about the details.)

Yes, a crazy original itinerary, but the only thing doable before the devaluation hit. For this trip, used a mileage consultant (who earned his money) because I was not smart/creative enough to figure out the possible routings (he even managed to find four saver business seats for us and our friends, but my changes were for two seats).

Yesterday found some flights to FCO and we figured “why not play in Rome for a few days before meeting our friends?” But did not see any saver space for the return, so figured I was stuck with it for now.

An hour on the phone. Agent was great/friendly, pmCO (I asked at one point), good sense of humor, was really trying. I explained what I wanted to do, including a stop over, and then fed him segments, but after changing the outbound could not get the ticket to go (and told me an extra 70k miles per ticket). I explained why no new miles. He agreed, but didn’t seem 100% clear on the old chart rules. Still couldn’t process the ticket.

He realized it was the US portion causing issues. I helpfully joked that I didn’t want the US portion, and here are some options, could he force space? Wouldn’t work. Went to supervisor/rate desk (?) and after a long hold came back and said supervisor could force the space for return but because it was “a voluntary change” they wanted more miles. Supervisor (or rate desk) clearly told him that lack of US partnership was my problem/fault (probably just because computer couldn’t handle it?). Also claimed that because the UA-US partnership was done, I could show up for my flight and be denied boarding. I explained that all existing US tickets had to be honored. I explained why no extra miles. He insisted. I said “fine, leave me with US flights, original return, I’ll be fine”.

Computer wouldn’t let him. He said because US is out of *A, flights are invalid. We discuss back and forth, and he says because US no longer a partner and that it is my “voluntary change” and that now I have no US flight and need to buy standard awards on UA. I said “look, if I had never called you, I would have flown, right?” and he agreed. “So by calling you, my US flight is now invalid?” He went away again for a long time. Supervisor forced through savers.

A ton more taxes to be paid (fine by me) and $25 per ticket “change fee”. I don’t think I owed the change fee as flights are +21 days and destination is same, but at this point I didn’t care anymore and didn’t want to risk the new flights (which they forced) and had to leave for a show, so I ate it. Not sure if I have any recourse.

Thank you to everyone on FT (especially the ever patient WineCountryUA) and to my miles consultant for teaching me enough to get this handled, I don’t think I could have a year ago.

Last edited by abaheti; Jun 23, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Wanted to share a surprisingly positive experience I had trying to change my ticket. I mentioned earlier in this thread that a note got placed in my PNR stating that any further changes will require additional miles, and since then no reservation agent was willing to make any changes (without repricing). At the advice of fellow members, I called the .com support line and managed to get pretty amazing results.

My original itinerary was RDU(I)-ORD(I)-MUC(O)-BKK(I)-SIN. I managed to bring forward the departure date and changed the routing to RDU(I)-ORD(O)-FRA(O)BKK(I)-SIN at no additional miles or taxes last week. Downside to my new itinerary was the 15h layover I have at ORD.

Although it's well documented that a one-way award can't have more than 4 segments, I thought I would try my luck today and requested for RDU-ORD to be changed to RDU-EWR-ORD (for a shorter connection time). The agent found the flights but had to speak to the support desk as the taxes couldn't be automatically calculated (probably due to the last segment on SQ). She then came back and apologized, saying that the change couldn't be done due to too many segments (as expected), but as I am a Platinum member, they were willing to grant a one-time exception and open up a First saver seat for me on a later RDU-ORD flight, making my connection only 3.5h. I was flabbergasted cause this was not an irrop and a totally voluntary change. I accepted her offer and got my new eticket within minutes.

So while I've had my issues with the new UA over the past couple years, this unbelievable experience definitely makes me feel valued as a UA frequent flyer.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A long time ago we booked a round trip in intl F:

ob: BOS-YYZ-MUC-BKK-HKG // HKG-SIN //
rt: BKK-CDG-FRA-MUC-YYZ-BOS

(AC J, LH F, TG F, TG F; UA F; TG F, LH J, LH J, LH F, AC J)

With the help of a phone agent a few days ago we got it down to

ob: BOS-FRA-BKK-HKG // HKG-SIN //
rt: BKK-CDG-FRA-MUC-YYZ-BOS

(LH F, TG F, TG F; UA F; TG F, LH J, LH J, LH F, AC J)

And tonight with a 50-minute phone call and a very helpful agent we were able to change to

ob: BOS-FRA-KIX-BKK-HKG // HKG-SIN //
rt: SIN-BKK-MUC-YYZ-BOS

(This autopriced, but at the "wrong" new prices; the agent acknowledged that the old prices should be charged since we didn't make any huge changes to the trips, and he got the support desk to help store the correct price. We got a tax refund for cutting out Canada on the outbound.)

Am fairly happy with this trip and looking forward to making no further changes.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Has anyone had any luck reticketing cancelled but not redeposited pre-2/3 PNR using pre-2/3 rate recently? I had my luck in March when the amount of miles were the same (albeit different award regions) and additional tax were required.

However, in April and June I tried again when refund in miles and taxes were due. Both times website errored out during the very last step to confirm the change. When calling agents afterwards, they quoted the new rate due to different award regions.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:11 pm

Well it took about 45 minutes, but I got my trip changed. The foreign agent (not sure where the call center was) first told me 30k more miles per ticket, then said I had changed the ticket once since 3/2 so I wasn't eligible to change again under the old rates (I hadn't). I had to ask her to look at the alleged "change" to see if it was really a schedule change by LH (it was) so she asked her supervisor for a "one time exception." I was told that any subsequent changes will require re-pricing at the new rate, which is disappointing because I'm on old LH first class back to the US and was hoping to switch to a 744 or 74H if one opens up.

Anyway, was able to change:

BKK-CDG (TG F)
CDG-MUC (LH J)
MUC-YYZ (LH F)
YYZ-ATL (AC J)

to

HKT-BKK (TG J)
BKK-KIX (TG F)
KIX-FRA (LH F)
FRA-DTW (LH F)

...and that's the last of my UA miles. I've only been in the "game" for 3 years, but it's been a great run. I got to try out Singapore, ANA, Thai and Lufthansa first class on multiple occasions, booking 6 or 7 of these trips.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Yay! Just made my first of hopefully two changes from UA F to LH F. Itinerary as follows.

ORD-FRA UA O 747
FRA-BKK TG O 380

Changed to

ORD-FRA LH O 747
FRA-BKK TG O 346

I am a little sad to lose the TG 380 but there was only 70 minutes for the connection and I wanted to see the FCL. I had a great agent the second time I called, the first agent said they couldn't see the space available even though it showed on both ANA and .bomb. Did one HUACA and got a wonderful agent who picked up stating 1k line. Took only 11 minutes and confirmed with Saudi site and TG website.

Fingers crossed for LH O on the way home!!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:17 am

Might be a little of topic,but still about the changes.
My pre-dev flight from BKK-MUC on April 15th, TG on 747 in F went mechanical and eventually was delayed for 5-6 hours. I ended up not taking that flight, went back to FCL in BKK and asked to rebook me on a flight 2 days later on A380 new F. (747 was old F, not impressive at all) to FRA. The agent did the change, but I discovered later she put me on wrong aircraft.
I called there number from hotel and the lady on the phone did not want to change anything anymore insisting that ONLY UA can make changes. Now, the agent at BKK did changes with no problems. I dont know if she called UA for that or not, but she did everything no question asked about my UA number or anything. And btw, at that time I already had a not on my PNR stating no changes.
Short story: after 30 min of arguing phone agent did the change and I was put on A380 BKK-FRA 2 days later, she said she had to call UA to do that.
Same thing: tried to change connecting flight from TXL to FRA on LH C to get an earlier flight - not possible. But they put me on earlier flight from MUC to TXL on LH C, saying that they had weather problems and that allows them to make changes to UA ticket. Any thoughts on that?
Can a carrier make changes to my UA ticket without asking UA in case of technical problems/schedule changes etc even if UA refuses to make any changes or wants $$ in fees?
Can you simply take an earlier LH flights within Europe given that from MUC and FRA there are many many flights to major european cities, like every 30-60min there is typically a flight to Berlin, lets say? Even if there is no irregularities.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: General member AF, AA, UA, Qatar, Emirates
Rebooked but now showing miles are redeposited

I had two separate pre-deval bookings which were originally MNL>NRT>YYZ>YUL all biz on ANA and AC, which I changed in May to MNL>PEK>YVR>DEN>STL on AC. When I booked the MNL>PEK and YVR>DEN segments were unavailable on one of the tickets in biz. A couple weeks ago J opens up on YVR>DEN and I grabbed it, no problem.

This week the MNL>PEK opens up and agents keep insisting that there is an add/collect of 27,000 miles. After HUACAing a few times I finally get an agent who says that the add/collect is a mistake, overrides the added miles and reissues the ticket.

When I log into my MP account today I see that my original miles charged have been redeposited. The itinerary is intact, but it is now showing that the award level is 27000 higher.

My question for the FTers is: do I ignore this and hope that MP figures out that this wasn't a redeposit or add/collect and that it will all get straightened out eventually, or do I call and risk them taking out the biz flights altogether? According to UA Insider changes in cabin will cause recalculation of miles under the new award chart, but since the ticket is a biz ticket it seems odd/crazy/weird for them to insist on this new calculation.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I just noticed today after I made my changes yesterday that my totals on the e-ticket didn't match up. Is there any reason for concern?

eTicket Total: 232.20 USD
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 0.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 226.20 USD
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by cloudybw
Has anyone had any luck reticketing cancelled but not redeposited pre-2/3 PNR using pre-2/3 rate recently? I had my luck in March when the amount of miles were the same (albeit different award regions) and additional tax were required.

However, in April and June I tried again when refund in miles and taxes were due. Both times website errored out during the very last step to confirm the change. When calling agents afterwards, they quoted the new rate due to different award regions.
Did you get quoted same rate for same region?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: General member AF, AA, UA, Qatar, Emirates
Originally Posted by highschoolband
I had two separate pre-deval bookings which were originally MNL>NRT>YYZ>YUL all biz on ANA and AC, which I changed in May to MNL>PEK>YVR>DEN>STL on AC. When I booked the MNL>PEK and YVR>DEN segments were unavailable on one of the tickets in biz. A couple weeks ago J opens up on YVR>DEN and I grabbed it, no problem.

This week the MNL>PEK opens up and agents keep insisting that there is an add/collect of 27,000 miles. After HUACAing a few times I finally get an agent who says that the add/collect is a mistake, overrides the added miles and reissues the ticket.

When I log into my MP account today I see that my original miles charged have been redeposited. The itinerary is intact, but it is now showing that the award level is 27000 higher.

My question for the FTers is: do I ignore this and hope that MP figures out that this wasn't a redeposit or add/collect and that it will all get straightened out eventually, or do I call and risk them taking out the biz flights altogether? According to UA Insider changes in cabin will cause recalculation of miles under the new award chart, but since the ticket is a biz ticket it seems odd/crazy/weird for them to insist on this new calculation.
Just an update to my post from yesterday - I called United this morning and the first agent I got realized that the additional collect was a mistake, acknowledged that the booking was pre devaluation, and quickly got the 27k miles redeposited in my account.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:08 pm

I booked an F ticket before devaluation but need to change my return date. my return date has no saver F or business now and I depart in a week. so need to do economy. can I get a refund in miles? cant do any changes after I begin the trip right?

I called and asked about a refund in miles on my return leg and she says it will get redeposited after I take my flight. asked her to make a note of it but she said no need.

wondering if I should worry about tracking down the refund in miles now or trust her....

Last edited by bigbellytraveler; Jul 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by frudd38
Did you get quoted same rate for same region?
I have always been quoted the pre-2/3 rate, even for completely different regions. However, it errored out after I submitted my address information (for refund).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.