Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: MP 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott G, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lewende
If you are a 1K, how come you cancelled it the first place? The "trick" advocated by the blogger was intentionally designed for people who has no UA status and will incur award change fee for changing an award ticket.
Since LH award seats in F frequently don't open up until a few days before the flights, I had to book what was available at the time (a week out) and "cancel" (or delay travel) without redepositing miles. At the time of cancellation (a day before the original travel date), there was no open F seats for my itinerary for on LH, on NH, on OZ…
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by audryte
Previous reservation (all in F):

ORD-FRA (LH)
FRA-ICN (OZ)
ICN-ORD (UA)

Changed today (in F) for extra 2,500 miles:

ORD-FRA (LH)
FRA-ICN (LH)
ICN-NRT (OZ)
NRT-ORD (NH)
Why did they collect the extra 2,500 miles?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
More importantly, why on earth would you change an OZ F segment to LH? Do you prefer robots and bad food?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
More importantly, why on earth would you change an OZ F segment to LH? Do you prefer robots and bad food?
Because they want to be driven to the plane in style
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:41 am

Is there any rhyme or reason as to why you can sometimes change an award online, and other times you cannot?

I am trying to change cabin (J to F), and weeks ago I was able to search for new legs using the "change" feature. Now when I try, I just get an error before any options load. I have a feeling that calling and HUCA'ing will be a long, and likely unsuccessful process. I also don't want to get the PNR all marked up by an overzealous agent.

Any advice as to how to get this done? Flight departs in 1 week. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by slice
Is there any rhyme or reason as to why you can sometimes change an award online, and other times you cannot?

I am trying to change cabin (J to F), and weeks ago I was able to search for new legs using the "change" feature. Now when I try, I just get an error before any options load. I have a feeling that calling and HUCA'ing will be a long, and likely unsuccessful process. I also don't want to get the PNR all marked up by an overzealous agent.

Any advice as to how to get this done? Flight departs in 1 week. Thanks.
I've never been able to figure it out. If it was ever manually priced, you'll never be able to change it online. I've also noticed that if you try doing it once and it errors out, you won't be able to make any changes online unless you call and make a change, and then after that it would let you make changes again.

One thing you might try doing (and I have no idea if this would work) is call and see if you can get an agent to simply "reissue" the ticket. Tell them that something isn't showing up on the partner site correctly and you want to see if that would fix it. Maybe then it will remove whatever flag is set that prevents the changes online. Just a thought.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Successful Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after Feb. 3

Another datapoint - I was able to (over the phone because .bomb wasn't properly displaying OS business class availability) change the following original routing:

ORD-(UA)-YYZ-(LH)-MUC--(LH)-GVA (destination)
(open jaw return) VIE-(OS)-WAW-(LO)-ORD (loooong stopover)
ORD-(UA)-SJU (double open jaw)

to:

ORD-(OS)-VIE (destination)
(open jaw return) ZRH-(LX)-WAW-(LO)-ORD (loooong stopover)
ORD-(UA)-SJU (double open jaw)

(each segment in business and no changes to dates)

over the phone with the first US-based reservation agent who answered in less than 15 minutes with a $50/pax change fee (Silver) and no change in miles (102.5k/pax) (but also a $77 refund in taxes).
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Two quick questions for making changes.

1. When changing one segment of a multi segment flight, IE switching ORD-FRA-BKK, do all flights need to show saver availability to make the change online?
Currently I have ORD-FRA UA F and FRA-BKK TG F.
I would like ORD-FRA LH F and FRA-BKK TG F.
Can I make this change online if FRA-BKK is not available at saver level? Will I need to call in to make that change?

2. BKK is a stopover with a continuing flight to DPS the next day, will that affect anything, or is that essentially its own segment?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Hendo5698
Two quick questions for making changes.

1. When changing one segment of a multi segment flight, IE switching ORD-FRA-BKK, do all flights need to show saver availability to make the change online?
Currently I have ORD-FRA UA F and FRA-BKK TG F.
I would like ORD-FRA LH F and FRA-BKK TG F.
Can I make this change online if FRA-BKK is not available at saver level? Will I need to call in to make that change?
I had wondered the same...I'm pretty confident the answer is that .bomb will give you an option to keep your existing first flight even if award availability isn't currently there. When I was looking for changes to my itinerary online, this seemed to be the case (I.e, I was presented with connection options that included my existing first flight even though there was not currently saver availability).

Originally Posted by Hendo5698
2. BKK is a stopover with a continuing flight to DPS the next day, will that affect anything, or is that essentially its own segment?
See if the website let's you - my guess from attempts to change my itinerary online is that you probably will be able to do it online because you can select to change only some of the one-ways.

Once you start trying a change on the website, you should be able to just cancel the attempt if you're unable to do what you want.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kacee
You will not pay a change fee, but this is perhaps not an advisable course of action given the recent report of UA doing an involuntary redeposit rather than allowing the cancelled award to be preserved.
For the same reasons as mentioned in a subsequent post (want to preserve the ticket but can't book anything else yet, as LH has 0 F space open later this year), I was thinking of doing the cancel-but-don't-redeposit method. Where are these reports of UA doing an involuntary redeposit? I'd like to read up on them more to understand what this function actually does.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
According to the rep, they had to put something in to allow for future changes. I was too exhausted to argue, and honestly, didn't even expect this to work on a cancelled (albeit not re-deposited) itinerary.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Oh, I hear you! As it happens, I do indeed need to travel on this particular date, and LH was the only option in F (not counting UA).
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jackal
For the same reasons as mentioned in a subsequent post (want to preserve the ticket but can't book anything else yet, as LH has 0 F space open later this year), I was thinking of doing the cancel-but-don't-redeposit method. Where are these reports of UA doing an involuntary redeposit? I'd like to read up on them more to understand what this function actually does.
Auto Forced Redeposit Cancelled Award.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks. One report doesn't a new policy make, so I guess I'll just keep checking and see if there's something I can change it to to preserve it, but I may have to go this route out of necessity. So maybe I'll be statistic #2 to confirm that UA has indeed made this a policy...or maybe it will work for me.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Was unsuccessful in trying to change my itinerary without a reprice. Was trying to go from RDU(I)-ORD(I)-MUC(O)-BKK(I)-SIN to RDU(X)-IAD(O)-FRA(O)-BKK(I)-SIN with a date change as well. Called twice today and along the way someone made a note on the PNR so calling back no longer helps. Incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.