Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Today I surprisingly changed the following:

OLD: SUB-(SQ J)-SIN-(BR J)-TPE-(BR J)-LAX = 60K

to

NEW: SUB-(SQ J)-SIN-(SQ J)-BKK-(TG F)-FRA-(LH F)-ORD-(UA J)-SNA

Incurred an additional 10,000 miles, I thought this would have failed being via the Atlantic, number of segments, change of class, and change in destination. Agent even waived the change fee as it took 90 minutes to complete the change.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mherdeg
And tonight with a 50-minute phone call and a very helpful agent we were able to change to

ob: BOS-FRA-KIX-BKK-HKG // HKG-SIN //
rt: SIN-BKK-MUC-YYZ-BOS
This trip hit a snag — the UA segment HKG-SIN was cancelled. A phone agent rebooked us in SQ F on the A380 HKG-SIN; very cool.

After we landed in SIN, I tried to call and make some changes to the return portion, but they said that while SQ still controls the ticket (the coupon was still "open for use") we could not make any changes. The next day, the coupon showed "flown" and we were able to make further changes…

Just called and changed the return portion to

SIN-BKK-KIX-FRA-BOS

This is TG regional J, TG 380 F, LH 747 F, LH 747 F.

The phone agent was super helpful and delighted to process this change as an even exchange. It took about an hour on the phone, of that about 50 minutes spent on hold while the agent talked with a support desk to help ticket. I guess the complication was the lengthy e-ticket history and the "single ticket exchange" which happened during irrops to help ticket our SQ F segment HKG-SIN. Eventually for this last change, something happened called a "coupon exchange" that helped make the trip ticket.

All the changes we've made to this trip are compliant with the changes UA Insider said would be possible, so I'm pretty happy that we got things working.

Last edited by mherdeg; Jul 3, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This trip hit a snag — the UA segment HKG-SIN was cancelled. A phone agent rebooked us in SQ F on the A380 HKG-SIN; very cool.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA Award Tickets Booked Pre-Devaluation

Something interesting I have seen with a couple tickets I booked in January. I have 2 one-way tickets booked in Global First to / from US to Turkey. Interesting thing over the last couple of weeks is that I have had to make several changes to these tickets, and when I have, I am still being offered pre-devaluation mileage rates for the tickets (now booked in business class on Austrian / Tyrolean for 50,000 each way). *A partner rates for business class to / from Europe are 75,000 now. Looks like I am getting a steal.

It appears that pre-devaluation tickets (as long as they are not cancelled and rebooked) can be changed at pre-devaluation rates. I certainly thought I would be paying more miles when I made the changes, or would downgrade to business class without getting any refund. I am pleasantly surprised here.... I should have booked ghost tickets with all of my miles!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jjmoore
It appears that pre-devaluation tickets (as long as they are not cancelled and rebooked) can be changed at pre-devaluation rates.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There's a long thread about this, though I can't recall what it's called.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Heres the existing thread

Successful Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Found it using "Award Changes" (with the quotes) as the search term
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Something interesting I have seen with a couple tickets I booked in January. I have 2 one-way tickets booked in Global First to / from US to Turkey. Interesting thing over the last couple of weeks is that I have had to make several changes to these tickets, and when I have, I am still being offered pre-devaluation mileage rates for the tickets (now booked in business class on Austrian / Tyrolean for 50,000 each way). *A partner rates for business class to / from Europe are 75,000 now. Looks like I am getting a steal.

It appears that pre-devaluation tickets (as long as they are not cancelled and rebooked) can be changed at pre-devaluation rates. I certainly thought I would be paying more miles when I made the changes, or would downgrade to business class without getting any refund. I am pleasantly surprised here.... I should have booked ghost tickets with all of my miles!

Many did book ghost tickets. The thread referenced above is excellent source of info.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Successful change

Old:
SNA-SFO UA Y
SFO-LHR UA F
LHR-FRA LH J
FRA-BKK TG F A380

New:
LAX-ORD UA "F"
ORD-FRA LH F 748
FRA-BKK TG F A380

No additional miles, taxes back due to dropping LHR
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Well it took an hour on the phillippines number but I was able to change

BUF-JFK-ICN-NRT to YYZ-JFK (less than 24 hour overnight stop) then continue on JFK-ICN-NRT the next day

Wanted to charge me an insane amount of more miles since its an F award, Cant wait for the asiana JFK-ICN leg

Had to wait for her to talk to supervisor but finally got it done with no change, she claimed it was an "exception" although clearly within the award rules...

Can't believe it took so long for such a small change!!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Unfortunately, my first attempt at changing an "Old award" was a mess and it continues after 4 agents and about 1 1/2 hours phone time.

Relatively simple change, North Asia to South Asia round trip. Original was Pvr/Bkk, now changing Icn/Bkk. both awards under old system 45K. Single leg each way, same carrier.

Shares choked after changing the flights. Told to call reservations.

1st agent, reservation already changed and ticket reissued. Everything good to go. Not! Receipt sent after the conversation by UA reflected old itinerary and receipt.

2nd agent. Everything good to go, but my account now shows I was charged 80K. After long pause, the agent insists ticket was reissued for the original 45K. New receipt sent after conversation reflects 80K.

3rd agent. Ticket now reissued for 45K and new receipt issued. New ticket reflects 45K. My account now shows 45K additional miles deducted from mileage bonus.

Ticket is now 45K + 45K = 90K. Agent in the Philippines talking so fast, couldn't catch a thing she was saying. Transferred again.
4th agent after very long delay says he sees the problem but system glitch doesn't permit the reinstatement of miles.

He states that: "It is my error, you should never reissue an old award ticket as a 1K, just redeposit and start again". I remind him that the new ticket cost would be 80K. Almost twice the original cost and my award is valid. We agree that this is a downside. He says miles should repost to my account overnight, if not, call again. (Any takers on the odds that I'll be calling tomorrow)

Incompetence was the rule of the day. Not enough time to mention the misstatements of the different agents.

Anyone care to offer suggestions for avoiding the fiasco, I have a few more of these that will need to be changed.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dlflyer2
Anyone care to offer suggestions for avoiding the fiasco, I have a few more of these that will need to be changed.
What time did you call? I would try after 10 pm Pacific time to maximize chances you get an HNL agent.

He states that: "It is my error, you should never reissue an old award ticket as a 1K, just redeposit and start again"
A competent agent will be able to change and reissue your ticket without difficulty. The only difficulties that are normally encountered are (a) pricing, if the routing is complex or (as here) you're reissuing a pre-deval award, or (b) phantom availability, if you're trying to book LH F, for example.

Agent in the Philippines talking so fast, couldn't catch a thing she was saying. Transferred again.
Ah yes, that must be the "1K Desk" that some people insist still exists. Didn't know it was in the Philippines though
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just changed a rather complex business class (120K) award SFO-FRA-OSL/-IST-BEY//TLV-BRU-JFK-LAX to SFO-LHR all in Global First and .bomb just asked for 15K miles (135K was the pre 3/1 price).

.Bomb eventually erred out, of course, but because there was a record of 135K, even though it really priced at 160K when I called in, the 135K was honored.

Taxes were cheaper over the phone...by $24 per passenger...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Took several calls and a long wait on hold, but was able to change:

JFK-IST-ATH-HER (dest) -ATH (stopover) -MUC-YYZ-LGA

to

SFO-JFK-IST-ATH-HER (dest) -ATH (stopover) -MUC-YYZ-LGA

New 1st leg is on UA, rest are partners.

^^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Was able to change pretty easily this morning:

OLD: DBV-FRA-MUC-YYZ-SFO

to

NEW: DBV-FRA-ORD-IAH-SFO

Original booking was actually SFO-YVR-MUC-ZAG-(open-jaw/stopover)PUY-ZAG-DBV(dest)DBV-FRA-MUC-YYZ-SFO, but already flew the segments until DBV and wanted to change from LH F on a A330 to 747 on the way home.

No additional miles, taxes back due to dropping YYZ. Also, agent didn't mention getting changed a close-in fee, so hoping that doesn't all of a sudden show up on my CC statement. Was just charged a change fee of $75.

Last edited by jglenn16; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reason: more context
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:08 pm

The change fees aren't additive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.