Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by patchan8984
Can you try and go past January? Can you change the flights online?
It won't let me change it online. Complex itinerary..
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Has anyone been successful in adding a 2nd person to the ticket lately? I know there were a few reports awhile back of that, but none lately.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by noah
I booked a pre-devaluation ticket for me and my wife to travel to Japan -- picked a random week in October where I could find availability and now that we're actually approaching it schedules no longer permit us to take the trip. A shame too

PDX-SFO-LAX (UA Y )
LAX-ICN OZ F on A380
ICN-NRT OZ F on 747

KIX-SFO UA C
SFO-PDX UA F

I booked this ticket January 19th 2014. Trying to figure out if there is any sense in trying to rebook this to somewhere else for travel in early January. Knowing its the holidays it seems very unlikely I'd be able to find any availability but would welcome suggestions. Anything I should do other than cancel and redeposit (luckily its free)?
Well, you never know. In playing around with the pre-devaluation award booking for a trip my wife and I just completed, I found a good amount of availability for C and even (IIRC) F for some routes to Asia even a few days before travel...SFO-TPE-BGK on Eva in C, for instance. You might noodle around the UA site to see about various options/destinations. Sometimes it can be easier to check them one leg at a time.

Another option is to pay use sites such as ExpertFlyer.com and AwardNexus.com to send you email alerts if flights open up for routes you're interested in. I love EF, but for this purpose AN might be better as it checks all available routes rather than your having to plug in specific routes as EF requires.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Found an interesting bug in the change online options. Want to go from KIX to GMP and doing a regular search shows C wide open on the three non-stop options.

Doing a search in the "Change Flights" prompt returns only 1 connection options.

The agent who originally booked this for me misunderstood when I said GMP and booked me into ICN, which is why I am trying to change it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by madix
I called the web support line and was able to change my flights. At first I was told 20K extra miles then 90K but I was able to explain how the region of my flights hadn't changed and that the pre-deval 140K was correct for F to S Asia. After about 30 minutes on hold they agreed and made the change after paying change fees.

Original flights:
SFO-NRT (stopover)
HND-HKG (stopover)
HKG-PEK-SFO

Changed to:
SFO-NRT (stopover, OJ)
SIN-HKG (stopover)
HKG-ICN-SFO
I made another change to my itinerary, this time to the outbound. I called the web support number again and was able to change it on the first try. The only hiccup was that they wanted to charge me extra miles because one of my connecting flights in BKK was 26 hours after I landed, but after pointing out that it was only actually 2 hours (forgot the +1 day), the change went through with no problem.

Changed from:
SFO-NRT (UA F)

Changed to:
SFO-HKG (UA F)
HKG-BKK (TG F)
BKK-NRT (TG F)

The rest of the itinerary stayed the same.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:59 pm

How long is my Jan 31, 2014 reservation good for? Mixed answers

Purchased two separate round trip business awards to europe on Jan 31, 2014, for flights June 22-July 19. Changed it on June 21, 2014 to flights in September. Canceled September trip but will rebook.

What's the latest day I can fly when I rebook?

Before canceled, flight showed purchase date of April 10. (I have no idea where that came from.) When I canceled the first flight and inquired about latest travel date on rebooking, was told April 10.

When canceled second flight was told June 21.

Any idea what will happen when I actually try to rebook? Even if I eventually get an agent who says June 21, will the ticket issuing people (who handle the transaction after the agent has made all the tentative changes - they're the ones who price the new flights, and say whether they're allowed) revert to the Jan 31 date or the April 10 date?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Just changed dates on a ticket HND-TSA in BR C. ua.com changed the flight with no issues, no change fee. Ticket originally booked day of the deval.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
It took 3 hours of hold time and escalation through several supervisors to change my award ticket by one day! It seems like they are getting more and more reluctant to modify pre devaluation award tickets.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I've had lots of frustrations with UA in the Smisek era, but happy to report that all went well with a complicated itinerary that I changed numerous times in the months leading up to finally taking the trip last month. Ended up with SFO-TPE(Eva J)-Bangkok(TG J)-CDG(TG F)-[break]-MUC-Toronto(LH F)-SFO(AC J). Lucked out with it being treated as RT rather than RTW, so total for my wife and me was 280,000K miles. So, at least in my experience, UA made changes to the ticket even though the ticketing might have been flawed.

Trip too complicated to consider changing on line, so made adjustments strictly by phone. More often than not, CSRS easily made changes by themselves. A couple of times supervisors got involved to help. And a fews times I had CSRs who were downright problematic. But HUACA helped in those instances.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Would i be able to change the dates of an return award booking, booked pre-deval, that currently is XX-YY(stopover)-ZZ-XX to end up with effectively ZZ-XX-YY-ZZ ?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
turn a one way ticket from japan to china today to a round trip
china japan in july 2015. it seems that old ticket can be changed ...
happy camper. it is Y, i know it sucks in FT standard.
i am working on visiting most islands in okinawa!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbd456
turn a one way ticket from japan to china today to a round trip
china japan in july 2015. it seems that old ticket can be changed ...
happy camper. it is Y, i know it sucks in FT standard.
i am working on visiting most islands in okinawa!
Did the price change for Y on the new chart?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by a9504477
Would i be able to change the dates of an return award booking, booked pre-deval, that currently is XX-YY(stopover)-ZZ-XX to end up with effectively ZZ-XX-YY-ZZ ?
which regions are your XX etc. in? This makes a difference. In my experience you ca change origin and destination and pre-deval tickets but they are AFAIK supposed to be within the same zone.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did the price change for Y on the new chart?
I can also change my oneway F ticket to round trip online and being charged old chart mileage without issue. But you have to keep the award service class level the same.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
changed BOS-ORD-FRA(UA-F)-BCN to BOS-MUC(LH F)-BCN and got $3.90 back in taxes w/ no additional miles. took 45 Minutes on the phone, but in the end all was well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.