Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:15 pm

I'm hoping someone is able to answer my inquiry as the past 45minutes on hold with UA results in nothing but frustration with language barrier and lack of knowledge of rep. Argg....

*end vent*

Question: Booked an award reservation for 3 pax on Asiana (same DNR) but need to change travel date for just one pax. Is it possible and what's the accompanied fee? Agent's advising me that it is impossible to change just one pax and cancellation will result in forfeiture of miles. (Duh!)

Much thanks in advance.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by daslax
Old itin:
EWR-NRT (UA), non-stop C

New itin (new date):
EWR-ZRH(UA)-NRT(LX) - all in C

Agent told me it was repricing at the new mileage levels but with little prompting she said that she was pretty sure I shouldn't have to pay it. She spent a good amount of time trying to look up the new policy herself, then gave up and called a supervisor. Supervisor confirmed the change was ok and they reissued the ticket. Took about 25 minutes total.
I've just spent almost two hours with UA trying to make another change to this ticket and was rebuffed by several agents. Extremely frustrating, as all I was trying to do was change EWR-ZRH from UA to a later flight on LX - same date, same cabin, same airports.

The first agent told me it would be 55k additional miles per person - I explained that I thought what I was doing was within the change rules for pre-2/3 bookings and could she check with a supervisor. After a long period of time, she came with a denial from the supervisor. I politely said thank you, hung up and tried again...

Apparently, I got the dreaded "PNR note" as the new agent reminded me that I had already been told this change was not allowed. I then asked to speak directly to a supervisor. The supervisor spent over an hour supposedly calling the Mileage Plus Service center, checking the web for the relevant policy and checking with other service directors but insisted that all were on the same page that a change in carrier was not allowed without a reprice. When I noted that I had a made a carrier change in this reservation just days ago, they insisted it was a "one time exception" (you can see my original notes above, it took them some time but in the end they said they found the proper policy, the change was allowed and no mention of exception of any kind was made).

I should also note that at no time was I rude to any of the agents. The first call was relatively short and sweet (despite a long hold time when she went to the supervisor), so the "note" should not have been any kind of reaction to a bad pax attitude.

I wish that when a new policy is announced UA Insider could give us a reference to the agents. I read the policy as quoted here in another thread by UA Insider directly to the agent, but his only response was that they can't take the word of FlyerTalk. I understand that, which is why we should have some sort of reference that will be understandable to UA agents who can't seem to access stated policies.

I've sent a note to UA Insider on the off chance they can help (my flight is tomorrow night), since HUCA is no longer an option with the PNR note. Really frustrating.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by helloflyer
Total waste of time. I used my husband's miles (1K) and bought pre Feb 1.

Tried to make a simple date change from Thurs to Friday. Same origin and destination.

First agent: No, more miles needed. She talked to supervisor and said she would do a one time change for me.

I got the receipt and she made NO CHANGE. New ticket numbers issued but nothing was changed.

I called back right away. Second agent: This is asking for more miles, let me price this. Came back and said supervisor told her that I need more miles.

She said she talked to the first agent and said she never promised me or something? WHAT?

I asked her to change it back and forget it. Really disappointed since United Insider said this is allowed. Other FT members also successfully changed tickets.
I have no problem changing dates only on line. If Savers award is available on your new date, you should be able do it on line with no added miles required, do not call an agent who may complicate things.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
I've just spent almost two hours with UA trying to make another change to this ticket and was rebuffed by several agents. Extremely frustrating, as all I was trying to do was change EWR-ZRH from UA to a later flight on LX - same date, same cabin, same airports.

The first agent told me it would be 55k additional miles per person - I explained that I thought what I was doing was within the change rules for pre-2/3 bookings and could she check with a supervisor. After a long period of time, she came with a denial from the supervisor. I politely said thank you, hung up and tried again...

Apparently, I got the dreaded "PNR note" as the new agent reminded me that I had already been told this change was not allowed. I then asked to speak directly to a supervisor. The supervisor spent over an hour supposedly calling the Mileage Plus Service center, checking the web for the relevant policy and checking with other service directors but insisted that all were on the same page that a change in carrier was not allowed without a reprice. When I noted that I had a made a carrier change in this reservation just days ago, they insisted it was a "one time exception" (you can see my original notes above, it took them some time but in the end they said they found the proper policy, the change was allowed and no mention of exception of any kind was made).

I should also note that at no time was I rude to any of the agents. The first call was relatively short and sweet (despite a long hold time when she went to the supervisor), so the "note" should not have been any kind of reaction to a bad pax attitude.

I wish that when a new policy is announced UA Insider could give us a reference to the agents. I read the policy as quoted here in another thread by UA Insider directly to the agent, but his only response was that they can't take the word of FlyerTalk. I understand that, which is why we should have some sort of reference that will be understandable to UA agents who can't seem to access stated policies.

I've sent a note to UA Insider on the off chance they can help (my flight is tomorrow night), since HUCA is no longer an option with the PNR note. Really frustrating.
I was able to overcome a PNR note via HUACA although it took multiple tries. You might just keep calling - but don't ask any agent to check with a supervisor; just hang up and try again if there is any push back. This thread provides ample evidence that a nontrivial, albeit small, minority of agents know the rules and are willing to execute them without supervision. Granted, finding such an agent might take a dozen calls, but for certain award changes (e.g., UA F to LH F) it's worth it, IMHO.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Did you try to change on line?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by speedy_j
I'm hoping someone is able to answer my inquiry as the past 45minutes on hold with UA results in nothing but frustration with language barrier and lack of knowledge of rep. Argg....

*end vent*

Question: Booked an award reservation for 3 pax on Asiana (same DNR) but need to change travel date for just one pax. Is it possible and what's the accompanied fee? Agent's advising me that it is impossible to change just one pax and cancellation will result in forfeiture of miles. (Duh!)

Much thanks in advance.
It appears UA agents are reluctant to split the record because their outdated computers may sometimes not accurately communicate with their partners. Call and ask for the record to be split and the change made on the one record. But be sure to check with the other airline to verify they have the changes.

UA must have key punch operators who are incorrectly typing the IBM cards that they are feeding into their card readers to make the change.

They need to invest in IBM Ball-Selectric terminals, and save up money to buy terminals with Cathode Ray tubes in the future .
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
It appears UA agents are reluctant to split the record because their outdated computers may sometimes not accurately communicate with their partners. Call and ask for the record to be split and the change made on the one record. But be sure to check with the other airline to verify they have the changes.

UA must have key punch operators who are incorrectly typing the IBM cards that they are feeding into their card readers to make the change.

They need to invest in IBM Ball-Selectric terminals, and save up money to buy terminals with Cathode Ray tubes in the future .
Thanks, I'll charge up the phone and prepare for another 30+min of hold time to try your suggestion. Any ideas what the official fee would be for date change?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedy_j
Thanks, I'll charge up the phone and prepare for another 30+min of hold time to try your suggestion. Any ideas what the official fee would be for date change?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

Originally Posted by BF263533

The sad thing is that probably 1/2 of the population here cannot get your joke

I miss keypunch cards. It is easy to test your program in different orders if you are not sure

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 20, 2014 at 2:37 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Still looking for an answer...would like to know if this is ok before I waste hours on the phone with united.

EWR-CDG UA F, want to change to

JFK-FRA LH F
FRA-VIE OS J
VIE-EVN OS J

and I want to change the departure date. Is this ok because it is the same cabin and still N.America to Europe zone?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Did you try to change on line?
Indeed. It will let me change to several partners for no charge, but it will not display any routes US-JP through Europe, which is what my booking is (and unfortunately necessary as I have to travel in the evening).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer
I have Non-Elite status with United. I successfully changed my pre-Jan 31st booked itinerary online last week (old award chart - 32,500 miles) without incurring any extra miles (new award chart - 40,000 miles). Note that I had reserved Economy Saver seats to begin with and the itinerary changes were as follows:
1. Date of travel
2. Same airlines, but chose different flights

However, I was not charged the $75 change fee per passenger as listed at http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx. I am a General member because of my Non-Elite status, correct? So why did my credit card not get charged?

I am concerned because I am planning on cancelling my credit card next month, and if United tries to charge my card at a later time, they will be unsuccessful. Will that result in my tickets getting cancelled?

Any advise?
Does anyone have any thoughts on my situation above? Please reply.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Still looking for an answer...would like to know if this is ok before I waste hours on the phone with united.

EWR-CDG UA F, want to change to

JFK-FRA LH F
FRA-VIE OS J
VIE-EVN OS J

and I want to change the departure date. Is this ok because it is the same cabin and still N.America to Europe zone?
I requested a much simpler change yesterday. Same origin, destination, class, and even flight numbers. Only need to change the return flight date.

Even that took me 3 calls, 3 hours total, and 3 different answers. Each agent gave me different set of rules and exceptions.

I did it after 7:30pm EST.

I just called again this morning and the agent was very nice and efficient. I don't know if calling during business hours is better. Just to give you a data point.

Good luck
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jbsay
I was able to overcome a PNR note via HUACA although it took multiple tries. You might just keep calling - but don't ask any agent to check with a supervisor; just hang up and try again if there is any push back. This thread provides ample evidence that a nontrivial, albeit small, minority of agents know the rules and are willing to execute them without supervision. Granted, finding such an agent might take a dozen calls, but for certain award changes (e.g., UA F to LH F) it's worth it, IMHO.
Sigh, I'm so upset with UA right now. Tried again, the agent immediately called a supervisor (I wasn't asked, just put on hold for another eternity). Came back with the same response.

Tried @united on twitter as well - gave them the direct link to UA Insider's post on what was allowed. Their response: "Your record has been documented with what applies for the change you'd like to make. We can do no more than what's been advised." After that, they unfollowed me so that I couldn't even respond back.

I'd love to read the notes in my PNR - I feel now like I'm being treated like a pariah when I'm just trying to get someone, anyone, at UA to just follow their own stated rules. I really feel like continuing to pursue this not going to help my cause given whatever they've put in there, despite the fact that I've been nothing but professional. Sad state of customer "service".
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I was able to make extensive changes to a ticket including changes to the return routing, airline, stop over city, and date. I had no UA segments on this round trip.

Original routing:
IAD-IST-OTP stop then OTP-MUC-CLT-IAD

New:
IAD-IST-OTP stop then OTP-ZRH stop then ZRH-MUC-IAD

There was no problem making any of these changes over the phone and no change to class of service I

Last edited by FLYDCA; Feb 20, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am just happy that after numerous calls my old itinerary has been changed to the latest/greatest.

old:
IAD-IST-BKK-PVG; ICN-JFK, LGA-IAD

intermediate:
IAD-GVA-ZRH-BKK; ICN-JFK, LGA-IAD
IAD-GVA-ZRH-BKK BKK-PVG; ICN-JFK, LGA-IAD

New:
IAD-BRU-BKK; ICN-JFK, LGA-IAD

Last night, the agent was really helpful and she went out of the way to try to accommodate my travel changes. Thanks!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.