Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kannon99
CDG-BKK TG "0"
BKK-HAN TG "I"
kannon - congrats. Enjoy the TG 380 F if you've not flown it before. There's something very wonderful about sitting in the F lounge in front of the cabin & sipping on Dom.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Changed date only BR TPE-SFO. Online, 0 miles.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:35 am

I have a saver award from Mia - HNL but i cant seem to change it with out incurring fees and more mile charge. I know the saver award is not available anymore. Is this why? All I want to do is change it to the following day

Everyone is having success but not me..

Any other tips?

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yolie
I have a saver award from Mia - HNL but i cant seem to change it with out incurring fees and more mile charge. I know the saver award is not available anymore. Is this why? All I want to do is change it to the following day

Everyone is having success but not me..

Any other tips?

Thanks
If there is no saver space, you will have to be rebooked as a standard award and pay the new, higher standard award rate.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Saver 1st originally on United returning to PDX from FRA on United via IAD. Changed dates and airlines yesterday. Currently on LH in 1st on my way to PDX via SEA with the new LH First Class cabin. $50 change fee and a small tax difference. No additional miles were taken out.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
IAD-FRA UA F-> Changed to EWR-FRA LH F
FRA-ZRH LH C
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-BKK TG F
BKK-CGK TG C-> Changed to BKK-DPS TG C

KUL-BKK LH C -> Deleted
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-IAD LH I

I made a lot of changes. Origin, Destination etc etc.. All keeping with the same award type. The agent didn't blink, told me the miles were the same and just as I was about to give her my CC # the line went dead... I waited about 3 minutes in hope she would call me back to no avail... My itinerary online showed the changes with a message to call United to have the ticket reissued.

Calling back the next agent said everything looked ok. When pressed, he again said that everything looked ok... I politely said thank you and hung up...

The next agent had a tough tough time getting the change processed. She kept thinking it was a new award to be issued but I reiterated that it was merely a change to an existing award. She had to go to the rate desk a couple of times to get the change processed. All and all the entire process took me about 1.5 hours... It took so long and for some reason was so complicated that they waived the change fees (Yeah!) but she did read me a disclaimer that any additional changes would cause the ticket to reprice at the new levels (at least that's what her supervisor told her)... she, however, thought that that didn't sound right and thought as long as the award type stayed the same and I made changes it would be fine...

I had really wanted IAD-FRA in LH F.. it stayed at F4 for days and I figured at T-3 it would open up (as had been the historical trend). I wasn't exactly sure when they would magically release the seats but I went to bed around 10 PM EST and woke up at 4 AM EST... when I woke up it was at F2... oh well, that's why Plan B exists (though in all honesty I think this might be plan D or so).

Now, I need to get to EWR... Add on DCA-EWR or take amtrak.. thoughts? I'm BWI based so I could actually leave my house later if I took amtrak... but there's only about 2 hours in EWR for the transfer....

FDW
To quote myself.....

Today I checked and the LH Flight form IAd went back to F4.. and about 12 PM 2 seats were released so I changed from EWR-FRA to IAD-FRA.. The agent originally stated that would be 520,000 miles but no change fee. I reminded her gently that the award type was staying the same. She did figure things out eventually, including charging me the change fee. this avoids the amtrak transfer, which is nice because I was watching train status yesterday and everything was delayed.. so I was franking out.. no problems making the change....

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Feb 19, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:09 pm

From (pre-devaluation booking):

SIN-NRT NH I
NRT-SFO O

To:

SIN-NRT UA O
NRT-SFO O

$75 change fee and $9.83 tax.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The God's of fortune just struck me.

Old itin (booked before 2/3) included ORD-BOS-ZRH-BCN in business saver, originally priced at 50K miles. UA/Swiss/Swiss

Just found ORD-BRU-BCN UA/Brussels in FIRST saver for only 17,500 more miles, which would equal the old F saver rate of 67,500. The fees were actually slightly less, so no extra dollars.

The Brussels leg hasn't shown up on their website yet, but that's another matter.

Last edited by milepig; Feb 19, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
If there is no saver space, you will have to be rebooked as a standard award and pay the new, higher standard award rate.
Thanks! I had a feeling it was that.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:17 pm

$75 change fee NOT charged!!

I have Non-Elite status with United. I successfully changed my pre-Jan 31st booked itinerary online last week (old award chart - 32,500 miles) without incurring any extra miles (new award chart - 40,000 miles). Note that I had reserved Economy Saver seats to begin with and the itinerary changes were as follows:
1. Date of travel
2. Same airlines, but chose different flights

However, I was not charged the $75 change fee per passenger as listed at http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx. I am a General member because of my Non-Elite status, correct? So why did my credit card not get charged?

I am concerned because I am planning on cancelling my credit card next month, and if United tries to charge my card at a later time, they will be unsuccessful. Will that result in my tickets getting cancelled?

Any advise?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
kannon - congrats. Enjoy the TG 380 F if you've not flown it before. There's something very wonderful about sitting in the F lounge in front of the cabin & sipping on Dom.

Thanks, I am looking forward to it. On my way to CDG as we speak.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Two question...

1. I have EWR-CDG booked in UA F for next month. If inside 14 days a NYC-FRA/MUC-CDG routing opens up in LH F would I be able to change from UA to LH or perhaps even move my departure up a day or two without triggering the new rates?

2. On my return, I am booked CDG-EWR in UA J. Again, if a LH F option opens up, is there anyway to move myself from J to F without triggering the new absurd partner F rates?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:42 pm

Could not make a simple date change

Total waste of time. I used my husband's miles (1K) and bought pre Feb 1.

Tried to make a simple date change from Thurs to Friday. Same origin and destination.

First agent: No, more miles needed. She talked to supervisor and said she would do a one time change for me.

I got the receipt and she made NO CHANGE. New ticket numbers issued but nothing was changed.

I called back right away. Second agent: This is asking for more miles, let me price this. Came back and said supervisor told her that I need more miles.

She said she talked to the first agent and said she never promised me or something? WHAT?

I asked her to change it back and forget it. Really disappointed since United Insider said this is allowed. Other FT members also successfully changed tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Ok, so as this is evolving, if I wanted to change EWR-CDG in UA F to JFK-FRA-VIE-EVN and depart NYC two days earlier, is this ok because the departure and arrival regions are the same?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Very simple change call for me, return flight on a round trip europe via asia (on a F award)

Original:

CDG-YUL AC J
YUL-LAX AC Y

to

CDG-FRA LH J
FRA-LAX LH J 747-8i

Doubt F space will open on this routing, but very stoked to fly the intercontinental nonetheless!

Last edited by exmike; Feb 19, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.