Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I was able to reverse the routing without a reprice. I originally had an award booked in J from PVG-BKK, changed it to BKK-PVG.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by helloflyer
I requested a much simpler change yesterday. Same origin, destination, class, and even flight numbers. Only need to change the return flight date.

Even that took me 3 calls, 3 hours total, and 3 different answers. Each agent gave me different set of rules and exceptions.

I did it after 7:30pm EST.

I just called again this morning and the agent was very nice and efficient. I don't know if calling during business hours is better. Just to give you a data point.

Good luck
May I ask why did you have to call? Did you try to on line first?

I have succesfully changed the travel date online, and also made a second change of to yet another date with different carriers on line. Further, when I tested changing an I (J) to a O (F), united.com asks only 10K miles, entirely consistent with the pre-2/3 table.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Successful Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after Feb. 3

First EWR LIS AMS onTAP
Then EWR FRA AMS with LH
Now EWR MUC AMS with LH ( prefer MUC and chance of new business)
All online no mile charged only the change fees taxes etc
BTW the connection MUC to AMS was full for business so I have coach now ( not that it matters much). Will I be wait listed for business or "stuck" with coach?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
May I ask why did you have to call? Did you try to on line first?

I have succesfully changed the travel date online, and also made a second change of to yet another date with different carriers on line. Further, when I tested changing an I (J) to a O (F), united.com asks only 10K miles, entirely consistent with the pre-2/3 table.
I didn't try online first because I was worried of the random website error. Also, I did not expect so much hassle because it's a simple date change. I used my husband's miles many times before and the 1K line agents were always excellent.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Successfully moved cabin from J to F, same day IAD - FRA for the old saver chart difference 17.5k. I had to search from scratch, not as a change to find the space.... FT has taught me well. 5 mins on the 1k line, done.

Now I'm in the nose of LH's 748i. The last battle has given me a moral victory in the lost war of mile devaluations.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by helloflyer
I didn't try online first because I was worried of the random website error. Also, I did not expect so much hassle because it's a simple date change. I used my husband's miles many times before and the 1K line agents were always excellent.
The lesson is: try change on line first before calling. I have not found any problem with changes on line using old savers award rate, including date change, route change, change from I(J) to O(F) awards, change of an already changed ticket,.. All miles were based on the old chart.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:52 pm

The lesson is: try change on line first before calling. I have not found any problem with changes on line using old savers award rate, including date change, route change, change from I(J) to O(F) awards, change of an already changed ticket,.. All miles were based on the old chart.
I have usually booked a 7 or 8 segment award and not once have I been able to do so on-line because of some statement like no availability even when the desired flights were available. I would like try 10 to 20 times before calling. Is an on-line change easier because you may only be changing 2 or 3 flights?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I booked my ticket before the new chart went into effect. Changed date on my outbound from Feb. 26th to the 16th. FLL-ORD-FRA-BKK (stopover) BKK-MNL Return: CEB-ICN-IST-ORD-FLL. Now I want to change my return city instead of CEB to HKG. Agent is telling me that since I already made a change to my reservation, and now I'm on my second change to the reservation, I am subjected to the new mileage chart?

Is this correct?

Last edited by Edgerfly; Feb 22, 2014 at 1:31 am
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Agent is telling me that since I already made a change to my reservation, and now I'm on my second change to the reservation, I am subjected to the new mileage chart?

Is this correct?
There are reports that some agents have been writing "one time exception — rebook next changes at higher rates" notes in passengers' PNRs.

This reported behavior is not consistent with what UA told us they would do. I believe there has been no response from UA to various reports that agent behavior is inconsistent with what UA told us they would do.

Per nickab's advice above, if you want to try calling back again & trying to get an agent to help you out, go for it, but try to tread a delicate line in avoiding agents who are likely to leave dangerous PNR notes.

I'll be looking to make a few changes in March, so am adopting a "wait and see" attitude here.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Able to switch to LH F and clear into LH F from J

No problems at all and I have changed the record 3 times. Switched from UA to LH F then the F seat opened up to AUH so changed that. Return from AUH opened up in F so changed that last night. The UA res agent was so nice. He told me to be sure to go to the LH FC Lounge.

I'm just waiting for my flt back to the US to open up on LH in F and then I would have changed all 4 segments with no problems. I did try to do it online but it wouldn't do it.

I booked this originally the day after the deval was announced.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
No problems at all and I have changed the record 3 times. Switched from UA to LH F then the F seat opened up to AUH so changed that. Return from AUH opened up in F so changed that last night. The UA res agent was so nice. He told me to be sure to go to the LH FC Lounge.

I'm just waiting for my flt back to the US to open up on LH in F and then I would have changed all 4 segments with no problems. I did try to do it online but it wouldn't do it.

I booked this originally the day after the deval was announced.
So your original ticket was LH J but you paid LH F ? hoping F will open up within 14 days of departure then call to upgrade from your j to f?.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ual902
So your original ticket was LH J but you paid LH F ? hoping F will open up within 14 days of departure then call to upgrade from your j to f?.
The original was a redemption all in F. The first leg, confirmed in F on UA and then J for the LH flights and F on the return on UA. As my redemption was for F as soon as the bucket opened up I was able to claim an F seat on LH, instead of the J seat I was in, as the miles had been deducted for an F seat.

Changed the Airline from UA F to LH in F when the LH F opened up.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
No, I have not found this to be true at all. I just tried to change a flight on- line. My flight consists of three segments. However, I only want to change the last segment and it will not let me do this unless all three segments are available in the system. I have an economy segment and F is now available. (It is an F award.) This cannot be done on-line and I wasted 10 minutes trying to do it. The lesson: call!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Today was able to change an I award booked in January from:

FCO/FRA/YYZ/SFO -- LH first leg, other 2 AC, with overnights in FRA and YYZ
to
FCO/MUC/SFO -- LH both legs, overnight in MUC, so get home a day earlier.

Repriced correctly, but .bomb crapped out at the last step. Previous experience was that I could go back a page and try again, but today no dice.

Called UA, found that the automated system did have the itinerary change, and the res agent fixed by reissuing the ticket in under a minute. When I thanked her, she commented, "The easiest thing I'll have to do today".

And, LH has the changed itinerary in their system marked as confirmed, which as we know is the only thing that really matters.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
I have usually booked a 7 or 8 segment award and not once have I been able to do so on-line because of some statement like no availability even when the desired flights were available. I would like try 10 to 20 times before calling. Is an on-line change easier because you may only be changing 2 or 3 flights?
You are right. Yes, my reservations involve far fewer segments than yours. I was amazed on how easy to change reservations: dates, carriers, routes, classes, and repeated changes post-2/3 on the same reservation, all without running into the new award table. I found this surprising in view of how .bomb was behaving before. Too bad it does not work for many-segmenet award reservations, but for simpleer reseravations the online system sure does not look like a bomb, rather it is some of the phone (including 1K) agents and some of their supervisors that look pretty bombed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.