Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
From (pre-devaluation booking):
SFO-TPE BR J
TPE-BKK TG J
BKK-CMB TG Y

To:
SFO-TPE BR J
TPE-BKK TG J
BKK-CMB TG J

Called, explaining it was a J award, last leg just became available in J (Thanks ExpertFlyer!). Agent checked with supervisor, last leg cabin changed to J with no recalc or change fee. Maybe because it was Thai Smile?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Routing? And were there any F segments in it in the first place, or was it a J award entirely
Domestic Y and over water J switched to domestic Y over water F.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
Domestic Y and over water J switched to domestic Y over water F.
Wow, I'm guessing that is not what the award charts said

BTW - just completed my first post 2/3 change

Old Award:
LAX-YUL AC J
YUL-BRU AC J
BRU-FRA LH J
FRA-BKK TG F

New award:
SNA-PHX US J
PHX-ORD US J
ORD-FRA UA F
FRA-BKK TG F

There was also a date change there and managed to remove a red eye flight and a 12+ hour layover in YUL! No mention of additional miles at all. Already fully ticketed. Taxes went down with removal of BRU transit.

I expect to be continuously tweaking this award as better options become available (gotta use the Plat status to the max!). Really hoping for LH F to open up instead. ANd the return is currently on CA F and would like to sub in something else (OZ or NH F???)
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by villox
I have a 10 segment US-S Asia F award for September with 1 segment YUL-MUC booked on LH in I.

I called because they've opened up O space through the end of the schedule and I asked if I could switch to First.

She found the space, and after about 45 minutes on hold talking to the supervisor came back and said they would do an even exchange and move me as a one-time exception because they should have charged more miles (260,000 per person, up from 140k). I didn't argue, though because she used the word "one-time exception" I fear that she might have made a note in the record. Which is too bad as I still have one segment I'm hoping to move up to F at the end of the trip
Although I try to use the least amount of segments for comfort, it is nice to get 10 if needed. A few years back I was involuntarily re-routed and involuntarily downgraded, and when I called to be re-routed in first, I got hit with the "Dreaded Notes."
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It's self serving to say so, but I think it would be a heck of a lot easier for UA to say that for any change (without restrictions) made to a reservation originally booked prior to Feb 3, the old pricing rules will apply. The amount of money this would cost is going to be miniscule compared to the time and effort required for checking with a supervisor on every change and explaining to and dealing with upset customers when changes can't be made. It should be obvious from reading the posts in this thread, that even if UA were to publish a clear set of rules for changes, agents and customers still wouldn't understand it.

And.... the cost to UA would in fact be miniscule because it's not like customers are going to drop reservations and rebook at the new higher mileage levels if they are told a particular change can't be made. That won't happen, customers instead will spend an extra hour on the phone with an agent figuring out a change that can be made.

Wow, I'm guessing that is not what the award charts said
You know what, I did this online.

RT Award F. Outbound SE Asia>US TPAC. Return US>SE Asia TATL. Mixed UA and *A metal.

After flying the outbound, called to change the return date and to change the first outbound (TATL) segment from UA to LH and to change the US origination but not the desitnation (FRA) on that first segment.

First call - Agent was first told I could not change the routing. I asked her double check, she then was told I could not change the carrier. HUACA.

Second call - Change went through no questions. Took about 10 minutes.

So bottom line, I was able to change date, routing, add an OJ, switch carrier and do it all on two ocean itinerary after flying the outbound.

Seems pretty flexible. Would be nice to be able to do it in one call.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 16, 2014 at 9:11 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Old itin:
EWR-NRT (UA), non-stop C

New itin (new date):
EWR-ZRH(UA)-NRT(LX) - all in C

Agent told me it was repricing at the new mileage levels but with little prompting she said that she was pretty sure I shouldn't have to pay it. She spent a good amount of time trying to look up the new policy herself, then gave up and called a supervisor. Supervisor confirmed the change was ok and they reissued the ticket. Took about 25 minutes total.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

I read over this thread and I'm still not sure I can change my flights without a refare. I was told when I booked this flight I could move into F if a seat opended up with no refare, however after 50 mins on hold with UA I was told it would be another 70,000 miles.

Booked pre Feb 3rd

ORD-CDG UA "O"
CDG-BKK TG "I"
BKK-HAN TG "I"

First class on the CDG-BKK has opened up so I thought I would not have to pay additional miles as the entire award is already locked into the 70,000 rate.

Per UAINSIDER

Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)

My award type has not changed, just the cabin.

Last edited by kannon99; Feb 17, 2014 at 8:32 pm
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kannon99
I read over this thread and I'm still not sure I can change my flights without a refare. I was told when I booked this flight I could move into F if a seat opended up with no refare, however after 50 mins on hold with UA I was told it would be another 70,000 miles.

Booked pre Feb 3rd

ORD-CDG UA "O"
CDG-BKK TG "I"
BKK-HAN TG "I"

First class on the CDG-BKK has opened up so I thought I would not have to pay additional miles as the entire award is already locked into the 70,000 rate.

Per UAINSIDER

Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:

Hang up and call again - bad agent
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by kannon99

Booked pre Feb 3rd

ORD-CDG UA "O"
CDG-BKK TG "I"
BKK-HAN TG "I"

Per UAINSIDER

I think you can make the change, it is just that the United person who made the ambiguous post made the conflicting statement:

"cabin, region, and award type can't change."

I think that UA person meant you can't change to an award cabin greater than the original award cabin level. I suspect that UA's internal memos are as bad as their external communication. If you have a F award, UA should clarify that you can move up to F when it opens up.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:25 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

IAD-FRA UA F-> Changed to EWR-FRA LH F
FRA-ZRH LH C
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-BKK TG F
BKK-CGK TG C-> Changed to BKK-DPS TG C

KUL-BKK LH C -> Deleted
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-IAD LH I

I made a lot of changes. Origin, Destination etc etc.. All keeping with the same award type. The agent didn't blink, told me the miles were the same and just as I was about to give her my CC # the line went dead... I waited about 3 minutes in hope she would call me back to no avail... My itinerary online showed the changes with a message to call United to have the ticket reissued.

Calling back the next agent said everything looked ok. When pressed, he again said that everything looked ok... I politely said thank you and hung up...

The next agent had a tough tough time getting the change processed. She kept thinking it was a new award to be issued but I reiterated that it was merely a change to an existing award. She had to go to the rate desk a couple of times to get the change processed. All and all the entire process took me about 1.5 hours... It took so long and for some reason was so complicated that they waived the change fees (Yeah!) but she did read me a disclaimer that any additional changes would cause the ticket to reprice at the new levels (at least that's what her supervisor told her)... she, however, thought that that didn't sound right and thought as long as the award type stayed the same and I made changes it would be fine...

I had really wanted IAD-FRA in LH F.. it stayed at F4 for days and I figured at T-3 it would open up (as had been the historical trend). I wasn't exactly sure when they would magically release the seats but I went to bed around 10 PM EST and woke up at 4 AM EST... when I woke up it was at F2... oh well, that's why Plan B exists (though in all honesty I think this might be plan D or so).

Now, I need to get to EWR... Add on DCA-EWR or take amtrak.. thoughts? I'm BWI based so I could actually leave my house later if I took amtrak... but there's only about 2 hours in EWR for the transfer....

FDW
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I was ticketed:

PDX-SFO-FRA (UA F)
FRA-AMS STOPOVER (LH C)
AMS-FRA-BKK-KTM (LH C/TG F/TG C)
KTM-IST-IAH-PDX (TK C/UA Y)

Availability opened this morning on LH F SEA-FRA, I called to change outbound to
PDX-SEA-FRA-AMS (UA Y/LH F/LH C)

Rest of the itinerary was unchanged.

The first time I called agent said fine, will re-ticket, but ticketing never happened.

Called back, went around and around with agents, was told adamantly was told that it would require additional miles. I fought and fought, and they were insistent. I ticketed at the new levels, but now want to fight to get those 80K miles back.

Help, how can I do this?

Last edited by noah; Feb 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by noah
I was ticketed:

PDX-SFO-FRA (UA F)
FRA-AMS STOPOVER (LH C)
AMS-FRA-BKK-KTM (LH C/TG F/TG C)
KTM-IST-IAH-PDX (TK C/UA Y)

Availability opened this morning on LH F SEA-FRA, I called to change outbound to
PDX-SEA-FRA-AMS (UA Y/LH F/LH C)

Rest of the itinerary was unchanged.

The first time I called agent said fine, will re-ticket, but ticketing never happened.

Called back, went around and around with agents, was told adamantly was told that it would require additional miles. I fought and fought, and they were insistent. I ticketed at the new levels, but now want to fight to get those 80K miles back.

Help, how can I do this?
good luck getting the miles back once they take it. Personally, I would have HUACA until I found an agent that was competent enough to modify without additional miles.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lazard
good luck getting the miles back once they take it. Personally, I would have HUACA until I found an agent that was competent enough to modify without additional miles.
Thats what I would have done, but the supervisor I spoke to said, "You have two choices, you can go back to what you had, and I will note the record so you can't try to make this change again, or we can re-price at the new levels".

I'm hoping that UA Insider team can help.

Frustrating beyond belief that there is no clarity with the phone agents. They read me their rules "Any changes to region, carrier or cabin requires repricing".
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by noah
Thats what I would have done, but the supervisor I spoke to said, "You have two choices, you can go back to what you had, and I will note the record so you can't try to make this change again, or we can re-price at the new levels".
Ahh, the dreaded reservation memo! This happened to me a little while ago. Fortunately back then, I was able to refund and rebook the exact same itinerary since it auto-priced.

I'd recommend calling back and requesting a supervisor. Explain your situation in an apologetic way while saying that you've been with United for a while and are planning a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and hoping that supervisor is nicer than the one you got last.

Lessons learned from my experience with this: If you're trying to change a fragile reservation that is important to you, make sure you're talking to an agent that sounds sharp and nice. Don't try to make risky changes outside of business hours -- the best agents probably won't be around, the MP desk isn't open, and other desks (like ticketing) might not be open.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:01 pm

Hang up and call again - bad agent
Thanks, I went ahead and called back later in the night, at first I got the same answer of no but before long he said I would just have to pay the change fee.

So for the record: (booked pre Feb 3)

ORD-CDG UA "O"
CDG-BKK TG "I"
BKK-HAN TG "I"

Changed to:

ORD-CDG UA "O"
CDG-BKK TG "0"
BKK-HAN TG "I"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.