Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimmyz
... As a result, we permanently closed your account, cancelled all accrued mileage, cancelled any outstanding award tickets issued using mileage as form of payment as well as downgraded reservations using upgrades from your account. ....
As others in this thread (yours just the latest case) have recounted -- UA treats violations of the MP T&Cs harshly but within the T&Cs and no warning is required.

If you want help of this group, you will need to be 100% forthcoming, those that have not, have gotten an unsympathetic response. However, you also need to realize UA reads these forums and can put 1+1 together and get 2.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Define "upgrade advice". Were these strangers upgraded with instruments from your account?

Last edited by jimmyz; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm sure that our resident contract-law experts will chime in shortly.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by kb1992
More detailed info is needed.

Still, I am shocked that they would shut down a GS account.
I'm not. I can't speak for all carriers, but United views such an infraction on the part of a GS/1K as more severe than if committed by a lower/non-elite.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"With each purchase of my upgrade travel consultation, you will receive one UA Systemwide Global Premiere Upgrade as a free gift. You are only paying for my travel consultation, not the upgrades." They did use my upgrade instruments -- although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well .......
So you sold GPUs -- the wording to make it appears otherwise did not and will not change the situation and you did it multiple times. The wording clearly shows you understand the restrictions - but nevertheless you clearly validated the T&Cs and will have to pay the penalty allowed.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
"With each purchase of my upgrade travel consultation, you will receive one UA Systemwide Global Premiere Upgrade as a free gift. You are only paying for my travel consultation, not the upgrades." They did use my upgrade instruments -- although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well .......
Distinction without a difference. United gave you some of the very best elite benefits on Earth and you acted stupidly with the privileges given. Fess up in full, apologize, and hope for mercy.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...They did use my upgrade instruments -- although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well .......
No, they gave you the money primarily to get the upgrades from you. If you weren't giving them the upgrades, they almost certainly wouldn't have given you a dime. UA (logically) concluded you were selling upgrades.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As others in this thread (yours just the latest case) have recounted -- UA treats violations of the MP T&Cs harshly but within the T&Cs and no warning is required.

If you want help of this group, you will need to be 100% forthcoming, those that have not, have gotten an unsympathetic response. However, you also need to realize UA reads these forums and can put 1+1 together and get 2.
Thank so much for the advice and help!

As to what MPCompliance accused me of: "We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold". I come out 100% clean -- I never sold any miles and have only redeemed for myself and my family members.

Last edited by jimmyz; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:15 pm
RNE

...although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice.
Theoretically you're SOL.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Distinction without a difference. United gave you some of the very best elite benefits on Earth and you acted stupidly with the privileges given. ...
And likely sold the "consulting advice" to an UA compliance department employee. Using e-bay or craiglist?

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
.... Fess up in full, apologize, and hope for mercy.
At this ban UA could ban the individual from MP and/or travel. So if travel is an issue, then that should be the goal and there others things should be considered loss causes. Professional help might be appropriate to handle the negotiation.

... As to what MPCompliance accused me of: "We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold". I come out 100% clean -- I never sold any miles and have only redeemed for myself and my family members.

However, to the violation of MP rules “The Mileage Plus Program Rules clearly indicate that “the sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited.” I did sell my travel advice: "With each purchase of my upgrade travel consultation, you will receive one UA Systemwide Global Premiere Upgrade as a free gift. You are only paying for my travel consultation, not the upgrades." Although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well, they did use my upgrade instruments. ...
If you try that approach you will get nowhere. You knew what you where doing, you knew it as a violation and to try to cast it as anything else with not help your case (and likely will hurt it).

... But I didn’t know the penalty would be so harsh :-( I thought only use of the award tickets would result such penalty as MPCompliance stated.
The penalty is clearly spelled out -- you quoted part of it above.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:30 pm Reason: self merge
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thank so much for the advice and help!

As to what MPCompliance accused me of: "We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold". I come out 100% clean -- I never sold any miles and have only redeemed for myself and my family members.

However, to the violation of MP rules “The Mileage Plus Program Rules clearly indicate that “the sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited.” I did sell my travel advice: "With each purchase of my upgrade travel consultation, you will receive one UA Systemwide Global Premiere Upgrade as a free gift. You are only paying for my travel consultation, not the upgrades." Although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well, they did use my upgrade instruments. But I didn’t know the penalty would be so harsh :-( I thought only use of the award tickets would result such penalty as MPCompliance stated.
Well, you can call UA up and say you only sold GPUs, not miles.

The "selling mileage" charge is probably an example of UA's propensity to cut and paste the wrong phrase in a communication. I'm pretty sure they've nabbed you on the GPU sales and that is what has probably been noted in your account.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Dear all, I'm in desperate for help!

I’m a GS with over $1.5m lifetime miles with United. Just received an email from MPCompliance:

We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold. The Mileage Plus Program Rules clearly indicate that “the sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.”

As a result, we permanently closed your account, cancelled all accrued mileage, cancelled any outstanding award tickets issued using mileage as form of payment as well as downgraded reservations using upgrades from your account.

Be extremely honest, I never sold any mileage from my account and only redeemed for myself and family members; however, I did sell some upgrade advice to friends and some strangers last year and take money for the advice – strictly speaking, it might be considered as a “sale”. However, the reason for closure is “We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold”. The penalty is too harsh and without any pre-warning. Is there any good way that I can speak to United and get my account back?

Greatly appreciate it!
Seems like the right penalty to me.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be extremely honest, I never sold any mileage from my account and only redeemed for myself and family members; however, I did sell some upgrade advice to friends and some strangers last year and take money for the advice – strictly speaking, it might be considered as a “sale”. However, the reason for closure is “We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold”. The penalty is too harsh and without any pre-warning. Is there any good way that I can speak to United and get my account back!
I think the part of your post above which I have put in bold type is UA's view of the situation. Their view seems reasonable. The penalty is certainly harsh, but they may have done a full investigation and found the behavior to be pervasive. For example, they may have looked at the eBay account the "upgrade advice" was sold from (if it was sold on eBay) to see how much other "upgrade advice" was sold from that account and then matched up those transactions to upgrade certificates debited from your account. GS upgrades are especially valuable, so UA might take a very hard stance against the sale of "advice" relating to GS upgrades.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:40 pm
RNE

I think the large quantity of miles in the suspected malefactor's account played a part in United's eagerness to lower the boom. Had he had 15k, meh.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:43 pm

Sorry, but I agree that UA did the right thing. It's listed in the T&C. Though I understand what you were trying to do, you ultimately, and should have known, that you were selling the GPU for the most part.

In the end, you can try calling UA and asking for forgiveness or a lesser penalty, but I wouldn't expect much. Your best bet, IMO, is to quickly try and status match to another airline with your "GS qualifications" still in hand.

As a side note, UA can find ways to track our FT handles to our accounts, and in the end, you basically have admitted to guilt on here.

Lastly, I suggest you think legal right now too. Those individuals that "purchased" your GPUs could have them cancelled and they could be coming back against you now for damage or loss of services if they were not already used, as well as UA could go back against them to pay the costs for the upgrade (as I want to say it's within their terms that they shouldn't be purchasing them as well).

Last edited by dank0014; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.