FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:21 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jimmyz
Thank so much for the advice and help!

As to what MPCompliance accused me of: "We identified mileage from your account was bartered or sold". I come out 100% clean -- I never sold any miles and have only redeemed for myself and my family members.

However, to the violation of MP rules “The Mileage Plus Program Rules clearly indicate that “the sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited.” I did sell my travel advice: "With each purchase of my upgrade travel consultation, you will receive one UA Systemwide Global Premiere Upgrade as a free gift. You are only paying for my travel consultation, not the upgrades." Although strangers theoretically only paid for my advice, well, they did use my upgrade instruments. But I didn’t know the penalty would be so harsh :-( I thought only use of the award tickets would result such penalty as MPCompliance stated.
Well, you can call UA up and say you only sold GPUs, not miles.

The "selling mileage" charge is probably an example of UA's propensity to cut and paste the wrong phrase in a communication. I'm pretty sure they've nabbed you on the GPU sales and that is what has probably been noted in your account.