Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GregMM
  • Offer apparently targeted at UA elites who flew US last year and credited miles to MileagePlus (possibly targeted only at those who bought premium tickets on US and credited to MP). You can only register for a promotion for which you were targeted, so this will only help if you were targeted but for some reason didn't get or lost the email.
  • No offer for people whose primary address is non-US
  • 4 RPU + 4 UC passes
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTW
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs + 20K PQM
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTY
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs only, no PQM
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTU
  • Platinums get instant upgrade to 1K till 05/31 with 35K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+4RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTT
  • Golds get instant upgrade to Platinum till 05/31 with 18K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+2RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTS
  • Slivers get instant upgrade to Gold till 05/31 with 12.5K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+15,000 bonus award miles also)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTR
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Air Houston
It's smart of UA to not offer a code. Otherwise everyone on FT would be registering and they'd be over-run with mileage runners.
That's not how the normal codes work.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:22 pm

Do Email Subscriptions have anything to do with receiving these offers? In other words should I enable my MP subscription if I hope to get something like this in the future? Maybe that's why I never get these...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Indeed a slap in the face to those who have to spend $7.5K and fly 75K to just get 2 RPUs, especially after they drastically cut the number of RPUS/GPUs 1Ks receive.

Honestly, why is it that they screw over 1Ks over and over again in favor of others? I don't get it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Targeted: For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Are the emails still flowing? Or is it over?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
That's not how the normal codes work.
They might be getting away from codes because the new site probably doesn't use codes. Probably using unique URLs for each person to customize the offer and may be the standard going forward.

Originally Posted by limey1K
Here I was waiting for Feb 1 to roll around and hopefully the ranks of 1Ks thinning a bit and they pull this stunt. Conventional wisdom would indicate that there are a higher number of elites in each group as you move from GS->1K->PLAT->GOLD. So what does this mean to UG rates due to unearned RPUs, check-in lines, boarding lanes etc when you take a lower tier group, offer them 3 months of the next higher status and thereby potentially double (?) the size of "new" group? I think the next 90 days might be an absolute train wreck.
While I was hoping the same, looking at the reality of things, UA wants to make money and has little interest in protecting the levels. The coat difference between the levels for UA is probably not that much (esp with the mileage devaluations). If people are willing to pay money for the status, then they will continue with these offers. Why would UA care to protect the upgrade status as long as they get the money? They already protect their top spenders with GS anyway.

Last edited by edcho; Jan 24, 2014 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This really is a shame. I was hoping the ranks would be thinned after 2/1. Now, not only are they not thinned, they're dishing out free RPUs.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I just received the email. Only had an offer of 4 RPUs - no mention of miles. There isn't a code, just a "Register Now" link.

What I find very strange is the language in the Terms & Conditions (see below). I made 1K at the end of December, so why would I need "Complimentary Premier 1K"?

1. Offer valid for original recipients of the invitation from MileagePlus.
2. Registration is required before travel through the promotion registration website. Members who register will be awarded complimentary Premier 1K status within 5-7 days after the registration and also receive 4 Regional Premier® Upgrades in their MileagePlus account.
3. Offer valid for qualifying paid travel completed from the registration date through May 31, 2014.
4. To keep the complimentary Premier 1K status for the remainder of the 2014 Program year, you will need to earn 35,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 40 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) by May 31, 2014 on flights operated by United, United Express®, Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Columbia.
5. Registered members who successfully complete qualifying travel will also receive 2 Regional Premier® Upgrades after the promotion period ends on May 31, 2014.
6. Participation does not guarantee Premier status for the entire 2014 Program year.
7. Offer is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights or Copa Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
8. Qualifying activities must be posted to the MileagePlus account in order to qualify.
9. Flights on award travel tickets do not qualify for this offer.
10. Regional Premier Upgrades will be deposited into registered member’s MileagePlus account within 2-4 weeks after the qualifying activity. Each Regional Premier Upgrade is valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade and will expire on January 31, 2015. Standard Regional Premier Upgrade terms apply. These terms can be changed at any time with or without notice and can be viewed at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...gupgrades.aspx.
11. Offer may be earned for a maximum of one time.
12. Class-of-service bonus Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS) will count toward this offer; however other bonus PQM/PQS, promotional PQM/PQS, and/or credit card PQM do not count toward this offer. Other restrictions may apply.
13. Offer is not valid on government fares.
14. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the 50 United States and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change.
15. Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
16. Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. United may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the United MileagePlus Program and/or the Premier Program, including without limitation the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements of the Premier Program, and/or the revisions of calculations (including any estimates), will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com/mileageplus.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA1K, SPG Plat
They don't use codes or unique URL's, you go to the site to claim and enter your MP#... it then tells you if you get it or not... i copied my link, may work :

http://news.united.com/servlet/forml...WDVEGvG0b8RAVR
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:05 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by Phillip Dade
They don't use codes or unique URL's, you go to the site to claim and enter your MP#... it then tells you if you get it or not... i copied my link, may work :

http://news.united.com/servlet/forml...WDVEGvG0b8RAVR
The link worked but my registration was denied.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the "Fast Track" for flying xx,xxx miles thread should not be merged with this one. This one is for getting PQMs and RPUs for just registering. It is targeted so I don't think it will help if people share the code.

It is pretty sad and funny that people get an e-mail from UA for something nice and think it is phishing

I got one for 20K PQM + 4 RPU. I cleared 1K with ample space last year and already flew 15K PQM this year. I am not sure why I got it - especially it is not asking for anything in return.

The way I see it is PQM is not meaningful anymore. That by itself probably don't get you anything (it seems it is unknown right now if people who reach the PQM will get RPUs or GPUs without getting the PQDs). The 4 RPUs are nice and can probably come in handy for me.

Like another poster, I wonder if this is related to US flyers. I did have 6 US roundtrips last year and live at a US hub. If that is the case, I would rather that UA spend some effort improving the flight offering (larger aircraft, more frequencies) than this thing.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I am 1K also, but no such luck for me. Is there any commonality between the folks who did receive it. As the last poster mentioned, they've been flying lots already this year and cleared with no problem last year, so it doesn't appear to be targeted at bringing someone back.

Do any of the targeted folks live in a hub city ?
Do all of them live in AA/DL hub cities ?

etc
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by username
Like another poster, I wonder if this is related to US flyers. I did have 6 US roundtrips last year and live at a US hub.
If you are correct, then "the best customers of United" are those who flew US last year. I wonder which airline one has to cheat on UA with this year to become the best customer.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I just took the bump from platinum to 1k.

We will extend your Premier 1K status through January 31, 2015, and give you another 2 Regional Premier Upgrades when you earn 35,000 Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) or 40 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) by May 31, 2014.

Register today and enjoy your Premier 1K status. Thank you for choosing United, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon. .
Does this mean then that those who got this email and who fly 35,000 PQM by end of May are exempt from PQD requirements??? Seems the MP system is now free falling into confusion. Do you buy bulk tickets as well?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Targeted: For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

What if I flew AA or DL last year after being Gold or higher past 10 years? Seems like the targeting algorithm is pretty clunky.

If someone who rarely flies at all gets an offer who cares, they are unlikely to devalue elite status since they don't travel much period. The idea that a 5,000 mile flier will suddenly throw down and bling it up with GPUs on M fares is ridiculous.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ani90
Does this mean then that those who got this email and who fly 35,000 PQM by end of May are exempt from PQD requirements??? Seems the MP system is now free falling into confusion. Do you buy bulk tickets as well?
There is no PQD requirement for status expiring January, 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.