Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GregMM
  • Offer apparently targeted at UA elites who flew US last year and credited miles to MileagePlus (possibly targeted only at those who bought premium tickets on US and credited to MP). You can only register for a promotion for which you were targeted, so this will only help if you were targeted but for some reason didn't get or lost the email.
  • No offer for people whose primary address is non-US
  • 4 RPU + 4 UC passes
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTW
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs + 20K PQM
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTY
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs only, no PQM
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTU
  • Platinums get instant upgrade to 1K till 05/31 with 35K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+4RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTT
  • Golds get instant upgrade to Platinum till 05/31 with 18K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+2RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTS
  • Slivers get instant upgrade to Gold till 05/31 with 12.5K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+15,000 bonus award miles also)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTR
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
nothing as usual here in SMF/RNO

75 segments last year, ~10 on US and the rest on UA or UAX

1K within spitting distance of 125k tier extra RPUs

only four PNRs on the books with UA for 2014 so far (average cpm 2.5) and will only fly 2 of the four

9 PNRs issued so far on DL
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Stop asking for codes people, there are no codes, just a link to register.

My offer was instant Platinum (barely made Gold last year and flew half the time on US) +2 RPU's. Need to fly 18,000 miles by May 31st,2014 to extend until JAN2015.

MileagePlus Terms & Conditions:
1. Offer valid for original recipients of the invitation from MileagePlus.
But does it show up if, instead of registering via the link, you go to the relevant page on ua.com that displays what offers you're eligible for? Looks like that page may have changed as it doesn't appear "personalized" as it has in the past.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by goodeats21
same here. guess they are training us to fly US Air more...

smart....not.
same here. I genuinely don't get United. I feel like they are rewarded lesser valued customers (ones who fly other metal or not as frequently) at the cost of their best customers (the ones that fly weekly or high value). all these RPUs out there will make it harder for me to get a CPC this year. That doesn't seem right.

I have been a 1K for 5 years now and cannot remember the last time I qualified for a promotion, yet the cost of redemption keeps going up. At least at Delta, their miles may not be worth much, but there are many bonuses to be had. same for AA with their qualification bonuses and double EQM offers.

Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by hellmutt
US (SFO) based flyer
2012 Status: 1K
2013 Status: Premier Platinum
2014 Status: Premier Gold
2015 Status: ?

Same story as everyone else.
2011: the last of the golden years on United
2012: Merger sucked, travel in spring disrupted like mad, I got to 93K miles and didn't qualify for 1K. Asked for consideration given all their issues, got the middle finger in response.
2013: Tested some other airlines, got to 60K miles and qualified for Gold
2014: Didn't get any kind of offer telling me my business was appreciated, continued flying other airlines, probably fall to regular Premier.

Honestly if I weren't so close to 1MM it would be a no brainer, but I'm at 888K and I do see some value in lifetime status (I'm 41). But who knows if it will even be worth anything the way they continue to devalue that program too.
Bolding mine.

2011 was an anomaly. UA had to be "prettied up" for sale/merger, so things were running relatively-smoothly, but we still had in place e-certs being passed out like candy on Halloween, a practice that kept us with UA during the dark years. We seem to forget just how unreliable UA was at one time. It was the norm that my flights out of SFO were delayed anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours for all manner of "mechanical" issues, sometimes little things that don't make an aircraft unsafe (allowable by regulations) but the pilots had had enough and weren't going to take anymore. We forget how much money United tried to save by deferring maintenance and not getting new planes.

United manipulated us then to keep us in their program. They're doing the same again, this time more-selectively. As if they actually have a functioning IT department now. Who knew. But of course, this is FT, so we'll forget about the bad things in the past, and not recognize that the marketing department, which we continuously bashed (for good reason), may be getting its act together.

Sucks for me. I don't fit into a box that United looks at and says hey, let's throw a bone or two at Mike Jacoubowsky so he'll stay with us. My flying is likely too consistent, too predictable.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Nothing for me, either. I think I fly them too much to be worth the effort.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
lowly platinum in SFO/SMF. as usual, no love letter from UA.

edited to add - i had US segments credited to UA in 2013. Apparently not enough to make them think I might defect to AA/US.

Last edited by jclarke; Jan 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
Different offers yesterday...

No RPU or miles, but I did get these three beauties from United yesterday:

• "Drive away with more miles in Chicago with Avis"
  • "Check Economy Plus availability for your next flight" (Huh?)
  • "Turn every purchase into miles"

Thanks United! (What is the smilie for sarcasm?)
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
    Well this only confirms up my decision to bail on UA. Not only do they continue to screw their FF's, but being a PHX based 1K who travels to South America often, the eminent departures of both US and TAM from Star Alliance leave me little choice. Their service out of PHX is actually on the decline with less flights and more RJ's. One would think the opposite with US leaving the alliance....their reply to my concern posted below. AA eagerly allowed a status match/challenge, which I will commence in July so as to get 18 months of status....C'est la vie.
    Dear Mr. XXXX

Thank you for contacting United Airlines regarding our future routes and services.

Decisions to begin or expand service will be made following careful consideration and market analysis. We will continue to maximize our resources by strategically placing each of our aircraft in a market or route where it will provide the most benefit. We will consider all options to ensure optimum service for our customers, shareholders, and the communities we serve.

We truly regret disappointing or inconveniencing our customers. Your comments will be included in a report that is distributed to senior management for internal review.

As a Premier 1K member with our MileagePlus program, our goal is to retain you as a loyal and satisfied United customer. Next time you fly with us, I am confident you will experience the outstanding service and operational reliability we traditionally provide and that you deserve.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Kind regards,
    United Customer Care
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
    I got just the 4 rpu's and I am a 1k via segment flyer. About 40% of those segments were on US and I've switched to US/AA at this point but did purchase 3 UA transcon's in 2014 so far.
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
    For all the angst this is causing, it seems fairly clear that this is targeted at folks who flew on US and is being done in the hope that defections to AA can be saved. Sucks for me as a BIS-1K, but it's a fairly rational move for UA. This is about influencing a change in behaviour, not rewarding existing patterns.

Whether it will actually have the intended effect is a different question...
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:51 pm
    Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
    Annoying; here I am failing GPU-supported u/gs on Saturdays on CLE-LAS, EWR-PHX, CLE-PHX, etc. And UA is handing out more RPUs and higher status like candy? Just freaking great.
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:30 pm
    RNE

Originally Posted by cricketer
    For all the angst this is causing...
    The angst is very limited. What would you say is the fractional percent of people who received this e-mailed offer and are also active on FlyerTalk?

RNE, answer: 1/∞%
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:17 pm
    In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
    Originally Posted by cfischer
    United. First they are asking us to spend $10k+ and now they are giving away 1K like candy or 4 RPUs for selected 1Ks. What a joke Seriously considering retAAliating
    You haven't forgot AA comping 1Ks to EXPs going back to April, 2012, some 21 consecutive months now? If you're looking for an airline that's not trying to poach elites, AA might not be for you. There have been some vocal opponents on the AA forum about all the status matches at the 1K level (not me...I say "welcome aboard".) Having said that, I haven't found my elite perks any less than prior years at AA even with the 1K comps there. No impact at all and all my numbers there still look stellar.

Would you just be jumping into another fire, although one without a spending minimum?

Tom in Vienna, Austria
    Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
    Originally Posted by exerda
    Annoying; here I am failing GPU-supported u/gs on Saturdays on CLE-LAS, EWR-PHX, CLE-PHX, etc. And UA is handing out more RPUs and higher status like candy? Just freaking great.
    Same here. GPU UG fail on a U fare DEN-IAH Sunday morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.