Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GregMM
  • Offer apparently targeted at UA elites who flew US last year and credited miles to MileagePlus (possibly targeted only at those who bought premium tickets on US and credited to MP). You can only register for a promotion for which you were targeted, so this will only help if you were targeted but for some reason didn't get or lost the email.
  • No offer for people whose primary address is non-US
  • 4 RPU + 4 UC passes
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTW
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs + 20K PQM
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTY
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs only, no PQM
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTU
  • Platinums get instant upgrade to 1K till 05/31 with 35K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+4RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTT
  • Golds get instant upgrade to Platinum till 05/31 with 18K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+2RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTS
  • Slivers get instant upgrade to Gold till 05/31 with 12.5K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+15,000 bonus award miles also)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTR
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
First they set up more barriers to achieving status (PQD) then they go ahead and devalue it....Upcoming bookings must not look so great.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
I just got a very similar offer I am Silver... and got an offer for Gold...

Was ready to sign up and saw this on the terms and conditions:
6. If you are unable to complete the qualifying travel requirement by May 31, 2014, your complimentary MileagePlus Premier status will expire and you will be returned to a lower Premier level at United’s MileagePlus sole discretion.

So if I read this correctly, if I fail this challenge, United may or may not remove my Silver Status for the remainder of the year?!?!?! Good grief I'm terrified of this offer if that has any teeth to it!

(Similar terms fly 12,500 PQM or 15 PQS - no PQD requirement from Feb 1 to May 31)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
First they set up more barriers to achieving status (PQD) then they go ahead and devalue it....Upcoming bookings must not look so great.
i doubt this has anything to do with upcoming booking but rather the total number of elites - they are probably short of what they consider to be appropriate...

number this will drop even more with PQD requirements so i fully expect more promos - but likely targeted
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
I just got this offer. I'm Gold via segments, primary in the US Southwest. Lately I've taken more flights on US than UA, but have been crediting them to MP. I wonder if this is something like AA's offer to attempt to lure US's Star Golds - could UA actually want me to stay?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
i doubt this has anything to do with upcoming booking but rather the total number of elites - they are probably short of what they consider to be appropriate...

number this will drop even more with PQD requirements so i fully expect more promos - but likely targeted
I actually thought their goal was to have fewer elites. They have been very focused on downplaying elite status by TOD/HOD upgrades and other elite unfriendly actions.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
So this MM Gold got no offer to neither..... I guess I spend too much. My PQD is already at 4500, with 7000 miles. I'm not worthy of Plat and now worthy of an extra 20K miles
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by edsh
Received this email:

With our compliments: 4 Regional Premier Upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles are yours. We appreciate your commitment to United, and thank you for making us your airline of choice.

To enhance your travel experience with United this year, we are offering you 4 complimentary Regional Premier® Upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles valid toward to the 2015 Program year. All you have to do is register by March 15, 2014, and you will see them in your account within 7 - 10 days.

Thank you for being one of the best customers of United and MileagePlus, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.
Fascinating. Have you been flying less on UA lately?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trm2
How much good are those 20k PQMs without PQDs?
Plenty, depending on your travel pattern. My next trip will come in at 21cpm, so PQDs aren't going to be a problem for me. Unfortunately, I don't seem to get any promotional mail from United (except for MP shopping), even though I have everything turned on in my profile. It's been that way ever since 3/12, so even if I'm eligible I'll never know.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I also got this at Silver, to go to Gold. I don't know if I'm going to fly enough to hit that requirement, but is there any reason not to take this? I can see why higher elites hate it, but I'm not really seeing a downside for me?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bernsa
I just got a very similar offer I am Silver... and got an offer for Gold...

Was ready to sign up and saw this on the terms and conditions:
6. If you are unable to complete the qualifying travel requirement by May 31, 2014, your complimentary MileagePlus Premier status will expire and you will be returned to a lower Premier level at United’s MileagePlus sole discretion.

So if I read this correctly, if I fail this challenge, United may or may not remove my Silver Status for the remainder of the year?!?!?! Good grief I'm terrified of this offer if that has any teeth to it!

(Similar terms fly 12,500 PQM or 15 PQS - no PQD requirement from Feb 1 to May 31)
I think your Silver status is earned, not complimentary. So they're saying they'll grant you gold, then if you don't meet the challenge, they'll take the gold away from you. The "sole discretion" part gives them some wiggle room if they want to give you gold even if you fail to meet the challenge.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by horse glasses
I also got this at Silver, to go to Gold. I don't know if I'm going to fly enough to hit that requirement, but is there any reason not to take this? I can see why higher elites hate it, but I'm not really seeing a downside for me?
I'm waiting for someone to explain this specific T&C:

Last edited by bernsa; Jan 24, 2014 at 3:03 pm Reason: Bolding for emphasis
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sogboulder
Plenty, depending on your travel pattern. My next trip will come in at 21cpm, so PQDs aren't going to be a problem for me. Unfortunately, I don't seem to get any promotional mail from United (except for MP shopping), even though I have everything turned on in my profile. It's been that way ever since 3/12, so even if I'm eligible I'll never know.
Same here. My cpm averages .21-28 typically and the only email I ever receive is to pay to ship my bags.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Why are they working overtime to devalue 1K and give Golds/Silvers something we have to now spend atleast $7.5K/$10K to get RPUs?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bernsa
I'm waiting for someone to explain this specific T&C:
There's no way they are just going to take away Silver, since it was earned. I'm 99% sure that means you'll just drop back to Silver. I'm curious as to what it may not include. I know it said you couldn't use other Star Alliance lounges, I wonder if there's anything else? I do have to book something relatively soon, so I'm wondering if I should wait til this has been changed so I can pick E+ right away.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by limey1K
Originally Posted by sogboulder
Same here. My cpm averages .21-28 typically and the only email I ever receive is to pay to ship my bags.
I always love the"Use your miles to upgrade now!" email a few days before CPU opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.