Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goalie
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Originally Posted by alex_b
Welcome to FT. These questions are exhaustively covered in the wiki at the top of the OJ and Stopover Thread.

To answer your question you can have one stopover (i.e. a stop on the ground of longer than 24 hours) in addition to your destination.

Your proposed itinerary looks fine although you will almost certainly be unable to get this to price online. Potential issues are:
1. Many agents will state that crossing both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans makes it a round-the-world itinerary - it does not.
2. Many agents will say you are not allowed an open jaw at a stopover - you are. You may wish to try and book the route without the openjaw and then create it later by deleting the relevant segment. Backtracking through FRA is also likely to make it harder to book.
3. You can have a maximum of four flights each way, you're going to be tight up against this on the outbound with a stop in Europe.

You don't need to (nor probably can you) fly the same carrier throughout, I have an itinerary booked that involves SK, NZ, TG and LX flights.

I would identify space segment by segment and then call in to book this. If you're elite they'll waive the phone booking fee.
I personally tried to change a return ticket connecting through Europe (no stop) to a more desirable date, but all agents I got said that it's a round the world ticket and even quoted that their supervisor say so. No matter what I said they said you are mistakenly informed and you either accept to be transferred to the round the world desk or hangup. The last call back I got the same so I gave up and took a direct YYZ-TPE by EVA on a less desirable date. Somehow an initial try could not be ticketed so he went to the support desk (possibly his supervisor again), and came back saying that that it was because that flight also crosses Atlantic so it is round the world. I of coruse said it's not so we went back to the disagreement again until I told him that it was the exact itinerary but at a different date. That's when he agreed to check again and came back saying that it's cleared. Not admitting his mistake or any apology of course.

I understand that many people say it's legal and some agents will ticket it, but it's getting rare. How are we going to argue with agents when they have the support from their supervisor? It's quite frustrating unless there's a clear rule somewhere that we can refer to.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:02 pm

Timing & Method question

Here is the routing I want to end up with, via UA MP award:

Outbound:
SFO - TPE (stopover) on 12/21
TPE - CNX on 12/25

Return:
BKK - SFO on 1/2

I'll be spending time in three cities -- Taipei, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok. As I understand the rules, I'll have to do CNX-BKK on my own because only one stopover is allowed, and I'm using that on TPE.

I will be traveling during a high demand time period, and so I don't want to wait until 1/2/2015 is bookable to make the whole itinerary (afraid of losing availability for SFO-TPE-CNX if I wait that long). If I book SFO-TPE as a one-way and TPE-CNX as a one-way, then TPE won't be counted as a stopover because I don't have a return yet. So how should I proceed?

1) Get each award segment individually as it becomes available? If I do this, then I'll spend more miles for the outbound OWs...will it get re-priced/refunded when I book my award return?

2) Book an itinerary composed of the segments now but with incorrect dates (and no stopover) and change dates later. I've started down this path already as I have SFO-TPE-CNX but with no stopover in TPE...thinking I'd be able to change the TPE-CNX date when 12/25 inventory becomes bookable. I'd also have to make a strawman return (BKK-SFO) and keep changing the date for that.

FWIW, I'm MP Plat. Advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 49er
So how should I proceed?

1) Get each award segment individually as it becomes available? If I do this, then I'll spend more miles for the outbound OWs...will it get re-priced/refunded when I book my award return?

2) Book an itinerary composed of the segments now but with incorrect dates (and no stopover) and change dates later. I've started down this path already as I have SFO-TPE-CNX but with no stopover in TPE...thinking I'd be able to change the TPE-CNX date when 12/25 inventory becomes bookable. I'd also have to make a strawman return (BKK-SFO) and keep changing the date for that.

FWIW, I'm MP Plat. Advice is greatly appreciated.
Option 1 is not viable. You cannot do stopovers on a one-way and you can't combine separate PNRs into a single itinerary. So just keep adding segments to the existing itinerary. When BKK-SFO becomes bookable, add it to your existing itinerary to create a RT.

You do want to get all your flights in place by Jan. 31, to avoid the higher award redemption rates. So yes, if your desired return date is not available by Jan. 31, book the flights you want BKK-SFO and change the dates later. Make sure they are precisely the flights you want, because if you change anything except the date, your award will likely reprice at the new rates.

Note that Christmas is a very low volume travel day.

TG has very cheap flights CNX-BKK.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ycc777
No matter what I said they said you are mistakenly informed and you either accept to be transferred to the round the world desk or hangup.
Personally I'd have spoken to the RTW desk, they at least know what a RTW is and isn't because it's their day job.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Platinum Ambassador
Is it possible to book Asia-NA via Europe using multicity? The search errors out each time on me - wondering if the answer is just "call", or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmw9983
Is it possible to book Asia-NA via Europe using multicity? The search errors out each time on me - wondering if the answer is just "call", or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.
Just call, the website doesn't do complex.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I'm looking to book US-Europe. I'm flying from LAX, my friend will be joining me from BOS. I'm booking two RTs using my miles.

What's the best approach to book this? We obviously want to be on the same flights. Is it possible to book using the same PNR? That is to say:

LAX-[Gateway]-Europe
BOS-[Gateway]-Europe

Or, alternatively, if BOS is used as the gateway, can I do LAX-BOS-Europe and keep my friend's BOS-Europe?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I'm looking to book US-Europe. I'm flying from LAX, my friend will be joining me from BOS. I'm booking two RTs using my miles.

What's the best approach to book this? We obviously want to be on the same flights. Is it possible to book using the same PNR? That is to say:

LAX-[Gateway]-Europe
BOS-[Gateway]-Europe

Or, alternatively, if BOS is used as the gateway, can I do LAX-BOS-Europe and keep my friend's BOS-Europe?
Must be exact same itinerary to be on same PNR. If the miles come from your account, your friend inherits your status, even if on different PNR.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Must be exact same itinerary to be on same PNR. If the miles come from your account, your friend inherits your status, even if on different PNR.
That's what I figured. I guess the challenge will be to ensure there are two seats available on all the flights, then quickly book one, then quickly book the second.

We'll still be able to use *G Lounges, since I'll be the *G member, and he'll be the +1 guest. I was just trying to avoid the headache of booking one long trip (I'm planning on using the maximum 8 segments) then having to do the same thing all over again.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
is this middleast/aus routing valid?

Would this routing work for 80K in Y?
USA-SYD (stopover)-JED (destination)// JED-USA or alternatively KHI-USA

I've been told a similar routing works via Asia instead of Aus for 65K in Y.

A little nervous about calling them to check. I didn't have luck doing it online.

Any help is appreciated? Cheers!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:34 pm

Not likely. Some agents might force it through but generally your options between North America and Australia are either non-stops, Hawaii, North Asia or South Asia as UA defines the award zones (not the IATA definitions of those regions).

And there's almost no chance of getting SYD marked as the stopover and JED or KWI as the destination rather than SYD as the destination.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
Ok, would this work for 65K in Y?

USA-Indonesia (stopover)-JED // KHI-EUR-USA.

My understanding is that middle east w Asia counts as asia price.

TIA!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Hey Everyone,

First time booking a ticket with UA miles and had a routing question. Currently I have booked EWR-BRU(12 hour connection)-MUC-BKK(Stopover)-ICN(Destination)-JFK. We'll be in BKK for 6 days and from what I've gathered, that's way too much time. Would it be valid to tack on BKK-HKT where HKT would become my destination and then open jaw from BKK-ICN? Based on what I've read, I believe this is valid but wanted to get someone else's take before I call.

To summarize is EWR-BRU(12 hour connection)-MUC-BKK(4 hour connection)-HKT(Stopover) then BKK-ICN(Destination)-JFK valid routing? I would buy a revenue ticket from HKT back to BKK.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:36 pm

Help with an award ticket!

I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to include either the Maldives or maybe even the Seychelles into a Dubai award trip... something along the lines of this:

EWR-CDG (<24 hour layover)
CDG-AUH (destination)
DXB-MLE (stopover)
MLE-LAX

Obviously I would have to include some additional connections in there to get to MLE, but would this work? Or is there anyway I could switch this around to get it to work for 80-85K RT. I'd be booking after Feb. 1st.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:55 pm

routing through asia

I'm looking to go to Europe from the west coast of the US by booking a one way using united miles for one direction and Singapore airlines miles for the other. Can you route a 1-way from US->Europe or Europe-> through Asia using mileage plus miles or Singapore airlines miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.