Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goalie
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 54austin
I just booked DEN-FRA-PVG-TPE in F for 120k miles (one-way, partner first class). Will they let me add a TPE-TYO (or somewhere else in Japan) segment? If so, it should be 10k fewer miles, right?

Thanks.
You might run into issues with a 4th connection on a one way
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Award ticket strategy questions (to CGK on UA/ANA)

I am trying to book saver award tickets MEM-IAH-NRT-CGK.

1. There is no saver award MEM-IAH. Can I book IAH-NRT-CGK and have an agent add MEM? Or is there another way to do this?

2. IAH-NRT-CGK is available as a saver award. NRT-CGK is an ANA flight. Business is not available. I have booked my traveling companion (leaving from a different US city) all the way to CGK in business. I'm assuming ANA only releases one award business seat until the last minute.

Should I go on and book the IAH-NRT-CGK ticket and watch and see if business opens up? I know I can't wait list for the CGK let since it's ANA. If business does open up how do I snag it?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manneca
1. There is no saver award MEM-IAH. Can I book IAH-NRT-CGK and have an agent add MEM? Or is there another way to do this?
If you are Plat or 1K, there is no charge to add segments later, so yes, this is a reasonable strategy. One of the best benefits of status.

2. IAH-NRT-CGK is available as a saver award. NRT-CGK is an ANA flight. Business is not available. I have booked my traveling companion (leaving from a different US city) all the way to CGK in business. I'm assuming ANA only releases one award business seat until the last minute.
Why are you assuming that? Have you been watching NH's release patterns? IME, that is not how NH handles award inventory.

Should I go on and book the IAH-NRT-CGK ticket and watch and see if business opens up? I know I can't wait list for the CGK let since it's ANA. If business does open up how do I snag it?
You could do that, but there's absolutely no assurance NH will ever open more business seats on that flight. You might want to consider alternative routings.

If/when business opens on that or any other route, you call UA and ask them to change the reservation.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:35 am

You should be able to waitlist the MEM-IAH segment as part of the booking. It will require a call to do that.

If you book it as a business award with the ANA segment in Y you can always change it if business opens up. Should be no charge for that.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

Why are you assuming that? Have you been watching NH's release patterns? IME, that is not how NH handles award inventory.
What is your experience. I've been watching this flight for about a month and only one business seat has opened. In your experience, when does ANA open more seats?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manneca
What is your experience. I've been watching this flight for about a month and only one business seat has opened. In your experience, when does ANA open more seats?
Again, why are you assuming NH will open more seats? IME they are not one of the carriers where you can count on releases of additional award inventory close to departure. It might happen, but it's not nearly so predictable as it is with carriers such as TG, BR, or UA.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Currently have an open jaw r/t saver award routing BOS>MUC>ARN on 14 Jul 2015 / CPH>YYZ>BOS on 31 Jul 2015, all in Y. I'd like to extend my trip by three days by adding a stopover in Berlin on the way back, since the rules indicate that a stopover is allowed even on an open jaw.

To be clear, what I'm expecting on the return is CPH>TXL>(???)>BOS

No matter how hard I try, though, I can't get the new routing to take at all -- throws an error message when I get to the TXL>BOS leg, even though there's substantial saver award availability in LH Y on my intended revised return date, 3 Aug 2015.

Help?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
No matter how hard I try, though, I can't get the new routing to take at all -- throws an error message when I get to the TXL>BOS leg, even though there's substantial saver award availability in LH Y on my intended revised return date, 3 Aug 2015.

Help?
Not uncommon for the online system to fail with stopovers and/or OJs. Suspect you will need to call.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
is LAX-ICN-BKK/SIN-AKL a valid routing to NZ these days? i guess likely not, but figured i would ask anyways.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is LAX-ICN-BKK/SIN-AKL a valid routing to NZ these days? i guess likely not, but figured i would ask anyways.
I don't have an answer for you but a question somewhat in conjunction with this.

Looking to go USA-NZ r/t.

If I find UA award space from USA-Asia(TYO,ICN,BKK) but obviously only partner from Asia to Australia will it price out as a partner award or UA award.

I have seen mixed reviews in regards to this based on Europe travel ie. EWR-LHR (UA) then onwards LX to ZRH and FCO. That being charged UA award price.

I have not seen info based on a longhaul redemption where UA does not operate but are also used for the dominant leg of the trip.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
.com will still return the ICN routing to SYD.

I would definitely give it a shot.

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
If I find UA award space from USA-Asia(TYO,ICN,BKK) but obviously only partner from Asia to Australia will it price out as a partner award or UA award.
That would price at the *A partner rate. The only time you get to keep the UA metal rate is if you are connecting within the same region.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Closing this thread as the new "2015" thread is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.