Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goalie
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You may also be running into a segment limit. There are just too many variables to pinpoint the problem.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You may also be running into a segment limit. There are just too many variables to pinpoint the problem.
I thought it might be a segment error as well, as there are 4 on the outbound and 8 on the return.

Oddly though, if I make the departure into Mykonos rather than Tbilisi, it will book the whole trip online, still with 4 outbound segments and 8 return. So I'm feeling like that might not be the problem.

I was so proud of myself for doing my due diligence, but it looks like I'm running up against a wall. :/
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:45 pm

Plz help United Award Asia to U.S via Europe & one extra question

Hi,

I am new to united award booking and trying to use up my miles before 1st Feb!

Trying to book these flights on business class,would this routing be allowed as 1 RT ticket?

ATL - PEK ( stay 20 hours ) - PVG
HKG - PRG (stopover) (open jaw) CDG - ATL

We are actually pretty flexible with where we stopover in Europe and where to fly out from Europe; as we are planning to travel around in EU for a month.Please kindly suggest which airlines would be the best to redeem biz class award tickets from asia to us via Europe (nice cabin and good availability).

One extra question: my husband would need to do a trip as below, as he has a meeting back in u.s between our trips in asia and Europe. Could you suggest what would be the cost effective way to book the United award.

ATL - HKG
HKG - SFO
SFO - PRG/CDG/FRA or any other major EUairport
PRG/CDG/FRA or any other major EUairport - ATL

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:29 am

Hello

I tried to call UA twice already and the rate desk kept giving me 110K instead. Should this be priced at 67.5K?

YYZ-FRA (Connection)
FRA-BKK (Connection)
BKK-HND (Destination)

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anchor79
Hello

I tried to call UA twice already and the rate desk kept giving me 110K instead. Should this be priced at 67.5K?

YYZ-FRA (Connection)
FRA-BKK (Connection)
BKK-HND (Destination)

Thanks for your input.
how long are your connections?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:11 am

Hi guys, please help, so I can price out ICN-SYD-AKL-PPT//PPT-AKL-BKK-TPE as one round trip award. But I want to add in TPE-ICN, so that would make TPE as the stopover point, but the system keeps erroring out. Any hints? Also, I can go to TPE before or after PPT if it makes any difference due what is considered stopover vs destination, thanks
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi guys, please help, so I can price out ICN-SYD-AKL-PPT//PPT-AKL-BKK-TPE as one round trip award. But I want to add in TPE-ICN, so that would make TPE as the stopover point, but the system keeps erroring out. Any hints? Also, I can go to TPE before or after PPT if it makes any difference due what is considered stopover vs destination, thanks
Call
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
As a data point I got this to succcessfully go on hold using United.com:

FRA - BIO (stopover)
BIO - FRA - OSL (open-jaw)
BGO - FRA

25,000 Miles and $118 per person

The website wouldn't let me price it out / hold it with a more preferred connection so I called and successfully had a United agent change it to:

FRA - BIO (stopover)
BIO - MUC - OSL (open-jaw)
BGO - FRA

25,000 Miles and $111 per person
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
how long are your connections?
no more than 24 hours each!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
no more than 24 hours each!
That's theoretically a 67,500 mile one way ticket in F.

But you may not be allowed to transit S Asia to get to Japan. Did they give you an explanation?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's theoretically a 67,500 mile one way ticket in F.

But you may not be allowed to transit S Asia to get to Japan. Did they give you an explanation?
First time they quoted 110K , then 90K. They said I can't connect in 2 regions (Europe & S. Asia) in this case.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:39 am

Red face USA>>ASIA via EUROPE

Hi All-

My first post. Woot. Long time lurker and have a quick question. I would like to route to Asia via Europe via something like this all in J. Can I have two stop overs on a round trip award ticket? I have 234K United Miles.

ATL>>FRA>>NCE stop (Can I get from NCE back to FRA?)
FRA>>HKG stop (Can I stop again in HKG?)
HKG>>FRA>>ATL (do I have to route via Europe on the way back to USA?)
or
HKG>>LAX>>ATL (If possible)

Do I have to fly the same carrier? ex. LH

Thanks for your help, I am still learning.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hpfiend
Hi All-

My first post. Woot. Long time lurker and have a quick question. I would like to route to Asia via Europe via something like this all in J. Can I have two stop overs on a round trip award ticket? I have 234K United Miles.

ATL>>FRA>>NCE stop (Can I get from NCE back to FRA?)
FRA>>HKG stop (Can I stop again in HKG?)
HKG>>FRA>>ATL (do I have to route via Europe on the way back to USA?)
or
HKG>>LAX>>ATL (If possible)

Do I have to fly the same carrier? ex. LH

Thanks for your help, I am still learning.
Welcome to FT. These questions are exhaustively covered in the wiki at the top of the OJ and Stopover Thread.

To answer your question you can have one stopover (i.e. a stop on the ground of longer than 24 hours) in addition to your destination.

Your proposed itinerary looks fine although you will almost certainly be unable to get this to price online. Potential issues are:
1. Many agents will state that crossing both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans makes it a round-the-world itinerary - it does not.
2. Many agents will say you are not allowed an open jaw at a stopover - you are. You may wish to try and book the route without the openjaw and then create it later by deleting the relevant segment. Backtracking through FRA is also likely to make it harder to book.
3. You can have a maximum of four flights each way, you're going to be tight up against this on the outbound with a stop in Europe.

You don't need to (nor probably can you) fly the same carrier throughout, I have an itinerary booked that involves SK, NZ, TG and LX flights.

I would identify space segment by segment and then call in to book this. If you're elite they'll waive the phone booking fee.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
First time they quoted 110K , then 90K. They said I can't connect in 2 regions (Europe & S. Asia) in this case.
Call back. Some agents allow this, some don't. Sometimes the rate desk allows it, sometimes they don't. I've done JFK-FRA-NRT(stop)-BKK half a dozen times w no problems. That's almost same thing your doing except I stopped in NRT & your stopping in BKK but same route
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Is this valid award

TYO-BKK-PVG-AKL-PPT Destintion
PPT-AKL-PVG-TPE Stopover
TPE-TYO

I have some doubt about the number of regions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.