Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
Hello,

very noob question......Am I still obliged to fly 4 united segments to reach Silver/Gold status?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by KiteM
Hello,

very noob question......Am I still obliged to fly 4 united segments to reach Silver/Gold status?
Yes
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
Originally Posted by Artemk
Yes
Thanks....so for non US based it's quite impossible to reach status
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KiteM
Thanks....so for non US based it's quite impossible to reach status
If you never fly to the US or make use of the few UA intra-international flights (Asia in particular) or fly COPA (South America) then yes it could be an issue.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver(!), SPG Gold, United Silver
Premier: Finding "last seat" Award Availability

Hi all:
Are there blackout dates for finding "last seat" award availability? I was trying to use my miles to book flights to Florida during Christmas break. As a Premier Silver I see I get access to last-seat availability when there are seats for sale on the flight:

Better award availability

Premier members have unrestricted access to United Standard Awards. If theres a United seat for sale, these members can get it with award miles, guaranteed, even if its the last seat on the airplane.

Premier members also have better access to Saver Awards in United Economy. Additionally, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members have better access to Saver Awards in United Business, United BusinessFirst, and United First on 2-cabin aircraft. This benefit is also available for Saver Awards in United First and United Global FirstSM on 3-cabin aircraft until January 31, 2013. To get the best award search results, Premier members should sign in to united.com with their MileagePlus number and PIN when searching for travel awards.
So--if there are 4 coach seats for sale on *many* flights on the day I'm looking for--how come I don't see the same Standard Award availability for the same flights (on the same day, of course)? I know it's a busy time, but the flights have seats.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Does UAL give a gift when achieving Platinum or higher like DAL? Platinum Achieved via Status Match Challenge?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Does UAL give a gift when achieving Platinum or higher like DAL? Platinum Achieved via Status Match Challenge?
Depends on what you call a gift --UA provides luggage tags in the annual renewal package in January. There will be drink chits also and you can request a gold/yellow bag handle wrap for "expedited" gate checking.

What does DL provide?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:01 am Reason: Correct typo.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depends on what you call a gift --UA provides luggage tags in the annual renewal package in January. There will be drink chits also and you can request a gold/yellow bag handle wrap for "expedited" gate checking.

What does DL provide?
Called Choice benefits - choose one: gift status to another person, extra miles, upgrade certificates, etc. - use link below for full list.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...fits/index.jsp

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:04 am Reason: conforming correction to original quote.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Is there a thread dedicated to other charges/revenue sources that elites don't get credit for?

I was just looking at my annual expenses and between $200 change fees and food/drink (high this year without CPUs/RPUs) there should be some discussion. These two types of expenses have to be the highest margin out of any revenue line...
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by CashN
Is there a thread dedicated to other charges/revenue sources that elites don't get credit for?

I was just looking at my annual expenses and between $200 change fees and food/drink (high this year without CPUs/RPUs) there should be some discussion. These two types of expenses have to be the highest margin out of any revenue line...
If referring to PQD credit, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CashN
At the 24 hour mark they were coming like clockwork. I have boatloads of them and the last few times... Nothing.
Yes, I still receive them, the last one being less than a week ago.

Occasionally I received the notification at T-24 even when the upgrade had been cleared and remained cleared. I almost missed a beat when I saw the e-mail title.

Upgrade Status Update for Confirmation ######

We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from XXX to YYY. While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Neil35
Yes, I still receive them, the last one being less than a week ago.

Occasionally I received the notification at T-24 even when the upgrade had been cleared and remained cleared. I almost missed a beat when I saw the e-mail title.
Yep, that's the email. They stopped coming for some reason. I was really enjoying saving up all of them for a year end review.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by Medeski
Does United refund EC fees if a Global Upgrade certificate clears? I'm flying LAX-MEL and SYD-SFO in the next month and a buddy hooked me up with two global upgrade certificates. Because I'm only a silver on UA I have to pay for EC seats and for a 14+ hour flight I'd like to minimize my risk of a truly miserable seat if possible.

I know Delta doesnt refund EC fees but I thought (long shot wished really) that United might be different

EDIT:
I just realized why my search wasnt turning up any answers. I was using the Delta term (Economy Comfort) to search when I should have been using Economy Plus. Still looking for answer but apologies for not using the correct airline language
GPU cleared for the LAX-MEL leg of this trip. I'll post back here once I fly the flight and let you know what happens with the E+ seat purchases.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Revenue-Award Nested Trip

Planning a trip for next year to MUC/GVA. Looking at all my options for award and $$ tickets. Can I confirm the following is "legal"

AAA-BBB Revenue One-way
BBB-CCC Award
CCC-BBB Award
BBB-AAA Revenue One-way

This might allow me too get to a city with a saver award by paying for the one-way tickets.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Tall Paul
..... Can I confirm the following is "legal"

AAA-BBB Revenue One-way
BBB-CCC Award
CCC-BBB Award
BBB-AAA Revenue One-way
Should be no problem -- no rules issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.