Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by tmelanio
I forgot how to find GPU eligible fares. For mco-sin I clicked on "mileage plus awards" in the advanced search. All I am getting is "30,000 miles and $600 each way" for various dates in November.
Used Advanced search and under fare classes you can enter the specific class of service (W,V,Q,H,M,B,Y). At the same time select mileage plus upgrade award.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I forgot how to find GPU eligible fares. For mco-sin I clicked on "mileage plus awards" in the advanced search. All I am getting is "30,000 miles and $600 each way" for various dates in November.

http://blog.wandr.me/2012/03/the-new...swuable-fares/

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by TommyB1965
Thanks - did that, and am now on at no.2. Low odds I guess, but still some hope
Just to complete the story, needless to say I didnt get the upgrade & had to endure 5 hours to Phoenix with limited leg room & no DirectTV

In the end I was number 5 on the list & no-one got upgraded. As I was on a GPU & a 1K I thought I would be fairly high priority and so assumed the 4 above me were all GS. But when they called for GS boarding only two people got on, and they both sat in first, so were obviously not in the 4 folks ahead of me. So apart from GS, what would have ranked higher than me (reminder below of my details)?
  • 1K member
  • Exercised a GPU 6 weeks ago
  • Fare class - Q
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So apart from GS, what would have ranked higher than me (reminder below of my details)?
Any 1K on a higher fare. Any 1K on the same fare who requested before you.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:35 am

Is the recent 40% bonus mileage purchase offer worth it? $903 for 40,000 miles? If only I had loaded up when they had the 100% offer, think I paid ~$750 for 40,000 miles then. What are the chances of another 100% offer in the next 2-4 months?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
But when they called for GS boarding only two people got on, and they both sat in first, so were obviously not in the 4 folks ahead of me.
It's also possible that they were hanging out at UC or just chose to board later.

On my last TATL my GPUs cleared, but sat in coach both on the way to EWR and back.

IIRC it was the same with TPAC. If my domestic u/g doesn't clear at booking it virtually never clears.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by sbm12

http://blog.wandr.me/2012/03/the-new...swuable-fares/

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.

I guess I didn't forget how to search eligible GPU fares - I am getting the same results by adding the higher fare classes. On the tedious search day by day for Nov-Dec all the results are the same - either "30,000 miles + $600 each way" or "upgrades not available". I guess end of the year GPU eligible fares have all been slurped up for MCO-SIN.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to complete the story, needless to say I didnt get the upgrade & had to endure 5 hours to Phoenix with limited leg room & no DirectTV

In the end I was number 5 on the list & no-one got upgraded. As I was on a GPU & a 1K I thought I would be fairly high priority and so assumed the 4 above me were all GS. But when they called for GS boarding only two people got on, and they both sat in first, so were obviously not in the 4 folks ahead of me. So apart from GS, what would have ranked higher than me (reminder below of my details)?
  • 1K member
  • Exercised a GPU 6 weeks ago
  • Fare class - Q
Any GS (note not all GS board at the beginning -- some may board later based on GS comments on FT)
Any elite on Y or B fare or 1K on M
Any 1K or GS using GPU/RPU/Miles on a higher fare or same fare but requested earlier.

Any anyone willing to purchase the upgrade with $$$$

I guess I didn't forget how to search eligible GPU fares - I am getting the same results by adding the higher fare classes. On the tedious search day by day for Nov-Dec all the results are the same - either "30,000 miles + $600 each way" or "upgrades not available". I guess end of the year GPU eligible fares have all been slurped up for MCO-SIN.
If a confirmable mileage upgrade is available then a confirmable GPU upgrades seat is available. There both require available inventory space (R).

Any W or higher fare is upgradeable but it may not be confirmable at booking. Appears you are having issue finding confirmable at booking space -- not uncommon but that does not mean there will not be upgrades (but does add uncertainty).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 pm

Try searching just the US->NRT/HKG segments. If the MCO->gateway or NRT/HKG->SIN segment has no space then the whole thing will show nada.
Originally Posted by Stylewars
Is the recent 40% bonus mileage purchase offer worth it? $903 for 40,000 miles? If only I had loaded up when they had the 100% offer, think I paid ~$750 for 40,000 miles then. What are the chances of another 100% offer in the next 2-4 months?
That's 2.25cpm. Award Accelerator generally is a reliable 1.9cpm.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Try searching just the US->NRT/HKG segments. If the MCO->gateway or NRT/HKG->SIN segment has no space then the whole thing will show nada.

That's 2.25cpm. Award Accelerator generally is a reliable 1.9cpm.
Unfortunately don't have the time to do award accelerators. I don't have any bookings coming up - just wanted to take an opportunity to buy some points at decent value. I might not use them for another year. Do you think they will offer better than 40% any time in the near future - or will it only get more expensive?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Unfortunately don't have the time to do award accelerators. I don't have any bookings coming up - just wanted to take an opportunity to buy some points at decent value. I might not use them for another year. Do you think they will offer better than 40% any time in the near future - or will it only get more expensive?
40% off purchased miles has occurred occasionally over the past few year -- no way to predict if it will or will not occur again or when. 40% is about the best discount offered IME.

Award Accelerator purchases can be made with a dummy / fake booking that you cancel within the free cancellation period (24 hours or a fully refundable ticket). After cancelling you keep the purchased Award Accelerator miles.

It general, most on FT would warn against banking miles, especially with extra purchases. The airlines can and have change the earning tables with minimal advance notice. A 10/20/...% devaluation can turn a good price into a fair or middling price.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:54 pm

Unfortunately don't have the time to do award accelerators. I don't have any bookings coming up
This is what the 24-hour cancel window is good for. :-:

I might not use them for another year.
Then don't buy them now. It is unlikely that you'll come out ahead by "investing" in RDMs.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Question

The ticket prices on a reservation that I booked back in May have fallen almost $500 each (2 tickets = almost $1000 total difference). I realize that there is a $200 change fee per ticket ($400 total), but even after that, the difference is close to $600. Do I have to pay the $400 out-of-pocket, or can that simply be deducted from the travel voucher that I would receive? If I have to pay out-of-pocket, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any advice would be helpful.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ryanmcv
If I have to pay out-of-pocket, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
It's new money. If you plan on flying UA in the future probaby worth it @:-)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
The ticket prices on a reservation that I booked back in May have fallen almost $500 each (2 tickets = almost $1000 total difference). I realize that there is a $200 change fee per ticket ($400 total), but even after that, the difference is close to $600. Do I have to pay the $400 out-of-pocket, or can that simply be deducted from the travel voucher that I would receive? If I have to pay out-of-pocket, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any advice would be helpful.
The change fee is new out of pocket money
Caution -- not all change fees are $200, some are higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.